Stop/start when slowing and stopping...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

It’s a VAG thing, when all conditions are met it will do it.

Sounds perfectly normal.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

DJMCUK wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:42 pm
Moriarty wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:29 pm Every car I’ve had with stop/start does this if you are slowed right down but still creeping forward. It’s normal, working as designed. Was the main reason I always turned off start/stop in my Mercedes, but now I’m used to it I don’t care so much about it in my Macan so I leave it on.
Nope. Our old X1 didn't do it, neither does my 981.

It makes sense to have actually stopped before switching off the engine and power steering, doesn't it?
I agree, and the start/stop function on my current, and previous BMW's only cut the engine once the car has stopped (I'd say there is about a second delay after stopping before engine cuts)

If stop/start is cutting engine before coming to a complete stop, it can only be faulty or is poorly designed.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

On-Track wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:05 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:22 pm Yep, I usually turn auto stop start off, but when I have used it occasionally on the 911 it will do this sometimes. It depends how you come to a stop, if slowly drawing to a halt and releasing the brake a few seconds before rolling to a stop the engine may cut before you stop. I don’t see it as a fault and I suspect the OPC won’t either.
Funnily enough Nick when I'm slowly drawing to a halt, I release the brake to stop the engine cutting out. I particularly use this technique in stop/start traffic when I can see the queue is starting to move and I want to prevent stop/start activating. If the queue is long then I turn stop/start off but as I like the "cruise" function I normally leave it on. It was so much easier with the SD because I used the diamond button to quickly turn stop/start off but I'm using that button to turn on surround view when exiting blind junctions.

AS a digression, my wife's Tiguan stop/start also cuts in if slowly braking to a standstill. What's even more annoyiing with that system is if the car has been at a standstill for more than a second it wont restart until the throttle is pressed. Just releasing the brake has no effect (the car is still held by the auto-standstill brake).
Doesn't the auto-standstill brake only apply if you press the brake pedal really hard, as was the case with my E-Class? Just seems odd it would apply every time the Tiguan stops?
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Mine has to definitely come to a complete stop before it shuts off. But I have a different scenario, because I'm so gentle with the brakes, on many occasions it doesn't switch off at all.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

TheTraveller wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:56 pm Mine has to definitely come to a complete stop before it shuts off. But I have a different scenario, because I'm so gentle with the brakes, on many occasions it doesn't switch off at all.
I wonder what sensor/s activate the engine shut off when forward movement stops?
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

DJMCUK wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:41 pm
On-Track wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:05 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:22 pm Yep, I usually turn auto stop start off, but when I have used it occasionally on the 911 it will do this sometimes. It depends how you come to a stop, if slowly drawing to a halt and releasing the brake a few seconds before rolling to a stop the engine may cut before you stop. I don’t see it as a fault and I suspect the OPC won’t either.
Funnily enough Nick when I'm slowly drawing to a halt, I release the brake to stop the engine cutting out. I particularly use this technique in stop/start traffic when I can see the queue is starting to move and I want to prevent stop/start activating. If the queue is long then I turn stop/start off but as I like the "cruise" function I normally leave it on. It was so much easier with the SD because I used the diamond button to quickly turn stop/start off but I'm using that button to turn on surround view when exiting blind junctions.

AS a digression, my wife's Tiguan stop/start also cuts in if slowly braking to a standstill. What's even more annoyiing with that system is if the car has been at a standstill for more than a second it wont restart until the throttle is pressed. Just releasing the brake has no effect (the car is still held by the auto-standstill brake).
Doesn't the auto-standstill brake only apply if you press the brake pedal really hard, as was the case with my E-Class? Just seems odd it would apply every time the Tiguan stops?
The Tiguan auto-standstill brake "does what it says on the tin" and doesn't require any brake application. It can be a pain during slow speed manouevering.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

The auto brake will detect an incline or you can engage with two sharp presses of the brake pedal when stationery 😉

The HOLD light will appear when engaged.
Macan S MY 2023
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^ Only one sharp press of the brake pedal is needed, but it can be a bit hit and miss in practice.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Yeah, you're right, one solid press :)
Macan S MY 2023
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Mine will sometimes turn off when under 5 miles an hour and the brake is being applied - ie, coming to a stop. My Audi did this also.

Best way to avoid this is to drive the car in sport mode. Then start/stop is disable by default !
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94