Gearbox failure warning

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

wooldric wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:33 pm Update:

Mid-afternoon today a Porsche Assistance expert arrived to assess the problem. He advised that this type of issue has been seen on Macan Turbo’s but is very unusual on a 2 litre model and unheard of on a car so new. He started by shifting the selector rapidly through P, R, N and D. This did not resolve the issue & after doing this a few times the car would no longer start. He then ran a diagnostic check which highlighted a number of transmission errors. He then performed a reset which cleared some but not all the fault codes. Finally he dis-connected and then reconnected the battery which cleared the error warnings and enabled the engine to fire. I then took the car on a test drive to see if the car had returned to full functionality, all appears to be running OK.

Hopefully that’s sorted it but I’m concerned that a reset may have just kicked the issue down the road rather than resolve any underlying fault. In any event I’ve registered the concern / complaint with Porsche UK.

My practical understanding of car mechanics ended with the Leyland A & B series engines so would appreciate feedback on whether or not I can now rest easy.

Thanks again for the helpful comments.
Good that it’s fixed. Impossible to say that the fault has gone for good but history tells us there’s a strong chance it has. Fingers crossed. Sometimes these transient error messages are thrown up when the battery voltage is low so if the car doesn’t get regular decent length runs it’s a good idea to give it a good run once a fortnight at least.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

wooldric wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:33 pm Update:

Mid-afternoon today a Porsche Assistance expert arrived to assess the problem. He advised that this type of issue has been seen on Macan Turbo’s but is very unusual on a 2 litre model and unheard of on a car so new. He started by shifting the selector rapidly through P, R, N and D. This did not resolve the issue & after doing this a few times the car would no longer start. He then ran a diagnostic check which highlighted a number of transmission errors. He then performed a reset which cleared some but not all the fault codes. Finally he dis-connected and then reconnected the battery which cleared the error warnings and enabled the engine to fire. I then took the car on a test drive to see if the car had returned to full functionality, all appears to be running OK.

Hopefully that’s sorted it but I’m concerned that a reset may have just kicked the issue down the road rather than resolve any underlying fault. In any event I’ve registered the concern / complaint with Porsche UK.

My practical understanding of car mechanics ended with the Leyland A & B series engines so would appreciate feedback on whether or not I can now rest easy.

Thanks again for the helpful comments.
So, basically he didn't fixed the problem, or identified what was causing the problem. He simply disconnected the battery to get rid of the error codes. OK !!

Certainly sound like kicking the can down the road. If I was you, I'd book it into the dealers for a full diagnostics. Something set the error codes off in the first place. Bit like taking the bulb out of the engine warning light to get rid of the error warning.

Good that you logged it with Porsche UK though.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

If we all toddled off to Currys instead of just rebooting our PCs/phones/TVs/etc. Just imagine the queues! It is 50% car 50% computer..... it'll be fine!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Tidesurge3

Post by Tidesurge3 »

Not sure when anybody last spent +- £70k at curry’s Neil, I would not be happy if it was my 3 week old, 400 mile car. Fingers crossed this is the end of it. Good luck.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRD69BS9 GTS on order for Mar 24 delivery.
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:13 am If we all toddled off to Currys instead of just rebooting our PCs/phones/TVs/etc. Just imagine the queues! It is 50% car 50% computer..... it'll be fine!
I've had a brand new car with Gearbox issues before, and trust me, it's not a case of rebooting the system and everything is hunky dory.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

wab172uk wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:31 am
Neil1911 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:13 am If we all toddled off to Currys instead of just rebooting our PCs/phones/TVs/etc. Just imagine the queues! It is 50% car 50% computer..... it'll be fine!
I've had a brand new car with Gearbox issues before, and trust me, it's not a case of rebooting the system and everything is hunky dory.
..... but worth a try, first. Sorry but I'm a born optimist :)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:03 pm
wab172uk wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:31 am
..... but worth a try, first. Sorry but I'm a born optimist :)
But a true/real mechanical gearbox issue wouldn’t go away with a reboot. This sounds very much software driven.
Macan S MY 2023