Does buying a new Macan make sense now?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Marc5555

Post by Marc5555 »

Thanks for all the opinions. It seems some do relate with my thoughts.

By tech, I mean things like:
- the ability for the car to steer itself in a lane on the motorway while under cruise control (within reason whilst holding the wheel)
- a quality surround view/3D view as in other Porsche cars
- larger digital dash screen - the speedometer seems useless and led digital speedometer feels retro

With other Porsche cars having these more modern features available and the new shape Macan about to hit our streets, that’s why I’m questioning whether buying a new Macan is really the best way to go.
Thinking about it, the above aren’t really that important, but just the feeling of buying a new ‘older’ car that’s about to be replaced.

I am looking for a step up in driving comfort and drivability from other manufacturers, and I really do think the Macan is a great option. Just wish could get the new Macan 4 with an engine!
Macan GTS on order for June 2024 delivery

PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Marc5555 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:25 pm Hey all, hoping for some advice as I seek a new car to replace my Audi TTS which I've had for the past 7 years. Originally was looking at an Audi RS Q3 or perhaps the SQ8 or RSQ8 (all sportback), but feeling a change of manufacturer and considering the Macan S or Macan GTS.

However with the new EV Macan out (sadly not suitable as nowhere to charge), and the interior feeling a bit 'in the past' compared to the Audi or the new Cayenne, I'm unsure.

Have always liked the look of the Macan, especially in Crayon - even though I vowed to never get a white/grey/black car. The things that are drawing me to the Macan is the possibility of a comfier and quieter cabin (Air Suspension + Acoustic Glass) when driving normally yet still the thrill/speed when desired.

6 month old ex-demo cars with 6k-ish miles are practically the same price as buying new, so likely going down the route of a new one.
I test drove a Macan GTS and it felt a great place to be, but couldn't help but feel it's lacking in tech compared to my 7 year old Audi, let alone the newest ones available. The manual speedometer I felt was useless with 25mph, 50mph and 75mph markers. So you end up looking at the small alarm clock-esq speed reading at the bottom of the middle dial. The surround view camera was pretty low quality too but not important.

The salesperson suggested I looked at the Cayenne as the interior has just been revamped and I definitely got more of a wow-factor sitting in that in the showroom. My gut says the Macan is a better size for us compared to the Cayenne. If the new Macan 4 came with an ICE then I'd have ordered it there and then.

I'm torn. Ordering a new Macan S/GTS and then in a few months time seeing the Macan 4 EVs on the road I think could make the car seem old.
Has anyone here considered the refreshed Cayenne over the Macan for the interior tech advances?
We had a 2016 TTS coupe from new until last August when it was replaced with a Boxster. Pretty much every option box ticked on the TTS except auto. Although the TTS was primarily my wife’s car I drove it a lot.

We have now had our Macan GTS for 5 months so I can do some pretty good comparisons.

Our TTS ran on 19 inch wheels and we drove it in comfort suspension setting 99% of the time, but our GTS on 21 inch wheels and air is a much more comfortable ride and IMO, in comfort suspension mode, still handles better than the TTS. If you are prioritising a comfortable ride, an S on 20 inch wheels will be another meaningful improvement.

I use CarPlay most of the time and so I find the tech in the Macan acceptable on a day to day basis. I was never a particular fan of Audi tech though.

As others have said, the Macan excels in its driving dynamics and for me this is the key reason we chose one. I only briefly considered a Cayenne but I didn’t really want a car of that size, so for me the Macan was an easy choice.

If you are prioritising comfort and tech and you are not worried about the extra size, then the Cayenne might be a good shout. But if you are unsure about its size and want something that’s a really engaging drive, a Macan GTS is really hard to beat.

Good luck in your deliberations.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Marc5555 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:11 pm Thinking about it, the above aren’t really that important, but just the feeling of buying a new ‘older’ car that’s about to be replaced.

I am looking for a step up in driving comfort and drivability from other manufacturers, and I really do think the Macan is a great option. Just wish could get the new Macan 4 with an engine!
Crystal ball gazing I know, but buying a new Macan GTS at the end of last year felt like a reasonable bet to me.

On your last point, if they offered the Taycan with the Macan GTS engine, I’d be all over it like a rash.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
Marc5555

Post by Marc5555 »

PJV997 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:34 pm We had a 2016 TTS coupe from new until last August when it was replaced with a Boxster. Pretty much every option box ticked on the TTS except auto. Although the TTS was primarily my wife’s car I drove it a lot.

We have now had our Macan GTS for 5 months so I can do some pretty good comparisons.

Our TTS ran on 19 inch wheels and we drove it in comfort suspension setting 99% of the time, but our GTS on 21 inch wheels and air is a much more comfortable ride and IMO, in comfort suspension mode, still handles better than the TTS. If you are prioritising a comfortable ride, an S on 20 inch wheels will be another meaningful improvement.

I use CarPlay most of the time and so I find the tech in the Macan acceptable on a day to day basis. I was never a particular fan of Audi tech though.

As others have said, the Macan excels in its driving dynamics and for me this is the key reason we chose one. I only briefly considered a Cayenne but I didn’t really want a car of that size, so for me the Macan was an easy choice.

If you are prioritising comfort and tech and you are not worried about the extra size, then the Cayenne might be a good shout. But if you are unsure about its size and want something that’s a really engaging drive, a Macan GTS is really hard to beat.

Good luck in your deliberations.
Thank you very much - just the kind of insight I was looking for!
Was likely looking at an S with Air Suspension, or a GTS and swapping out for the standard Air Suspension anyway.
adam b

Post by adam b »

Marc5555 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:11 pm Thanks for all the opinions. It seems some do relate with my thoughts.

By tech, I mean things like:
- the ability for the car to steer itself in a lane on the motorway while under cruise control (within reason whilst holding the wheel)
Mine had that, “lane assist”

Rarely used it as you had to keep hand on the wheel or it would warn you after 10 seconds or so
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
Marc5555

Post by Marc5555 »

adam b wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:44 pm Mine had that, “lane assist”

Rarely used it as you had to keep hand on the wheel or it would warn you after 10 seconds or so
It makes motorway driving far more relaxing for me, as can feel the wheel turning itself to keep within the lane, with you making minor adjustments.
I know the Taycan and new Cayenne have this feature, but don't think this ICE Macan does.
Yorkshire Mac

Post by Yorkshire Mac »

Marc5555 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:00 am

It makes motorway driving far more relaxing for me, as can feel the wheel turning itself to keep within the lane, with you making minor adjustments.
I know the Taycan and new Cayenne have this feature, but don't think this ICE Macan does.
You can spec this - Lane Keeping Assist. It’s in the Technology section on the configurator. Bear in mind it only works up to about 150mph so if you get a GTS you’ll have to take it easy. 🤣🤣
Arriving in June, all being well. Slightly tweaked to now include Bose - https://configurator.porsche.com/en-GB/ ... m=PS4LXHU0
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

I didn't realise it had a manual speedo!

Who would look at that when there's a large digital one right in front of you? Did you not see it OP?
crockers

Post by crockers »

Yorkshire Mac wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:07 am

You can spec this - Lane Keeping Assist. It’s in the Technology section on the configurator. Bear in mind it only works up to about 150mph so if you get a GTS you’ll have to take it easy. 🤣🤣
I had it on my T. What a waste of money. Thought it would be like Volvos pilot assist. Not a chance.
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

We had lane assist on the TTS and whilst I am not a fan, my wife liked it so we specced on the Macan GTS.

The Macan system is similar to the TTS, it will steer you around a motorway bend for a short period of time. However, I don’t think the Macan system is calibrated as well as the TTS system (I don’t know if it can be changed in the Macan settings menu). The Macan system doesn’t seem as smooth in its inputs and makes corrections when you are about to broach the lane markers whereas the TTS system seemed to keep you more central in the lane and make steering corrections more smoothly. If you remove your hand from the wheel, both systems will continue to steer the car for 20 or 30 seconds before the alarms start to ring.

Our Macan does have ACC rather than simple cruise control and I quite like that feature, more so for when in slow moving or roadworks traffic on the motorway rather than normal motorway cruising.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo