Total cost of ownership -newbie

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
andreas

Post by andreas »

DJMCUK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:05 pm

I do think values will hold whilst the thought is that the EV Macan will replace the ICE one entirely in 2024/25.
If the ICE Macan continues for 5 or 10 years, bearing in mind Germany doesn't care about the 2035 deadline, ICE values will soften back to their norm.
Doesn't really matter what Germany cares about, the reality is that the UK government has decided to penalise manufacturers heavily if they don't sell an increasing large percentage of zero-emission cars (starting at 22% this year, and rising annually to 80% in 2030 and 100% in 2035). Porsche isn't in a good position to avoid this, so ICE Macans may well be dropped (perhaps apart from top-of-the-range versions).
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

DJMCUK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:34 pm
Jon A wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:24 pm

My neighbour has a 1yr old GTS and is considering buying another new GTS to replace it so as to get one of the "last ones" (though I think the Macan ICE will carry on for years).
He mentioned the current one has lost no money in that year. I guess the OPC is "discounting" the new one by offering a strong p/ex value?
Why else would it be?

I do think values will hold whilst the thought is that the EV Macan will replace the ICE one entirely in 2024/25.
If the ICE Macan continues for 5 or 10 years, bearing in mind Germany doesn't care about the 2035 deadline, ICE values will soften back to their norm.
It could be your neighbour is looking at the used prices at OPC for a similar car. I imagine the price will be around the new price from 12 months ago but of course in reality they probably gave the first owner about £9k less than this?
He bought the GTS new, has had it 1yr.
I understand. But he feels it has lost no money? Could it be that he is seeing 12 month old cars at OPC that are same price he paid new but in reality this is not what he could sell his 12 month old one for?
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Jon A wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:45 pm
DJMCUK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:34 pm
Jon A wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:24 pm
It could be your neighbour is looking at the used prices at OPC for a similar car. I imagine the price will be around the new price from 12 months ago but of course in reality they probably gave the first owner about £9k less than this?
He bought the GTS new, has had it 1yr.
I understand. But he feels it has lost no money? Could it be that he is seeing 12 month old cars at OPC that are same price he paid new but in reality this is not what he could sell his 12 month old one for?
Yep, that could be it. I overheard the conversation but next time we're talking 'Macan' I'll see if he can elucidate.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

andreas wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:40 pm

Doesn't really matter what Germany cares about, the reality is that the UK government has decided to penalise manufacturers heavily if they don't sell an increasing large percentage of zero-emission cars (starting at 22% this year, and rising annually to 80% in 2030 and 100% in 2035). Porsche isn't in a good position to avoid this, so ICE Macans may well be dropped (perhaps apart from top-of-the-range versions).
The UK government also needs to listen to what it's voters want, and that's not EVs.
I strongly believe, as I've said before, that EVs will die out as the main alternative to ICE cars.
(Net) zero emission and zero emission cars can still include ICE running on bio-fuels or zero petroleum/diesel, hydrogen, ammonia, Mr. Fusion, etc...
It'll take time, but the fewer the EVs we buy here the quicker the alternatives will push forward.
andreas

Post by andreas »

DJMCUK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:57 pm

The UK government also needs to listen to what it's voters want, and that's not EVs.
Our government isn't bright enough to understand the realities, they're just blindly wedded to the supposed kudos they'll get from declaring "Net Zero". Many MPs and civil servants don't even drive!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

andreas wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:20 pm

Our government isn't bright enough to understand the realities, they're just blindly wedded to the supposed kudos they'll get from declaring "Net Zero". Many MPs and civil servants don't even drive!
Don’t drive and are chauffeured in V8 Range Rovers 😲
Macan S MY 2023
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

PorscheMack wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:36 pm
crockers wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:46 pm There’s maths and man maths.
My T lost about 14% in 6 months. The S I bought was 17% lower after 6 weeks.
I thought I should have bought the S from new first time round but it appears the loss on the T is easily compensated by the saving on the S so I’m better off now than if I had bought the S new when I bought the T new.
Ok I wouldn’t have opted for the sports exhaust, Bose and double glazing but now I have them I wouldn’t want a car without them.

At this rate everything will be free. If only b
My GTS was purchased new for £74,500 (exc OTR+RFL cost). Sold back to OPC in November after 20 months for £65,000. That's 12.5%/£9,500 drop which I thought was reasonable for a OPC sale.
My neighbour has a 1yr old GTS and is considering buying another new GTS to replace it so as to get one of the "last ones" (though I think the Macan ICE will carry on for years).
He mentioned the current one has lost no money in that year. I guess the OPC is "discounting" the new one by offering a strong p/ex value?
Why else would it be?

It would not surprise me if the EU did not ban the manufacture and sale of ICE cars within Member States.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
andreas

Post by andreas »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:58 pm

It would not surprise me if the EU did not ban the manufacture and sale of ICE cars within Member States.
The EU might try to ban the sale in member states, but it surely couldn't ban the manufacture? There are loads of countries around the world where ICE cars would still be welcome, and the EU needs all the exports it can get.
Iceicebaby

Post by Iceicebaby »

PorscheMack wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:36 pm
crockers wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:46 pm There’s maths and man maths.
My T lost about 14% in 6 months. The S I bought was 17% lower after 6 weeks.
I thought I should have bought the S from new first time round but it appears the loss on the T is easily compensated by the saving on the S so I’m better off now than if I had bought the S new when I bought the T new.
Ok I wouldn’t have opted for the sports exhaust, Bose and double glazing but now I have them I wouldn’t want a car without them.

At this rate everything will be free. If only b
My GTS was purchased new for £74,500 (exc OTR+RFL cost). Sold back to OPC in November after 20 months for £65,000. That's 12.5%/£9,500 drop which I thought was reasonable for a OPC sale.
Why else would it be?

Probably not the greatest first post, but is your neighbours name Walter Mitty by any chance?
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

andreas wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:40 pm

I strongly believe, as I've said before, that EVs will die out as the main alternative to ICE cars.
(Net) zero emission and zero emission cars can still include ICE running on bio-fuels or zero petroleum/diesel, hydrogen, ammonia, Mr. Fusion, etc...
It'll take time, but the fewer the EVs we buy here the quicker the alternatives will push forward.
Governments never listen to their voters.

If we think things are bad now, just wait till Labour get in. Then the war on the car and Net Zero will really start. Some Woke Tory just resigned over the Uk issuing licences so we can produce our own oil and gas. How dare we do that?

I predict Labour will bring back the fuel duty escalator (a firm favourite during the Blair years) bring back the 2030 ICE ban, and to really appease the wokey left, ban new oil and gas licences.

Then they can brag they’re leading the world to net zero (as the majority of people don’t want that) while our gas and electricity bills rise even more as we’ll need to import more. While ignoring the lie that our bills will reduce with Green energy.

What a state for a country to be in. We can barely produce our own steel, and will then rely on other countries to sell us our energy. But luckily, those countries won’t put up their prices. No, they wouldn’t do that would they?

Where we once pretty much ruled the world, we’ll soon be at the mercy of it. If we can’t produce our own oil and gas, and can’t produce our own steel. God help us if we ever actually went to war again.
Last edited by wab172uk on Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.