Coolant System Failure warning light

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
TonyGair

Post by TonyGair »

Hi,
I have a 2019 Macan S with 20,000 miles and a full service history. I have a warning light come on stating “cooling system fault, take to Porsche workshop for repair”. Car is running normally except heater not heating up. No leaks and coolant level fine. Took to Porsche who charged me £216 to reset and remove warning light. They believe it’s a faulty coolant temp sensor and have quoted a further £416 + VAT to repair. However they said there are a further two sensors that they cannot test until the faulty one is repaired. I am concerned that they may not fix the problem first time.
Has anyone had similar issues? Any advice? The car is obviously out of warranty and it could cost me a fortune to fix what seems a small issue.

DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

"Obviously out of warranty" is the main issue.

We bought a 2019 S, with 32 month Porsche used warranty, specifically so we could keep it in warranty after that for 15yrs/125k miles. It's pricey to do this at £1,500 for 2yrs but I believe it's the only way to run such an expensive to repair car with so much electrickery inside, sensors and "small issues" included.

We have been slightly influenced by our previous X1 which had one repair at £10,000+ (a fuel sensor), and another at £2,500, both covered by warranty.

I'd put the repairs down to experience, pay through the nose to have them fixed, then put an extended warranty on it for peace of mind going forward.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I would get a good Indy to fix it and then go get a warranty 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Worth getting a quote from Indy.
Guy

Post by Guy »

TonyGair wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:44 am They believe it’s a faulty coolant temp sensor and have quoted a further £416 + VAT to repair.
That's a one hour job (if you also drain/refill the coolant), and the sensor should be about £20 - I'd definitely look for an independent, but check first that they have suitable (Porsche compatible) diagnostic equipment to check for other potential faults afterwards.

When I had my Macan I bought an iCarSoft V2.0 for about £150 - this would have diagnosed and cleared the warning far cheaper than your single Dealer visit. I highly recommend such a device for anyone outside of warranty - iCarsoft do a V3.0 now. Mine has a licence for up to 10 vehicle makes and I have only loaded three so far - even cleared the engine warning light on my motorbike prior to its MOT 😀
Last edited by Guy on Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Jon A wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:33 pm I would get a good Indy to fix it and then go get a warranty 👍
Good call. Ask here if you don't know which indy is good. Need your location for this.

Also, did you buy it new from the same OPC or used from a trader/private? If the latter, how long ago?