Rear washer pipe leak - modification?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mashup

Post by Mashup »

gbj1 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:48 pm Appears mine has stopped working again! Chester fixed it last time so I'll tell them now and see if they can fix before it goes in for an oil service in March (not hopeful about getting it done sooner tbh but still)
I presume this is despite using the correct strength of screen wash @gbj1?
MY23 Macan S

DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Mashup wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:06 am
gbj1 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:48 pm Appears mine has stopped working again! Chester fixed it last time so I'll tell them now and see if they can fix before it goes in for an oil service in March (not hopeful about getting it done sooner tbh but still)
That's an OPC argument BUT whoever had a car where the pipes can't freeze and then simply unfreeze? I've had frozen pipes in other cars but that's what has always happened. No pressure release valves or T pieces.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

Mashup wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:06 am
;)
Only used the squeezy bottle which they give you! They didn't say anything last time about it, and soon rectified, but it was around the time that some people had major issues with seats out etc
Guy

Post by Guy »

DJMCUK wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:54 pm That's an OPC argument BUT whoever had a car where the pipes can't freeze and then simply unfreeze?
I have posted about it before here viewtopic.php?p=260234#p260234, but VW Golf Mk4 rear wash was an example. Water froze in pipe near rear wiper motor (through which washer hose passes). Obviously water expands as it freezes and cracked the plastic connector, leading to leak. Hence many Mk4 Golfs still on the road have corroded rear hatch handle from water leaks inside tailgate. VW modified affected cars for free - with a small length of fuel pipe and two hose clamps.

If the Macan has such a plastic T-piece, frozen water (ice!) will probably crack it!
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

Quick update - rang to add this to the oil service and software update, to be told Porsche have very recently issued a bulletin saying this is no longer covered by warranty, and they'd have to "approach" them to discuss. They bIame external influences so not a fault!
Will now be in overnight, 1 hour oil change, two and a half hours software update, so the extra work would take it over 4 hours which they reckon means a second day.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

We got ours back Monday with rear washers fixed. Checked that they'd topped the washer up with ample proportion of winter washer additive.

The OPC Gold tech had advised they'd argued with PGB it was a design flaw but PGB, as you say, blame "external influences" i.e. cold.

I phoned PGB to alert them to the issue, as everyone should so that they might pay some attention. They said they may be able to assist but I asked them to hold whilst I spoke to the DP at the supplying OPC.

The DP accepted that the car should be useable outside in cold weather. He offered to fix FOC, collect the car, and supply a loan car (Macan).

2:1 water to winter additive gives protection down to -9C but I'm thinking it needs to be 1:1 next winter. That's 2 one litre bottles, £12 posted from Porsche Germany. Unless you wish to go off piste with another brand of washer antifreeze? I think not.
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

DJMCUK wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:26 am We got ours back Monday with rear washers fixed. Checked that they'd topped the washer up with ample proportion of winter washer additive.

The OPC Gold tech had advised they'd argued with PGB it was a design flaw but PGB, as you say, blame "external influences" i.e. cold.

I phoned PGB to alert them to the issue, as everyone should so that they might pay some attention. They said they may be able to assist but I asked them to hold whilst I spoke to the DP at the supplying OPC.

The DP accepted that the car should be useable outside in cold weather. He offered to fix FOC, collect the car, and supply a loan car (Macan).

2:1 water to winter additive gives protection down to -9C but I'm thinking it needs to be 1:1 next winter. That's 2 one litre bottles, £12 posted from Porsche Germany. Unless you wish to go off piste with another brand of washer antifreeze? I think not.
That's a completely unacceptable response from PGB. It's a design fault plain and simple. To try and avoid the issue by claiming it is 'external influences' is immoral and demonstrably wrong!
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

pstrat wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:53 am
DJMCUK wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:26 am We got ours back Monday with rear washers fixed. Checked that they'd topped the washer up with ample proportion of winter washer additive.

That's a completely unacceptable response from PGB. It's a design fault plain and simple. To try and avoid the issue by claiming it is 'external influences' is immoral and demonstrably wrong!
So, what can you do? A demonstration with placards outside PGB?

"Stop the washer pipe fault!"

We need someone to pay and then sue. Good luck with that!
I did this yers ago when NPower phoned to say they'd been reading my meter wrong for years and I owed £600. All bills paid up to date. They wouldn't let me switch away unless I paid fo their mistake. I did, and issued proceedings on the day they cashed my cheque. They didn't show at court so I won. They didn't pay so I sent the bailiff in to their head office.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

Conwy GTS wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:12 pm
2japs wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:22 pm
andreas wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:46 pm

Just ensure you have a decent concentration of antifreeze screenwash in the washer bottle.
Yip , simples 😗
Well, I had -20 deg C washer fluid in mine this time last year and it still happened and upon inspection today, it looks like it’s happened again. FFS !!
Hello again! Have you been to Chester OP yet? Told me they'd had one or two in, just wondering if one was you, and how you got on?
Conwy GTS

Post by Conwy GTS »

Apparently they are now owned by Sytner, so have gone through a massive re-allocation of orders, etc;
So I’m waiting for a call back from the customer service manager today. No issues with warranty though.

Now booked in for next Tuesday 👍
Current :
2021 Porsche Macan GTS

Previously :
2014 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Jaguar F Type 3.0S
2016 VW Golf R
2017 Audi S4 Avant
2016 Audi S3 Sportback