Does buying a new Macan make sense now?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Marc5555

Post by Marc5555 »

Yeah, the Macan doesn't have the Active Lane Keeping feature, only Lane Keeping Assist.
I'm pretty sure the Macan is the car for me, but I still have this thought at the back of my head that it's not as modern in tech as other Porsche cars or competitors' cars.
Macan GTS on order for June 2024 delivery

shambolic

Post by shambolic »

The MB GLC is riddled with more tech and a lot cheaper. We still bought the Macan.
I didn’t like the active assist and speed warning etc on the Cayenne I had the other week. Neither did Porsche as the button on the wheel turned them all off (was a demo car and obviously set by staff who were fed up with it). You had to do it every time you got in car as it turned on every time. The annoying beeps and the steering jerking left and right on narrow Scottish B roads was intrusive.
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Marc5555 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:11 pm Thanks for all the opinions. It seems some do relate with my thoughts.

By tech, I mean things like:
- the ability for the car to steer itself in a lane on the motorway while under cruise control (within reason whilst holding the wheel)
Why do you need the car to keep you in your lane?

If you seriously can’t steer between the White lines, hand in your driving licence before you kill someone.

Systems like these are contributing to poor driving standards. Drivers not concentrating on driving, too distracted, and expecting the car to do things like steer and brake for them. Are we really that lazy as a society? Sadly, more and more, yes.
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

FWIW, I bought my Macan S late last year so for me it did make sense. None of the tech you mention would have been things I would spec on the car. I do consider 360 degree top-down camera view a key option but the version that is on my Macan is more than adequate, and it’s easy to access with the programmable button on the steering wheel.

Overall I felt the Macan was the best car for me and I have no particular affinity to the Porsche badge - the interior quality, comfort and driving ergonomics are a step above BMW, Audi and Mercedes, in my opinion, and the better performance was a nice bonus. I didn’t want a larger, heavier car like the Cayenne or BMW X5, and I find the Macan is not too wide and it’s very nice to drive on the narrow country roads where I live.

I like the styling of the cabin and that there are not too many screens or menus. I like that it has everything I would use, and no unnecessary clutter or intrusive driver aids. I like that the Macan feels smaller than it is (always a sign of good ergonomics) and it has plenty of space for my needs. The semi-analogue feel of the cabin was actually one of the things that I liked about the Macan - things like the analogue clock on the dashboard make it look well-sorted without being old fashioned. BMW interiors are the closest in quality - I like them too - but Mercedes and Audi interiors look clunky and dated to me now.

Specced to a similar level, with roughly comparable engines, I don’t think there is much of a price difference between a Macan S, the Merc GLC, Audi Q5, BMW X3, Merc E-Class, BMW 5-Series, so for me the Macan S was just a nicer quality car for the money. I’d much rather the manufacturer spends money on suspension, transmission, and interior refinement than on electronic jazz. There is a section of the market where gadgetry sells cars, but at this level I think it’s the quality of the car and the driving experience that matter, and there was nothing else that matched the Macan for me.

In terms of timing, my thinking was that it’s a good time to buy this sort of car and keep it for a long time while the industry sorts itself out over what comes next - BEV or whatever. In 8-10 years we will probably have a good idea where things are heading, but I don’t want to adopt immature or rapidly obsolete technology.
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:55 pm
Plyphon wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:51 pm The only thing I wish it had was a higher res and more modern surround view parking system.

For the newer 3D visualisation systems are very good. I'd like a better night vision view also.
But how would it make your parking any better? Ever since I've relyed on automated systems my parking's got worse!

Well the night one is self explanatory.

But the 3D systems really are great - crystal clear vision of obstacles around the car, and you can position the camera to see the exact angle you'd like. AND they have better image processing so that the cameras stitch together perfectly and nothing distorts. BMW also do fancy stuff where it'll remember your driving commands into a space and make the car do them in reverse to get you out of a space and things - I can't see that being useful day to day, but certainly circumstantial.

The newer surround systems really are fantastic and highlights how some of the Macan tech is last gen.

That said, I agree that you don't buy a Porsche for it's tech.

You can see LR's latest 3D camera system here:

Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

wab172uk wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:43 am
Marc5555 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:11 pm Thanks for all the opinions. It seems some do relate with my thoughts.

- the ability for the car to steer itself in a lane on the motorway while under cruise control (within reason whilst holding the wheel)

If you seriously can’t steer between the White lines, hand in your driving licence before you kill someone.
I find these type of comments disrespectful and not in line with what several posters call ‘our friendly forum’.

I don’t like or want some of these gadgets on my car but my wife likes them and so we have lane keep assist on the Macan. It’s a personal choice and doesn’t mean someone can’t drive. I’d wager my wife is a more competent and spirited driver than many of the posters on this forum.

At least you didn’t tell the original poster to spend the option money on some advanced driving lessons 🙄
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Moriarty wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:06 am FWIW, I bought my Macan S late last year so for me it did make sense. None of the tech you mention would have been things I would spec on the car. I do consider 360 degree top-down camera view a key option but the version that is on my Macan is more than adequate, and it’s easy to access with the programmable button on the steering wheel.

Overall I felt the Macan was the best car for me and I have no particular affinity to the Porsche badge - the interior quality, comfort and driving ergonomics are a step above BMW, Audi and Mercedes, in my opinion, and the better performance was a nice bonus. I didn’t want a larger, heavier car like the Cayenne or BMW X5, and I find the Macan is not too wide and it’s very nice to drive on the narrow country roads where I live.

I like the styling of the cabin and that there are not too many screens or menus. I like that it has everything I would use, and no unnecessary clutter or intrusive driver aids. I like that the Macan feels smaller than it is (always a sign of good ergonomics) and it has plenty of space for my needs. The semi-analogue feel of the cabin was actually one of the things that I liked about the Macan - things like the analogue clock on the dashboard make it look well-sorted without being old fashioned. BMW interiors are the closest in quality - I like them too - but Mercedes and Audi interiors look clunky and dated to me now.

Specced to a similar level, with roughly comparable engines, I don’t think there is much of a price difference between a Macan S, the Merc GLC, Audi Q5, BMW X3, Merc E-Class, BMW 5-Series, so for me the Macan S was just a nicer quality car for the money. I’d much rather the manufacturer spends money on suspension, transmission, and interior refinement than on electronic jazz. There is a section of the market where gadgetry sells cars, but at this level I think it’s the quality of the car and the driving experience that matter, and there was nothing else that matched the Macan for me.

In terms of timing, my thinking was that it’s a good time to buy this sort of car and keep it for a long time while the industry sorts itself out over what comes next - BEV or whatever. In 8-10 years we will probably have a good idea where things are heading, but I don’t want to adopt immature or rapidly obsolete technology.
Very well put, the last two paragraphs in particular echo my own thoughts.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Systems like these are contributing to poor driving standards. Drivers not concentrating on driving, too distracted, and expecting the car to do things like steer and brake for them. Are we really that lazy as a society? Sadly, more and more, yes.
100%

If ones driving is so piss poor and you or a family member has trouble keeping in lanes then the cash would be better spent on driving lessons.

They may save the lives of all inside the car.

Some numpty in their car could very well have trouble keeping in lane themself and a half attentive driver relying on Lane Keep Assist is not likely to notice the erratic driving of others.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:59 pm ....If ones driving is so piss poor and you or a family member has trouble keeping in lanes then the cash would be better spent on driving lessons....
Which could open a huge can of worms as you could apply similar logic to traction control, ABS, 360 Cameras, even automatic gearboxes, No?
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:59 pm

100%

If ones driving is so piss poor and you or a family member has trouble keeping in lanes then the cash would be better spent on driving lessons.

They may save the lives of all inside the car.

Some numpty in their car could very well have trouble keeping in lane themself and a half attentive driver relying on Lane Keep Assist is not likely to notice the erratic driving of others.
Jeez - you guys have no idea how good a driver the poster is or his real reasons for liking some aspect of autonomous driving.

Would you use the same words to his face?

If no, then maybe don’t type them into your keyboard.

I think, like me, you’re both retired, I thought our generation had better manners.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo