break-in period for 2024 macan s

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

3,000km is a really long run-in period but I stuck to it and to be honest the Macan S has plenty of torque and you aren’t short of acceleration below 4,000rpm. And luckily the rev counter is front and centre on the dash. I just kept the car in comfort mode throughout my run-in period - it’s easier that way and the car will keep the revs low for you as long as you don’t stamp on the throttle and ignore the rev counter.

Doing some long journeys is very helpful - good for the engine and also gets you to 3,000km sooner. It’s a nice excuse to plan a driving holiday to enjoy your new car. I went to see some friends in Dorset and then took a driving trip to the Lake District after Christmas. It was really enjoyable and the Macan is excellent for that kind of use. As a new driver there is also nothing better for you than getting a few thousand miles under your belt with a mix of motorway and town driving.

There are older threads here where there was good information relayed from a Porsche engine engineer explaining why the run-in guidance is what it is. If you want to look after the engine and keep the car long-term then you should follow the guidance as closely as you can. I definitely felt that the engine on my Macan S became smoother after about 1,400 miles.

Enjoy your Macan. It’s a lovely place to sit, easy to drive, well-suited for every kind of use. It’s a very well-sorted, ergonomic, and user-friendly machine considering the 380bhp under your right foot. And it’s easy to drive it calmly and just enjoy the ride and the comfort.

Your in-car sound system will need 100-200 hours of play too before it sounds as good as it can, so give that a run-in period too, starting with soft volumes and increasing gradually.

andreas

Post by andreas »

zzed wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:50 pm

I recent took delivery of my 2024 macan s, I just passed my driving test last week and this is also my first car.
Does this sound right??
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

andreas wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:16 pm

I recent took delivery of my 2024 macan s, I just passed my driving test last week and this is also my first car.
Does this sound right??
For some people, probably. My first car was a Renault 5 1.4L. Took me a long time to work my way up to a Porsche.

Also, looking at some of the OP’s other posts, he just passed his UK test but has had a driving licence in another country for ten years.
crockers

Post by crockers »

God I'd hate your insurance cost 😁
zzed

Post by zzed »

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:20 pm

Does this sound right??
For some people, probably. My first car was a Renault 5 1.4L. Took me a long time to work my way up to a Porsche.

Also, looking at some of the OP’s other posts, he just passed his UK test but has had a driving licence in another country for ten years.
honestly, I haven't been driving for those 10 years as I moved to the UK right after I got my license from another country. I will try to take it very easy. The car was my wife's choice, happy wife, happy life.

Thanks everyone for the advice!
zzed

Post by zzed »

crockers wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:51 pm God I'd hate your insurance cost 😁
It actually wasn't that bad, it costs 2.6k. I was expecting 4k initially.
zzed

Post by zzed »

Does this sound right??
I know it might be a bad idea financially, but I have a small kid, I think Porsche SUVs generally offer a better safety and my wife really like it. I would say it is probably a worst idea to get a 911. :)

Also I am no longer young 30+. And fortunate enough to be able to own the car outright, so, there shouldn't be much of financial risk, but I totally admit that driving by myself isn't a pleasant experience at all, hopefully I will get there soon.
zzed

Post by zzed »

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:13 pm 3,000km is a really long run-in period but I stuck to it and to be honest the Macan S has plenty of torque and you aren’t short of acceleration below 4,000rpm. And luckily the rev counter is front and centre on the dash. I just kept the car in comfort mode throughout my run-in period - it’s easier that way and the car will keep the revs low for you as long as you don’t stamp on the throttle and ignore the rev counter.

Doing some long journeys is very helpful - good for the engine and also gets you to 3,000km sooner. It’s a nice excuse to plan a driving holiday to enjoy your new car. I went to see some friends in Dorset and then took a driving trip to the Lake District after Christmas. It was really enjoyable and the Macan is excellent for that kind of use. As a new driver there is also nothing better for you than getting a few thousand miles under your belt with a mix of motorway and town driving.

There are older threads here where there was good information relayed from a Porsche engine engineer explaining why the run-in guidance is what it is. If you want to look after the engine and keep the car long-term then you should follow the guidance as closely as you can. I definitely felt that the engine on my Macan S became smoother after about 1,400 miles.

Enjoy your Macan. It’s a lovely place to sit, easy to drive, well-suited for every kind of use. It’s a very well-sorted, ergonomic, and user-friendly machine considering the 380bhp under your right foot. And it’s easy to drive it calmly and just enjoy the ride and the comfort.

Your in-car sound system will need 100-200 hours of play too before it sounds as good as it can, so give that a run-in period too, starting with soft volumes and increasing gradually.
Wow, thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it!
zzed

Post by zzed »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:34 pm As an ex Driving Instructor I can tell you that whilst you have passed your driving test you are only just starting to learn to drive.

So do take it easy and assume everyone on the road is an idiot without a driving license and with no insurance.

Ensure that the engine warms up each time, even if it means going from A to B via the long way, you will soon learn that with a Porsche this action is pretty normal.

Keep engine revs below 4000 and avoid long periods of driving at a constant speed.

Enjoy your Macan
Yes, I have only been driven 50 miles on my own and have encountered many idiots, one occasion was that, I got held on a small roundabout by the traffic in front of me and two cars on my left tries to force into the queue, I was like 5 inch close to hit their car. But luckily I have prepared and hit the break, but I really thought the car behind me was gonna hit me, luckily they stopped as well.

I am feeling overwhelmed at the moment, so before any trip, I was studying the route using Google maps hopefully I will delay the first accident as much as possible.
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Welcome - you’ve brought down the average age of forum members considerably. Bear that in mind with some of the comments 🤣
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose