4-year Service Experience

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

My S had been nagging me that it was due a service so I decided to book it in at Reading OPC, where I bought the car originally.

On phoning up I was asked whether I wanted a courtesy car or not. Without it, availability would be sooner. I didn’t want the courtesy car so when could they book it in ? I was expecting them to say next month so I was absolutely floored when they said Thursday - today was Tuesday. Paperwork was sent through by email and my wallet was distressed to see the cost coming to over £1800. The car is 4 years old and low mileage so the service involved engine oil change, gearbox oil change and brake fluid change, plus an MOT and included wash. An unexpected item included was a free reprogramming of the instrument cluster, apparently to fix a problem of spurious warnings although I'd not had any. They needed the car for 2 days which was a surprise.

Took the car in on Thursday and there's no longer a conventional service desk. The service agent comes out to meet you in the mini-café or seating area in the showroom. I had to wait a few minutes and wandered around looking at the cars. The showroom has changed dramatically since the last time I was there two years ago. It's much bigger and absolutely crammed with immaculately presented cars. Lots of 911s plus a good number of Taycans and Cayennes. I can only remember seeing one Macan and no Caymans. I found the whole atmosphere highly impressive, almost overwhelming, and it reminded me of going to the NEC motor show with its huge stands full of cars in a massive hall. Truly a toyshop for big boys and girls.

I'd already given the car key to the receptionist. The agent took me to the back of the building where my car was waiting indoors in a dedicated white room approaching the size of a tennis court. He showed me the cameras that automatically photograph the car when it comes in so its condition can be recorded. On one wall was a massive set of screens showing wheel alignment, tyre wear and pressure information. All good, fortunately. He then raised the car on the ramp and we both took a look underneath. Please to see that it's in very good condition underneath. All of this is before the actual service work and is part of the initial assessment. New since my previous visit, I found it very impressive.

Remembering a tip from this forum I said I didn't need the container of top-up oil as I still have the one from the previous service. That saved quite a bit - at least £25.

Before leaving I had to sit in a couple of cars and chose a 911 and a Taycan. Both beautifully appointed in a "technical" way but dark and black everywhere inside. Both ridiculously cramped inside considering the external dimensions and I hated the external door handles which made the doors difficult to open. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I shouldn't need a training course just to open a door.

When I picked the car up on Friday afternoon the whole process was very relaxed and smooth. The car, even though it was a bronze level wash, was very clean inside and out and the paint very shiny. My wheel cleaning skills aren’t great but now the wheels are immaculate and the tyre sides have been given a coat of black. The service book is stamped.

Overall, an excellent experience although you certainly pay for it in the wallet.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I had a similar experience at OPC Swindon last month when the 4yr service for my GTS was carried out in a day. I did take a BMW loan car.

The total bill was £1421, for all that you describe, plus Pano roof drain check and a litre of Mobil engine oil. I forgot say say I didn't need it and only discovered it on the passenger door pocket when I got home. :? :(
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
robbie

Post by robbie »

Now that is what you could call high price inflation, my 4yr low mileage service on my last Macan was only carried out in Dec 2022 at Tewkesbury OPC and they charged me £812, this included £15 to cover the cost of the loan car insurance, so £797 all in, how could this very same service cost £1800 just 18 months later...............ok it was an 'S' in Reading and mine was the 2.0L in Tewkesbury but still a huge increase and I got the 1ltr of Mobil engine oil included!! Crazy world with live in eh....................
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Yes that bill is unfortunately about right for a four year service which is major fluid change all round.

I totally dislike very dark interiors, and that is the only reason we have a Pano, just to lighten the interior.

Years ago I fancied an Audi TT and spent all of three seconds inside one, inside it was far to dark, claustrophobic and oppressive. I did not care how well it handled or accelerated there was no way that I could live with the inside of that car.

The Display Room does seem to be a Porsche customer engagement thing, offers minus 10 to my level of satisfaction, I am just not interested in this aspect of unnecessary interactions.

The Tincan, way to low, way to difficult to get into and even worst to get out of. A 911 is what it is, totally impractical for everyday use other than a means of transport for one person. I do wish they dropped the squashed Beetle design and produced something that is 21st C rather than an evolution of a 1930’s car. There again Porsche Vehicle Design has never been top notch, Mission e > Tincan is a recent case, initially looked great but whittled down to boring.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
GWL

Post by GWL »

SAC1 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:16 pm I had a similar experience at OPC Swindon last month when the 4yr service for my GTS was carried out in a day. I did take a BMW loan car.

The total bill was £1421, for all that you describe, plus Pano roof drain check and a litre of Mobil engine oil. I forgot say say I didn't need it and only discovered it on the passenger door pocket when I got home. :? :(
Same here. Reading is my nearest OPC, but for an extra £20 of petrol I went to Swindon and saved £350.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Mine's booked into Newport OPC on Monday for an oil change. Brand new facility , opened about a month ago, relocated from Cardiff, will be an interesting morning. Confirmation phone call yesterday with instructions - drive into the service tunnel where I will be met by the tech.
Boyo

Post by Boyo »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:28 pm Mine's booked into Newport OPC on Monday for an oil change. Brand new facility , opened about a month ago, relocated from Cardiff, will be an interesting morning. Confirmation phone call yesterday with instructions - drive into the service tunnel where I will be met by the tech.
Could you let us know how you get on at their new premises in Newport. I am a Cardiff customer as well and my Cayman GTS 4.0 is due its first service in November.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

£1800 a lot for a car wash and couple hundred pounds of oils
crockers

Post by crockers »

gasgas1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:52 am £1800 a lot for a car wash and couple hundred pounds of oils
What would an indi charge ?
GWL

Post by GWL »

gasgas1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:52 am £1800 a lot for a car wash and couple hundred pounds of oils
On the flip side, took my Macan to Reading OPC for its MOT. Paid £55 and the car was washed & valeted.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i