Drainage ducts need cleaning Sir. Kerching!!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:06 pm Seriously, it took me 30 minutes to clear my drains, you are definitely over thinking this.
You assume I'd want to regularly spend time clearing them, and that I'd be physically able to.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.

Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Old Chimer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:28 pm
Kleynie wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:06 pm Seriously, it took me 30 minutes to clear my drains, you are definitely over thinking this.
You assume I'd want to regularly spend time clearing them, and that I'd be physically able to.
Then have them cleared at the dealer during it’s scheduled service. I’m sure if you have a decent relationship with them, they’ll do a deal.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

I’ve got it - forget the pano roof, you need a super bright starlight headliner :D
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

or maybe a chainsaw? I'm told silver birch do well in a log burner.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Not really. It burns too quickly. Beech, Ash or Oak for a high heat ouput....
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Old Chimer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:31 pm
SAC1 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:35 pm
Old Chimer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:46 pm This issue is really bugging me as I really would like to spec the pano roof, not for the opening but for the light it lets in. If I have it but NEVER open the roof, can I safely assume the drains cannot become blocked, even if it's parked under trees?
Just spec it. You will be fine....unless you regularly park under trees.
That's the issue, I do (and have no choice but to due to TPO on the tree in question).
Have you thought of a car cover? Hassle I know but helps in keeping it clean generally and speeds up frost and snow (a white substance that falls from the sky, for those southern softies who may never have experienced it) clearance.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I think we are massively over thinking this. The design is no different from other manufacturers and I don't believe we can say the drains are prone to blocking more on Macans. In my three years living with a Macan parked outside I have only had one minor issue. The issue is what Porsche charge for clearing the drains - if they charged a nominal £50 then this thread wouldn't even exist.

My son fixes Audi sunroofs and they are no different except they soak the head lining and in some cases the head lining has to be retrimmed or replaced. At least ours don't do that.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I check that the drains are running clear, possibly yearly, and have had no problems to date.
EDZ

Post by EDZ »

The more important issue is many opt pano roof because the SE tells you best for resale. It cost you to spec it, and continues to cost you on annual maintenance and basically adds no value to resale. Don't spec it unless you want it and are going to use it, and obviously keep paying out on it, so eventually £££££££££ out of pocket and the headaches that come with it.
Maserati Grecale Trofeo (Primaserie) Collected April 2023
Macan Gen 3 GTS on order: Cancalled April 2023
Macan 2019 GTS Black. (On loan to son in law)
Mini Cooper S (Local run about)
Macan 2016 S D V/Grey (sold)
robbie

Post by robbie »

Thought I would bring this thread back to life - Just had my 4yr service at Tewkesbury OPC, it was set at £797 which included the break fluid change. When I got the sales invoice which shows the breakdown I noticed they charge £52 + VAT to carry out front and rear drain tube 'checks' Alas the rear drain ducts where blocked but they do not clear them during the service just tell you on the health check that they need clearing along with their estimate of £159.00. There is a lot of information on this thread and it appears a fairly easy job to fix. The visual check to confirm they are blocked must take all of a minute or two when the car is up on the ramps so just making you aware that if your 4yr service is coming up watch out for this charge being part of your service cost. They certainly do not do this at the initial 2yr service when of course the car is still under warranty!!
My car has been kept under a full car cover for many months when not in use and the pano roof has very rarely been opened since taking delivery but these drain tubes still manage to get blocked up.....
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018