2023 Macan base model - first impressions

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Skyway wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:46 pm Out of interest why would the running boards be on your list? My original original spec had them but after seeing how narrow they were they seemed pretty useless so I removed them.
I also go kayaking about once a week March-November and without running boards I wouldn't be able to tie it down to the roof rack. I can also wash the roof by standing on the boards, Mine has never seen a supermarket car park but I suppose they would stop somebody opening their door against mine.

MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:02 pm
Skyway wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:46 pm Out of interest why would the running boards be on your list? My original original spec had them but after seeing how narrow they were they seemed pretty useless so I removed them.
I also go kayaking about once a week March-November and without running boards I wouldn't be able to tie it down to the roof rack. I can also wash the roof by standing on the boards, Mine has never seen a supermarket car park but I suppose they would stop somebody opening their door against mine.
I've witnessed countless people banging doors into adjacent cars over the years and also just letting trolley's hit cars too quite a bit. So while not complete protection, the boards do offer a little. And yep, very handy to access the roof and roof rails.
The only negative (aside from cost) is that they can catch the back of your calves getting in and out so you need to be mindful of that if it's wet out I guess
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:29 pm
sd1985 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:39 pm
Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:35 pm I've just specced an "S" & "GTS" to my preferred spec and the S was £71k and the GTS was £79.5 k . No sport chrone, no 21" wheels but with acoutic glass & running boards but still £8.5k difference.
Yep as expected, if you don’t want or value all the extra standard things that come with a GTS over an S, then it obviously makes sense to go with the S.

Each to there own right, for me I value all those standard things on the GTS a lot, and once I added them to an S it cost me more so went with the top of the range model as it made sense.

If I wasn’t interested in those extras I’d probably go with an S model as well
I'm an old fart and value comfort over outright roadholding, not that the "S" isn't excellent in that department. As you say everybody's needs are different.
Mine came with running boards , not many fans of them on this forum, but they would be near the top of my list if I bought another Macan.
We have driven many more miles over various roads in the base Macan today. What is really noticeable is the poor seats and suspension compared to standard PASM and 14-ways in our S.
I don't know if there are two types of 18-ways but these have a slightly higher seat base side to 'climb over' and they cramp your bum as well as feeling firmer.
I can see why they'd be described as 'sports' seats if that's the only 18-way option.
I'd previously thought that 14 and 18 ways were roughly the same design but with 4 more adjustments on the 18s but it would be more correct to call the 14-ways 'comfort' if the 18-ways are indeed alternatively labelled 'sports'.
If I were tracking the Macan (unlikely!) I'd consider these 18-ways but otherwise the 14s hold me in place perfectly well and are more comfortable.

Also, how many types of air suspension are there and how do I know which this base car has?
It really is not nice. I know many find Audi S-Line and BMW MSport suspension acceptable but like those set ups I object to being constantly bobbled around and crashing over potholes etc.
So often the 'top spec' reflects a 'sportier drive' which includes suspension unsuitable to the average UK road. But owners quietly suffer snd accept it because, being the most expensive option, it must be the best.

Best option today? After a long walk, the heated steering wheel. Our S has it too.
Today's oddity... noticed one of the haptic buttons was illuminated. Must have brushed it with a hand/arm/finger. Our S has oldie worldie buttons. Good.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Here's a thing...
Just went out again and did half the journey in Sport suspension. This solved the Normal suspension setting's bobbling about!
Whereas most harder settings made the ride more unbearable, Sport smoothed it out really well
Maybe the switch is on upside down?
Odd... very odd. Or is it?
crockers

Post by crockers »

DJMCUK wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:12 am
Tracky wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:28 pm Where are the pics !?
20231114_101308.jpg

20231114_101254.jpg

20231114_110912.jpg
I think those seat centres are more Lava orange than Papaya. Not to my taste.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

DJMCUK wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:32 pm Here's a thing...
Just went out again and did half the journey in Sport suspension. This solved the Normal suspension setting's bobbling about!
Whereas most harder settings made the ride more unbearable, Sport smoothed it out really well
Maybe the switch is on upside down?
Odd... very odd. Or is it?
No it's not odd, my Turbo was pretty much permanently set in Sport suspension and in the Low setting, others have said the same.

Re your previous post, AFAIK there are not different types of air suspension but from comments on here it's likely that the algorithm for its control has been fine tuned over time between the three variants of the Macan.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA