Macan GTS 24 Stolen

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

I really feel for you.. I had my GTS stolen off my drive in January. The scumbags broke into the house while my wife and I were asleep, found the keys to the GTS and my Rav4, used the fob on the Rav to open the electric gates and drove off. The first I knew of it was when I got a phone call from Vodafone to say the tracker had been activated. I immediately called the police and they tracked the car to a residential street in a nearby town where the thieves were parking it up, but unfortunately the little sh*ts spotted the police car and scarpered before they could be caught. They didn't leave any fingerprints or DNA, so there's little chance of a conviction.
In the end I considered myself extremely fortunate to get the car back a week later with no damage whatsoever and with all my personal effects still on board. I would've been absolutely devastated if the car had gone for good.
Over the last few months I've looked at all options for increasing security (bollards, locking devices etc.), but most only increase the likelihood of a confrontation with the thieves, which for obvious reasons should be avoided at all costs. In the end, the best solution I can come up with is a Ghost immobiliser, but even that has its drawbacks, so I'm still undecided.
I hope your insurance pays out quickly and you soon find yourself back to where you were before these lowlifes deprived you of your pride and joy.
Dolomite Silver Macan GTS Gen 2 (www.porsche-code.com/PLBT3XT5)
Rhodium Silver Macan GTS (sold)

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

All these thefts are getting ridiculous.

Surely Porsche have to bear a degree of responsibility for their shoddy security systems that seem to be easily defeated by those in the know.

Key entry or keyless it does not seem to make much of a difference as does fitting a disklock.

The Tracker is minimally effective as those who know where it is located can swiftly defeat it.

I have no idea how a break in and confrontation could be avoided.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:10 pm All these thefts are getting ridiculous.

Surely Porsche have to bear a degree of responsibility for their shoddy security systems that seem to be easily defeated by those in the know.

Key entry or keyless it does not seem to make much of a difference as does fitting a disklock.

The Tracker is minimally effective as those who know where it is located can swiftly defeat it.

I have no idea how a break in and confrontation could be avoided.
I agree, Col, but unfortunately it appears that any vehicle security system can be defeated with the right equipment - all of which is readily available via the internet. :shock: . From keyless entry relay devices to removing wheel arch liners to access the vehicle's CAN bus via the headlamp connectors, it's all out there - with full instructions - making car theft the career of choice for those who don't fancy working for a living. Then there's the YouTube videos showing how to crack just about every after market security device in seconds, too...

The Porsche tracker worked for me because I registered my home phone number as well as my mobile, so I was contactable immediately, but I'm also aware that many people have had issues with missed calls and false alarms etc.

Ultimately, the solution is probably to have a combination of tracker, immobiliser, security bollards, disklock, security cameras, double locked windows and a bloody big dog (although mine proved to be completely useless, sleeping soundly throughout the break-in :roll: ).

Or sell the Porsche and get a 20 year old Toyota Rav4 - they nicked the keys for mine, but left it on the drive and 6 months later they still haven't bothered to come back for it... :D
snipez999

Post by snipez999 »

JohnP wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:16 pm (although mine proved to be completely useless, sleeping soundly throughout the break-in :roll: ).
If only a crisp packet had been touched during the break-in......

One can only seek to satisfy any insurance pre-requisites and hope for the best at the end of the day. We will all say "better not have broken into my house; I'd have clobbered them" but the thought of a few blokes with ski masks and weapons is not a good thought to have :-(
Range Rover Sport SVR
Crayon GTS on order for Sept '24!
Porsche Code - now locked in - PSU3UQ71
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

snipez999 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:08 pm
JohnP wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:16 pm (although mine proved to be completely useless, sleeping soundly throughout the break-in :roll: ).
If only a crisp packet had been touched during the break-in......

One can only seek to satisfy any insurance pre-requisites and hope for the best at the end of the day. We will all say "better not have broken into my house; I'd have clobbered them" but the thought of a few blokes with ski masks and weapons is not a good thought to have :-(
Agreed. As the police said: "you definitely don't want to corner these guys inside your house - they have no intention of getting caught". :(
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

More chance they'll leave some DNA though.....
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

snipez999 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:01 pm Ah, sorry, these are mine. Didn't think I had a galvanised finish so had to go look!

https://rampost.co.uk/products/telescop ... -rrbs14-2/
That's like the one I have. |Much better than the ones that lay flat.
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

JohnP wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:25 pm I really feel for you.. I had my GTS stolen off my drive in January. The scumbags broke into the house while my wife and I were asleep, found the keys to the GTS and my Rav4, used the fob on the Rav to open the electric gates and drove off. The first I knew of it was when I got a phone call from Vodafone to say the tracker had been activated. I immediately called the police and they tracked the car to a residential street in a nearby town where the thieves were parking it up, but unfortunately the little sh*ts spotted the police car and scarpered before they could be caught. They didn't leave any fingerprints or DNA, so there's little chance of a conviction.
In the end I considered myself extremely fortunate to get the car back a week later with no damage whatsoever and with all my personal effects still on board. I would've been absolutely devastated if the car had gone for good.
Over the last few months I've looked at all options for increasing security (bollards, locking devices etc.), but most only increase the likelihood of a confrontation with the thieves, which for obvious reasons should be avoided at all costs. In the end, the best solution I can come up with is a Ghost immobiliser, but even that has its drawbacks, so I'm still undecided.
I hope your insurance pays out quickly and you soon find yourself back to where you were before these lowlifes deprived you of your pride and joy.
If you have security bollards etc, they are more likely to go find an easier target than having to confront you to get the bollard key, or Ghost code. They want to be in and out without disturbing anyone.

Yes, confrontations do happen, but I think now a days, so many people have nice cars that they can afford to pick an easier target. The next street probably has a Macan too. Gone are the days nice cars were few and far between. We're moving later this year, and I'm probably still going to get a couple bollards installed in front of the garage doors. They are my cars. I want to keep them.

As for convictions? More than likely a few more hours of unpaid community work. Hardly going to make them think twice for next time.
crockers

Post by crockers »

Sorry to read your misfortune. I’m considering a Ghost but my insurance doesn’t recognise it as it’s not Thatcham approved. Bollards sound good but will only protect the car on the drive whereas Ghost protects anywhere
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:44 pm More chance they'll leave some DNA though.....
:lol: