Does buying a new Macan make sense now?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Rude responses and drivel aside, the OP was simply asking if folks think the tech on a Macan is dated.
Just because some individuals don’t want or need additional tech is beside the point as many will - the answer is a resounding YES, the tech is dated on a Macan. It’s using a PCM that’s two generations old, dials from 10 years ago and it’s not possible to get the latest driver and convenience aids.
None of this should be confused with how good a Macan still is dynamically as it is right up there with the leaders, perhaps not the absolute best in any department but put together, a very compelling car.
It can still be this and have crap tech… 😊
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

andreas

Post by andreas »

wab172uk wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:43 am
Why do you need the car to keep you in your lane?

If you seriously can’t steer between the White lines, hand in your driving licence before you kill someone.

Systems like these are contributing to poor driving standards. Drivers not concentrating on driving, too distracted, and expecting the car to do things like steer and brake for them. Are we really that lazy as a society? Sadly, more and more, yes.
I tend to agree with your sentiments, but unfortunately the whole thing is out of our hands, thanks to more mindless EU regulations, no doubt dreamed up by faceless bureaucrats who most probably don't drive themselves. From July 2022, all newly-introduced car/van models had to have an "emergency lane keeping system", and from July 2024 all existing models have to have it as well. The system has to be active whenever the car is started; it can be deactivated by the driver, but the regulations state that doing this must involve 2 deliberate actions.

The UK hasn't fully accepted this regulation, but car makers need to follow it. This is why the Macan ICE won't be available in European countries from July this year, although it can still be sold in the UK.

This is bureaucracy gone mad. In a very few years' time, cars will be so hampered by automatic control systems that there'll be no fun in driving.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

This forum gets so uppity over some of the most stupid things I swear hahaha
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
IPKnightly2

Post by IPKnightly2 »

wab172uk wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:43 am
Marc5555 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:11 pm Thanks for all the opinions. It seems some do relate with my thoughts.

By tech, I mean things like:
- the ability for the car to steer itself in a lane on the motorway while under cruise control (within reason whilst holding the wheel)
Why do you need the car to keep you in your lane?

If you seriously can’t steer between the White lines, hand in your driving licence before you kill someone.

Systems like these are contributing to poor driving standards. Drivers not concentrating on driving, too distracted, and expecting the car to do things like steer and brake for them. Are we really that lazy as a society? Sadly, more and more, yes.
+1
2023 Macan S
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

Oh dear - how dare one say anything remotely negative about a Macan!
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Apart from how quickly it depreciates 😁
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

I do feel modern technology has led to poor driving standards. AEB (emergency braking) resulting in people driving too close. Reversing cameras resulting in people looking only at their screen and no long get being fully aware of their surroundings. Variable cruise control and lane assist resulting in 'lazy' motorway driving. Automatic lights, wipers and so on resulting in people not being aware of what's on/off. Stability programmes and better handling resulting in people driving around like lunatics.

I'm not suggesting these things aren't useful; of course they are. However, the more safety features, the more driving standards are likely to decrease. Give the average driver a car made 30-odd years ago and they'd likely crash it fairly quickly.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
IPKnightly2

Post by IPKnightly2 »

I bet everybody on this forum claims to be a good road driver… University of life and all that crap…
However how many have actually done any Roadcraft IPSGA based training recently ie IAM /RoSPa etc etc both organisations set very low standards for their basic test but only have a 75% pass rate after doing their courses and more interesting the pass rate is c20% for those who skip the course and just sign up for the test!
To get the most out of any ‘performance’ car I would recommend the RoSPa Gold or better still the IAM Masters or the HPC Course (although it’s the same as the Masters but costs a lot more)
2023 Macan S
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Absolutely agree on the benefits of an advanced driving course. I did mine in a Lotus Elise! Apparently nearly 80% of drivers think driving standards have got worse over the last five years; however a similar percentage state their driving has got better or stayed the same. So there's the problem - bad drivers think they're good drivers. You see that in YouTube 'bad driver' videos where half the time it's the cammer or person who think's they're right that's causing the issues. A good driver will make 99% of potential issues a non-event.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
IPKnightly2

Post by IPKnightly2 »

PaulR wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:14 am Absolutely agree on the benefits of an advanced driving course. I did mine in a Lotus Elise! Apparently nearly 80% of drivers think driving standards have got worse over the last five years; however a similar percentage state their driving has got better or stayed the same. So there's the problem - bad drivers think they're good drivers. You see that in YouTube 'bad driver' videos where half the time it's the cammer or person who think's they're right that's causing the issues. A good driver will make 99% of potential issues a non-event.
+1
2023 Macan S