How easy is it to kerb standard gen 3 S wheels

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

If your parking is terrible, they're very easy to kerb.

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I find 20" wheels are "not too bad" for kerbing.

I have managed to avoid all kerbs so far but I am quite careful.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:09 pm
Jon A wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:02 pm Almost impossible question to answer but I’ll give it a go and say “7”
Hope this helps 👍
How come not 42 Jon? Do we need THHGTTG to adjudicate?
Good point, I’ll reach out to him.. oh wait, he’s gone… 😳
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
New User

Post by New User »

Easy enough to justify Surround View as an option compared to the aggro and hassle of refurb with Diamond Polished finish & clearcoat. For a painted finish like Black or Satin Platinum I might be tempted to take my chances with Reverse Camera only and go the refurb route if it happened.
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:58 am
trialframe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:18 am The wheels in the pic- which I think are the standard 20" on the Macan gen 3 S wheels - how easy is it to kerb these.
I previously had 19" wheels on my SD and because the tyre side walls were considerably fatter than the rims, it was difficult to kerb the rims
Not easy, the alloy is set in and protected by the rubber (on P Zeroes at least) a tyre will rub along a kerb without marking the alloy. I had 18" wheels previously, which managed one gouge in 39k miles, and this 20" set have not realised my worst fears, although I have steered clear of dry riverbeds with them, call me a wimp!
WA, it CAN'T "depend on the design" the question was clearly "STANDARD gen 3 S wheels" :shock:
I haven't got standard Gen 3S wheels, so can only go by my own experience...I appreciate that's not quite in the spirit of online forums but...
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
Wolands Advocate

Madelvic wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:53 am
Wolands Advocate wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:49 am Depends on the design.

But I have the GT Design ones on my GTS, and I'd say very. Indeed I slightly kerbed one of the rear ones within a couple of days of getting the car, going through that work of the devil known as our local width restrictor. I hadn't quite appreciated that despite being the same length as my old car, the Macan is a fair chunk wider, and I just caught the rear wheel on the rather vicious kerb as I exited the width restrictor.

It's only a slight scuff to the outer rim, but it shows up bright silver against the satin platinum finish and is on the driver's side of the car.

Does anyone know how to quickly activate the surround view camera if it doesn't self-start - is there a quick press button anywhere?
I have the diamond button set up for this on my Gen1. Invaliable
That does sound easier than trying to jab two or three times at the touchscreen, which so far as I can tell is the only option on the Gen3. Whichever accountant thought up the wheeze of accessing key features other than by pressing a single button needs banishing to one of Putin's gulags.
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
trialframe

Post by trialframe »

Thanks for all the replies. I was asking because I've got a gen 3 S with 21" wheels (and surround view) but I'm looking to get a less vulnerable winter set of wheels.
trialframe

Post by trialframe »

By the way it's super easy to put surround view on the diamond button on a gen 3!
Wolands Advocate

trialframe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:08 pm By the way it's super easy to put surround view on the diamond button on a gen 3!
Thanks - that is precisely what I was after. I did not even know that button existed - it certainly wasn't drawn to my attention during the handover tech talk.

I wouldn't say it was easy - I had to find a video online that wasn't for a different model of Porsche (because on the Macan the instructions come up in the instrument binnacle display rather than the main infoscreen) and then it's a bit fiddly to work out which options to select, but yes, once you've worked out how to find and select the surround view option, it does what I want it to do.
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

trialframe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:08 pm By the way it's super easy to put surround view on the diamond button on a gen 3!
I've just done it on mine , every day's a school day.