ICE extended warranty revision

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I took a 3 year extended warranty out with Porsche, just under 3 years ago. And TBH, it’s a break even, or a little up front in my favour.
I will probably do the same again, when it ends.
These cars can be very costly, with a few miles under their belt.

HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

DJMCUK wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:11 pm
HertsMacan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:48 pm I would certainly be looking to move a car on once its either 80-90K miles or 8 years old. After this is when you are going to start to get issues and you've had the best out of the car. Sooner try to avoid the issues altogether than have a warranty to "hopefully" indemnify me against the costs.
You're fine with an EV then? That's what will be available to move into and I currently am totally against them.

One range increases to 1,000 miles, maybe, but prices need to dip too.
??? ICE cars will probably be available until at least 2035 and I won't have to worry about changing my last 8 year old ICE car for pushing 20 years! I will see where I am then, God willing, in terms of being fine with EV or not. What I definitely won't be doing in 20 years time is continuing to own, let alone putting an extended warranty on, my 8 year old car which has done 80K+ miles. This is, of course, my personal thinking and attitude towards car ownership and why I made the comment above. Each to their own.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

If I succeed in my aim of running my current 911 until I can no longer get into or out of it, I hope to achieve relatively low annualised cost of ownership, including depreciation. Logic says that keeping one car long term generally has to be cheaper than chopping them in every few years and suffering depreciation again & again on successive cars?! 🤔
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
andreas

Post by andreas »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:09 pm Logic says that keeping one car long term generally has to be cheaper than chopping them in every few years and suffering depreciation again & again on successive cars?! 🤔
Absolutely right! The biggest percentage depreciation is always in the first couple of years. If you have a car which ticks all the boxes and is reliable, keeping it longterm makes financial sense. My Macan's over 6 years old and still does everything I want it to, so I'm planning to keep it for another 6 years at least. I'd expect my car to be losing only £2-3K a year in value now.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Scoobyd

Post by Scoobyd »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:09 pm If I succeed in my aim of running my current 911 until I can no longer get into or out of it, I hope to achieve relatively low annualised cost of ownership, including depreciation. Logic says that keeping one car long term generally has to be cheaper than chopping them in every few years and suffering depreciation again & again on successive cars?! 🤔
It's correct logic too. I bought the BMW in my sig when it was 2.5 years old and will have owned it for 18 years this summer. Been one of the best costs of ownership I've had of any car. Picked up my Macan last August with a 3 year warranty and plan to keep that long term too. Despite it not being 'cheap' for its age, it will have done most of its depreciation now and is a great example with a great spec. Whilst running costs are high if I keep it for several years it should be a pretty good purchase as cars of that quality go. Extending the warranty is far cheaper than chopping it in for something newer. Plus better the devil you know often rings true.
Porsche Macan GTS Gen 1
2003 E46 BMW 330ci Sport Convertible