ICE extended warranty revision

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

DJMCUK wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:42 pm In five months since purchase our Macan has needed...

New battery - £600
New lighting ECU - £1,800
New rear window - £1,200
New rear USB socket - £190
New rear washer pressure relief valve - £1,400
Repair to driver's door mechanism - £340

All covered under warranty. All with home collection/delivery and Macan loan car full of fuel.

I think we'll be renewing come June 2026, hence being rather risk averse when it comes to Macans.
Wow you have been unlucky, sounds like you have bought a Lemon. By June 2026 I would be looking to out it rather than extend the warranty! Its only a matter of time before that car needs something that won't be covered by warranty.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

DJMCUK wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:42 pm In five months since purchase our Macan has needed...

New battery - £600
New rear window - £1,200

All covered under warranty. All with home collection/delivery and Macan loan car full of fuel.

I think we'll be renewing come June 2026, hence being rather risk averse when it comes to Macans.
And that is precisely why IMO Porsche Engineering leave a lot to be desired.

I have always had doubts about the longevity of the design and materials of aspects of their products. Rubbish transfer box design to name but one, the specification of simple fasteners ie the bolts that shear off, point two, rubbish design of Pano Roof drains, point three, lowest tenderer supply of parts, A/C misting, point four, condensation inside headlights, point five, rear screen washer leaks, point six and enough, you should get my point.

Porsche’s are not the best Engineered cars.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

HertsMacan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:23 am

New battery - £600
New rear window - £1,200

Wow you have been unlucky, sounds like you have bought a Lemon. By June 2026 I would be looking to out it rather than extend the warranty! Its only a matter of time before that car needs something that won't be covered by warranty.
I can understand how the 111 point check wouldn't have found any of these issues. The OPC bought the car in, did their checks, but it's not until it was driven in real life that the ongoing faults showed themselves.

In some respects it's good. At four years old we got a new battery when we may have needed one soon anyhow but that was only fitted due to the HRW not working and the OPC starting with the battery, as they said the HRW would not power on if the battery was low on power.
Constant drain on the battery was then traced to the lighting ECU so that was replaced.
Then the HRW was finally diagnosed as faulty and replaced.
USB socket was physically damaged, presumably by the previous owner (centre 'tongue' missing).
Driver's door rattle was foam sleeve which had slipped down the cable allowing it to reverb against the door skin.
Frozen rear washer a general issue on any Macan.
We also had seven free tanks of fuel, and two £300 goodwill gestures from PGB.

So on the one hand, a lemon, but who's to say any other Macan couldn't suffer ECU or HRW failure? We've had ours, so we're now safe?

Overall, the way the DP and PGB have handled things, under warranty and over and above that, has gone against most of what we read here.
Of course you mostly hear only bad news about any product or service on the web.
I would hope that in by June 2026 we'll have more of a handle on the car's foibles and can make a decision.

Mt wife's previous BMW had several warranty claims, one cost over £10,000 to repair, another, at 99.600 miles was £2,900, so we do know the value of extended warranty.

Once bitten...
Last edited by DJMCUK on Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:40 am

New battery - £600
New rear window - £1,200

And that is precisely why IMO Porsche Engineering leave a lot to be desired.

I have always had doubts about the longevity of the design and materials of aspects of their products. Rubbish transfer box design to name but one, the specification of simple fasteners ie the bolts that shear off, point two, rubbish design of Pano Roof drains, point three, lowest tenderer supply of parts, A/C misting, point four, condensation inside headlights, point five, rear screen washer leaks, point six and enough, you should get my point.

Porsche’s are not the best Engineered cars.
I agree. But then who makes a well engineered car? I think they're all so complex it's getting trickier for anyone to make them reliable.

Bring back sanding your points? Or at least finding what looks like an engine under the bonnet!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Generally people only talk about problems they've had with their cars.

Our previous two cars (SD and a Leon 2.0i FR) were pretty well faultless and had no warranty issues at all.

The 2018 Leon was 5yrs old when we sold it, still looked and drove like new. Costs - 1 x set of front and rear wiper blades, 4 x services and 6 x tyres. Depreciation was just £6k / £1.2k p.a. when sold last Oct. Stunning! Bought via Carwow and sold to Cazoo.

Macan SD - costs after 3 yrs 3 months use - one rear wiper blade early on as OE one squeaked. One service @ 2yrs. One set of tyres @ 3yrs to facilitate no knock back in the p/ex price. Residual value of 64% in 2020. It lost £20k over 3yrs / £6,667 p.a. Bought and sold via same OPC.

Macan GTS - costs to date after 3yrs 9 months - one rear wiper blade early on. One service @ 2yrs.

As I could not think of a better car for purpose to replace it, I took out an extended 2yr warranty and roadside assistance, but have had no warranty claims since new and to date. My plan is to change it when it's approaching 5yrs old.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
andreas

Post by andreas »

DJMCUK wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:08 pm
I agree. But then who makes a well engineered car? I think they're all so complex it's getting trickier for anyone to make them reliable.
Toyota? Hyundai? Kia? Or, controversially, Tesla?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

I would certainly be looking to move a car on once its either 80-90K miles or 8 years old. After this is when you are going to start to get issues and you've had the best out of the car. Sooner try to avoid the issues altogether than have a warranty to "hopefully" indemnify me against the costs.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

HertsMacan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:48 pm I would certainly be looking to move a car on once its either 80-90K miles or 8 years old. After this is when you are going to start to get issues and you've had the best out of the car. Sooner try to avoid the issues altogether than have a warranty to "hopefully" indemnify me against the costs.
You're fine with an EV then? That's what will be available to move into and I currently am totally against them.

One range increases to 1,000 miles, maybe, but prices need to dip too.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

andreas wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:37 pm
DJMCUK wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:08 pm
Toyota? Hyundai? Kia? Or, controversially, Tesla?
Nothing appealing from that lot.
andreas

Post by andreas »

DJMCUK wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:15 pm

Nothing appealing from that lot.
Perhaps not appealing to many of us, but undoubtedly well engineered and reliable.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)