Abnormal brake pad wear

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ALooS

Post by ALooS »

Hi All

New to the forum and Porsches. May be my first and last at this rate! Have had lots of issues with selling OPC from day 1.

I bought a 2019 Macan S with 29,500 miles 07/2023. OPC said 9mm front and 10mm rear brake pads remained.
Few days ago, at 37,700 miles the car pings 'change brake pads' message. Selling OPC are not interested in concerns of abnormally quick pad wear. I am considering escalation with Porsche GB.

The Macan is my daily driver and does about 90% motorway driving and I don't use cruise control. Previous cars such a X5, Range Rover Sport and 340i have all managed about 40,000 - 60,000 miles on a set of brake pads, and none of these cars are exactly light!

Is it usual to get through 7mm of pad material in about 7,000 miles???

Any input, would be appreciated.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Have you checked the actual depth of pad material remaining on all eight pads? Not easy I know, but there are a number of reasons a pad wear alert might be triggered. Could be faulty sensor, calliper or piston issue, parking brake fault, foreign body, etc, etc.

Are you the only driver? Not making any accusations here, but we heard recently from someone who’s wife was getting through brake pads on their X5 so fast that Kwik Fit couldn’t keep up with ordering replacements! (Only slight exaggeration there).

But joking apart, yes it’s possible to get through 7mm of pad material in 7k miles, but that’s a fairly fast wear rate.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
ALooS

Post by ALooS »

Was thinking of taking it to an indy to try get an impartial opinion. Getting into any OPC quickly in the South East just seems to be impossible.

I am the only driver of the car. The wife just hates the thing as it’s too ‘heavy’ for her.

Just seems far too premature to burn through a set of pads.
sacha.d

Post by sacha.d »

37,700 miles doesn’t sound crazy low for a set of brake pads, as you said 40,000 -60,000 is expected. There is probably 2-3mm left when the light comes on. Some people have said the ptv can wear the rear pads quite hard but I wouldn’t stress until you’ve seen them in the flesh.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

There are too many variables to say what is normal, plus were they exagerating the amount of meat left on the pads?

Years ago a work colleague and I had exactly the same company cars. He would scrub through a set of tyres in 15k whereas mine would last 25k. His brakes would probably have lasted 100k as he obviously never used them.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PSU7P9H5
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Ask for and check the service invoices to see if the pads have been changed from new. I suspect they haven't.

If no pad changes, ask the selling OPC how the pads were so unworn when you picked it up?

They may say they changed them pre-delivery which IS their get out. Our S had brand new discs all round on collection at 22k miles. The sales manager didn't know they'd been fitted.

Curious... why would cruise control usage give higher pad wear?
ALooS

Post by ALooS »

sacha.d wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:54 pm 37,700 miles doesn’t sound crazy low for a set of brake pads, as you said 40,000 -60,000 is expected. There is probably 2-3mm left when the light comes on. Some people have said the ptv can wear the rear pads quite hard but I wouldn’t stress until you’ve seen them in the flesh.
If it was 38k miles on a set of pads then I would have no issues. Its the fact that the pads were 9mm at 29,500 miles and the change pad light has come on some 8,000 miles later that has raised an eyebrow.
ALooS

Post by ALooS »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:08 pm There are too many variables to say what is normal, plus were they exagerating the amount of meat left on the pads?

Years ago a work colleague and I had exactly the same company cars. He would scrub through a set of tyres in 15k whereas mine would last 25k. His brakes would probably have lasted 100k as he obviously never used them.
Issue is, how do I prove that numbers were exaggerated? It’s my word vs OPC
ALooS

Post by ALooS »

DJMCUK wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:27 pm Ask for and check the service invoices to see if the pads have been changed from new. I suspect they haven't.

If no pad changes, ask the selling OPC how the pads were so unworn when you picked it up?

They may say they changed them pre-delivery which IS their get out. Our S had brand new discs all round on collection at 22k miles. The sales manager didn't know they'd been fitted.

Curious... why would cruise control usage give higher pad wear?
Good shout - I’ll be asking about previous pad service history.

Not sure about Porsche cruise control but with BMW cruise control it would use the brakes to scrub speed down.
crockers

Post by crockers »

When I had my Mercedes C320d I reckoned on 20,000 for pads and 40,000 for discs.
On my Volvo XC60s. First one sold on 70,000 miles original pads and discs.
So what’s normal is very hard to define.