How easy is it to kerb standard gen 3 S wheels

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
trialframe

Post by trialframe »

The wheels in the pic- which I think are the standard 20" on the Macan gen 3 S wheels - how easy is it to kerb these.
I previously had 19" wheels on my SD and because the tyre side walls were considerably fatter than the rims, it was difficult to kerb the rims

macan 20 wheels.jpg

gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

why would you wont to kerb them?
trialframe

Post by trialframe »

I want to know how kerbing resistant they are 😜
That is how easy or difficult is it for an idiot like me to avoid damaging the rims when parking etc.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Surround View is your friend...
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

Depends on the design.

But I have the GT Design ones on my GTS, and I'd say very. Indeed I slightly kerbed one of the rear ones within a couple of days of getting the car, going through that work of the devil known as our local width restrictor. I hadn't quite appreciated that despite being the same length as my old car, the Macan is a fair chunk wider, and I just caught the rear wheel on the rather vicious kerb as I exited the width restrictor.

It's only a slight scuff to the outer rim, but it shows up bright silver against the satin platinum finish and is on the driver's side of the car.

Does anyone know how to quickly activate the surround view camera if it doesn't self-start - is there a quick press button anywhere?
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Wolands Advocate wrote: ↑Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:49 am Depends on the design.

But I have the GT Design ones on my GTS, and I'd say very. Indeed I slightly kerbed one of the rear ones within a couple of days of getting the car, going through that work of the devil known as our local width restrictor. I hadn't quite appreciated that despite being the same length as my old car, the Macan is a fair chunk wider, and I just caught the rear wheel on the rather vicious kerb as I exited the width restrictor.

It's only a slight scuff to the outer rim, but it shows up bright silver against the satin platinum finish and is on the driver's side of the car.

Does anyone know how to quickly activate the surround view camera if it doesn't self-start - is there a quick press button anywhere?
I have the diamond button set up for this on my Gen1. Invaliable
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

trialframe wrote: ↑Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:18 am The wheels in the pic- which I think are the standard 20" on the Macan gen 3 S wheels - how easy is it to kerb these.
I previously had 19" wheels on my SD and because the tyre side walls were considerably fatter than the rims, it was difficult to kerb the rims
Not easy, the alloy is set in and protected by the rubber (on P Zeroes at least) a tyre will rub along a kerb without marking the alloy. I had 18" wheels previously, which managed one gouge in 39k miles, and this 20" set have not realised my worst fears, although I have steered clear of dry riverbeds with them, call me a wimp!
WA, it CAN'T "depend on the design" the question was clearly "STANDARD gen 3 S wheels" :shock:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Almost impossible question to answer but I’ll give it a go and say β€œ7”
Hope this helps πŸ‘
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Jon A wrote: ↑Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:02 pm Almost impossible question to answer but I’ll give it a go and say β€œ7”
Hope this helps πŸ‘
How come not 42 Jon? Do we need THHGTTG to adjudicate?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Surround view, and particularly the direct feed from the side cameras, is a life saver.

I have also mapped the diamond on the wheel to turn the cameras on - think it'll let you activate under 15mph. Have saved me, including through width restrictors, many many times.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94