New Member / potential purchase

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SportsExhaust

Post by SportsExhaust »

Hi All, new to the forum so please forgive me :D

Essentially, I've grown sick of my company supplied EV and have opted (at significant cost) to terminate my contract early, with my car collected soon.

Fortunately I have access to another car, but I don't wish to use it for an extended period as I bought it for my daughter lol

I don't have to rush a purchase and there are other factors at play, mainly the sale of my weekend toy to sort a bit of a deposit.

I've never had a Porsche, always wanted one and now might be the time.

I could get a Taycan / Cayenne / Panamera through work, but the lease deals, even through work, are expensive.

Went to my local OPC to look at Macans and was really impressed, especially with how the interior has held up on their high mileage 2018 turbo.

I understand they are generally very reliable (cough transfer case cough), but how risky would a 94000 mile turbo be, given it would be under Porsche warranty for 2-3 years?

I'm only looking at dealer supplied cars, ideally turbo and upto £50k tops.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

To keep in extended warranty, as you must (complex cars with known issues) cars can go to only 125k or 15yrs.

Go for an approved used 20k-ish miles 2019 S for facelift and tech (wide screen) improvements. Otherwise known as "Gen II."

If you keep that 94k turbo 2-3 years it'll drop like a stone.

Try an S, or up your budget to a GTS.

Forget that turbo.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Welcome! I would worry more about low mileage, rather than high mileage. With a Porsche warranty, you'll have some reassurance against failure (although not against wear-and-tear items). Agree that you might be happier looking for a slightly newer S.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
SportsExhaust

Post by SportsExhaust »

Thanks for the replies.

Depreciation on the high mileage one is my major concern. I'd essentially have to run it until its no longer economical to repair.

For me, I like to keep a car 3 or 4 years tops. I do 15k a year of motorway miles.

I would ideally like a 19+ facelift for the nicer media unit etc, however I don't wish to sacrifice too much performance.

I know I'm not going to get EV level acceleration, mine is beyond rapid, Taycan 4s levels of performance... but I'd ideally like to get as much bang for my buck as possible.

My budget will be fairly strict especially given Porsche finance rates!

I've got one eye on panameras aswell, partly because of the enhanced interior of the facelift (not the latest).
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Personally 5 sec 0-60 in an S is fast enough for an SUV. It is quite nimble but it's more of a luxury cruiser than a sports car.

Guess you need 4 seats/doors and boot?
SportsExhaust

Post by SportsExhaust »

DJMCUK wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:27 pm Personally 5 sec 0-60 in an S is fast enough for an SUV. It is quite nimble but it's more of a luxury cruiser than a sports car.

Guess you need 4 seats/doors and boot?
Yeah, unfortunately 2 seats won't cut it. There's a nice 2023 911 GTS parked next door, my daughter can't take her eyes off it :lol:

I don't need an suv, but it does make sense for me as I've got a German shepherd and she loves car journeys.

I want something that's comfy on the 134 M1 miles to work, but that I can chuck around on the b roads when the weather's nice.

The cayenne e hybrid through work is possibly doable, but I just don't need the size and I imagine I wouldn't see it for 18 months or more.

I think that one of top priorities has to be to be under warranty cover for my entire ownership.

Thanks again :)
SportsExhaust

Post by SportsExhaust »

I think whatever I do, I'm going to be stung by depreciation.

I'll lose £20k or more over 4 years on a £50k car I've no doubt.

I'd probably lose the same on that high mileage turbo.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

You'll lose more on any other brand.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
SportsExhaust

Post by SportsExhaust »

Neil1911 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:18 am You'll lose more on any other brand.
Porsche residuals do seem to be higher.

I plan to HP rather than PCP but that could change ultimately depending on total interest charges etc
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I posted a config on your other post based on a new GTS.

For a Mway cruiser any Macan will do even a bog standard Base but that will not be as rewarding to drive as a 6 pot.

A slightly used S would fit the bill.

In any Macan if it includes PASM, 14 or 18 way seats, PS+ and Surround Cam then those IMO are the basics to want included.

For Mway driving ACC would give variable cruise control, I use mine almost all the time, but not in very heavy traffic where it is active but not initiated since this gives the auto braking safety feature and will react to some numpty cutting in faster than I.

Honestly for a daily Mway cruiser of the miles you quote I would not get a Macan, I would go for something bigger and even more comfortable.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags