Abnormal brake pad wear

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

My understanding is that it’s only ACC cruise control that uses the brakes to slow you down to the speed of the vehicle in front, whereas the standard cruise control doesn’t affect the brakes.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon

wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

ALooS wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:35 pm Hi All

New to the forum and Porsches. May be my first and last at this rate! Have had lots of issues with selling OPC from day 1.

I bought a 2019 Macan S with 29,500 miles 07/2023. OPC said 9mm front and 10mm rear brake pads remained.
Few days ago, at 37,700 miles the car pings 'change brake pads' message. Selling OPC are not interested in concerns of abnormally quick pad wear. I am considering escalation with Porsche GB.

The Macan is my daily driver and does about 90% motorway driving and I don't use cruise control. Previous cars such a X5, Range Rover Sport and 340i have all managed about 40,000 - 60,000 miles on a set of brake pads, and none of these cars are exactly light!

Is it usual to get through 7mm of pad material in about 7,000 miles???

Any input, would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.

I guess wear maybe down to your driving habit. I follow cars and they are always on their brakes when there is really no need to be.

Also, do you break late and heavy? All could be contributing factors.

Problem with automatics is you can’t use engine breaking like you can in a manual car. So, more wear on the pads. Plus, they are heavy cars.

I’d certainly get it checked out, as, as others have said, it might be a sensor or something.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

AllanG wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:40 am My understanding is that it’s only ACC cruise control that uses the brakes to slow you down to the speed of the vehicle in front, whereas the standard cruise control doesn’t affect the brakes.
ACC does wear brakes faster than on cars without it. Standard cruise will only use the brakes to maintain the set speed when descending hills.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:59 am
AllanG wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:40 am My understanding is that it’s only ACC cruise control that uses the brakes to slow you down to the speed of the vehicle in front, whereas the standard cruise control doesn’t affect the brakes.
ACC does wear brakes faster than on cars without it. Standard cruise will only use the brakes to maintain the set speed when descending hills.
ACC operates on the rear pads and discs.

I have ACC and PVTS (which also uses rear pads etc). I do several long motorway trips a year using ACC. At 40 k I had new rear pads and discs and was told my front pads were only half worn.

Aloos says he does not use CC and the front and rear wear when he bought the car was relatively even.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

pmg wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:24 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:59 am
ACC operates on the rear pads and discs.

I have ACC and PVTS (which also uses rear pads etc). I do several long motorway trips a year using ACC. At 40 k I had new rear pads and discs and was told my front pads were only half worn.

Aloos says he does not use CC and the front and rear wear when he bought the car was relatively even.
I was simply clarifying the difference in the use of brakes by ACC and CC.

But I’m interested to know the source of your statement that ACC only uses the rear brakes. If the traffic ahead slows rapidly on a motorway the ACC is going to need all the brakes to slow the car in response.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

pmg

Post by pmg »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:00 pm
But I’m interested to know the source of your statement that ACC only uses the rear brakes. If the traffic ahead slows rapidly on a motorway the ACC is going to need all the brakes to slow the car in response.
Reading this , Rennpost and PCGB forums. Neil had the dominance rear use of ACC stated by Sheffield OPC when his first Macan had rear pad change triggered first
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

pmg wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:16 pm
Reading this , Rennpost and PCGB forums. Neil had the dominance rear use of ACC stated by Sheffield OPC when his first Macan had rear pad change triggered first
Probably safe to say that the system uses a range of control options, power adjustments as well as braking with the rear and all the brakes as necessary.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:11 am
pmg wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:16 pm
Probably safe to say that the system uses a range of control options, power adjustments as well as braking with the rear and all the brakes as necessary.
It'd be nice to have the "function specification" for the ACC, but that's just a pipe dream.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
ALooS

Post by ALooS »

Since posting, I escalated to Porsche GB. They have agreed to replace the pads and discs at their cost. Which should be done in next few days. I didn’t realise that to get this done the cost at an OPC is circa £2500. Apparently labour costs are £285 (inc VAT) per hour! My local indy quoted me £1400 for the same job.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

ALooS wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:02 am Since posting, I escalated to Porsche GB. They have agreed to replace the pads and discs at their cost. Which should be done in next few days. I didn’t realise that to get this done the cost at an OPC is circa £2500. Apparently labour costs are £285 (inc VAT) per hour! My local indy quoted me £1400 for the same job.
Result amd good outcome. :D
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver