Porsche Experience Day - weather

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

I have my 'Porsche Experience' booked at Silverstone for this Thursday 2nd November. I am looking forward to it and all ready to go. However, Storm Ciaran has popped his head over the horizon and is due to strike the UK on Wednesday and Thursday. The ferocity of the storm has been upgraded this evening to 50-60 kt winds with heavy rain. Not the most pleasant weather to travel in, let alone hare around a racing circuit.
The website says that the experience days operate 'rain or shine' unless the top man deems it unsafe (presumably on the day).
With little uncertainty over the forecast for the day, I would hate to battle my way to Silverstone, only for the day to be cancelled, and have to battle my way back home again.

My question is this - do Porsche have a 'Duty of Care' towards their customers in these circumstances? Say a PE customer had a weather-related accident on the way to a cancelled PE day, which could reasonably and forseeably have been cancelled due to the weather forecast, do Porsche open themselves up to a claim by insisting that customers turn-up before a cancellation decision is made?

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Not in my book, where are you travelling from?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

stallturn wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:20 pm I have my 'Porsche Experience' booked at Silverstone for this Thursday 2nd November. I am looking forward to it and all ready to go. However, Storm Ciaran has popped his head over the horizon and is due to strike the UK on Wednesday and Thursday. The ferocity of the storm has been upgraded this evening to 50-60 kt winds with heavy rain. Not the most pleasant weather to travel in, let alone hare around a racing circuit.
The website says that the experience days operate 'rain or shine' unless the top man deems it unsafe (presumably on the day).
With little uncertainty over the forecast for the day, I would hate to battle my way to Silverstone, only for the day to be cancelled, and have to battle my way back home again.

My question is this - do Porsche have a 'Duty of Care' towards their customers in these circumstances? Say a PE customer had a weather-related accident on the way to a cancelled PE day, which could reasonably and forseeably have been cancelled due to the weather forecast, do Porsche open themselves up to a claim by insisting that customers turn-up before a cancellation decision is made?
I very much doubt they would - they can't control how sensibly or otherwise you drive to get there

Given it is well publicised that the weather is going to be bad I'd phone them and ask if you can defer it if it looks to be bad - that might agree to that
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

I think you can rearrange 24hrs in advanced - I'd call quickly! I'm sure you're not the only one wishing to rearrange.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

Interesting question. I have mine booked for 13 Nov. Fingers crossed weather will be ok on the day.
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

MUCH better on a bad weather day. Get yourself there................................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

I'm sure the day would be a lot more 'interesting' if the circuit is lashed with rain. However, my point is about a pre-emptive decision about weather, given the horrendous forecast.
I don't want to be standing there at 0900 on Thursday, having battled my way through the storm to get there, only to be told "sorry, lads & lasses, the weather is too horrendous for driving" - when that decision could have been made the previous evening given the forecast.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

stallturn wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:17 am I'm sure the day would be a lot more 'interesting' if the circuit is lashed with rain. However, my point is about a pre-emptive decision about weather, given the horrendous forecast.
I don't want to be standing there at 0900 on Thursday, having battled my way through the storm to get there, only to be told "sorry, lads & lasses, the weather is too horrendous for driving" - when that decision could have been made the previous evening given the forecast.
Bearing in mind that they actually spray parts of the facility with water I don't see that happening, especially for a 4x4. Flooding might stop it but I don't think that's ever affected Silverstone, could be wrong! Certainly what you'll learn in horrendous weather will be more use to you in the real world than anything a hot sunny day would supply.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I can think of some places on there that you could aquaplane to be fair so there will have to be some common sense applied
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

simply , just your call