Driving in snow

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
pmg

Post by pmg »

MikeM wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:00 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:37 pm Many years ago I was walking home from work on a day we’d had a heavy fall of snow. We lived at the top of a hill. At the bottom of the hill were lots of abandoned cars that had failed to make any progress up the hill. As I walked I noticed a single pair of tyre tracks going up the road and wondered what car had managed this. I carried on up the long steep hill and was gobsmacked to see the tracks turn into our drive and disappear into the garage! I couldn’t believe my wife had done this but she said “the car just did it”. It was a Saab 96.
Designed and mostly built in Sweden. They know all about driving in snow ❄️
In the 1st year after passing my test I did a sideways 4 wheel drift in snow round a bend on Compton Way Bolton dual carriage way in my father's SAAB 96, i combination of the free wheel they had and very narrow tyres 155 by 15 from memory
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

pmg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:23 am
MikeM wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:00 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:37 pm Many years ago I was walking home from work on a day we’d had a heavy fall of snow. We lived at the top of a hill. At the bottom of the hill were lots of abandoned cars that had failed to make any progress up the hill. As I walked I noticed a single pair of tyre tracks going up the road and wondered what car had managed this. I carried on up the long steep hill and was gobsmacked to see the tracks turn into our drive and disappear into the garage! I couldn’t believe my wife had done this but she said “the car just did it”. It was a Saab 96.
Designed and mostly built in Sweden. They know all about driving in snow ❄️
In the 1st year after passing my test I did a sideways 4 wheel drift in snow round a bend on Compton Way Bolton dual carriage way in my father's SAAB 96, i combination of the free wheel they had and very narrow tyres 155 by 15 from memory
Yes, and I did an inadvertent sideways drift on packed snow in this 96 too. It was pretty much only the car’s design that saved me from crashing into parked cars at a scary 15mph!
And yes, large diameter narrow tyres had a lot to do with it but also the fact that the engine was mounted forward of the front driven wheels. The car did a peculiar jumping motion when scrabbling for grip under power and I think somehow this was designed in to enhance traction in snow.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA