Second thoughts….maybe

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
crockers

Post by crockers »

I’ve got a friend with a BMW Alpina 3 touring.
He hates the suspension and has now gone through 3 tyres and one wheel damaged by potholes. He found the Macan suspension brilliant. Ok it’s only a T with air but it’s pretty akin to the GTS suspension. The T on 20” wheels is greater than the S on 21”. I was surprised at that. Soon it will be an S on 19” winters. That will make for an interesting driving experience

bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Can't agree with the 20 v 21 observation....................
19 winter is excellent, especially in rmonsoon rain. Snow was a couple of years ago and was .............................. a non event.............. unlike for others........
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

crockers wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:38 pm I’ve got a friend with a BMW Alpina 3 touring.
He hates the suspension and has now gone through 3 tyres and one wheel damaged by potholes. He found the Macan suspension brilliant.
And Alpina have softer more comfort orientated suspension settings than M-cars....(although most Alpina buyers spec the biggest wheel option so its the rubber band tyres that usually what causes the problems)
stuart1969

Post by stuart1969 »

My thoughts, I just swapped from an M340i saloon which was very fast but did not have the "feel" of the Porsche of the higher road position which I prefer. Also the BMW was a very firm ride so the air suspension is a godsend as our roads are crap - it has all the power I need and more considering the ever increasing restrictions and lets face it - the Porsche badge is IMO a nice to have plus you do not see as many on the road. I did seriously consider the SVR Jag though as that engine note would be rather nice - I had a 5.0 Mustang and I miss the sound, it never got boring but the rest of the family hated it as it was noisy and had no room.
kalniel

Post by kalniel »

Definitely drive the Macan back home and test it can fit your stuff - that's got to be a number 1 priority or you'll want to change out again. If it doesn't, then consider a cayenne maybe? Should feel similar in size to the f-pace (though I think it's a bit larger).

If willing to give up the SUV driving position (as per M3 touring) then also consider the new RS4 Competition (not the non-competition) which gets good write ups around ride quality and has a slightly old-school cabin like the Macan - and loosing out to the M3 at 10/10th doesn't mean it wouldn't still be better than an SUV handling wise: https://www.evo.co.uk/estates/206284/bm ... ad-to-head
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

Had a 20 plate F Pace, loved the car, no quality issues but a bit underpowered, as was a 2.0 Litre diesel, like the look of the SVR. M3 Tourer looks the business but expect it to be a very harsh ride, Macan GTS/S great car and wouldn't hesitate getting another