Festival of Speed - heads up on travel and ticket collection

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

GeeRam wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:04 am I think this bizarre decision by the elf n safety zealots will end up biting them on the behind...

I wonder how many thousands of people had an early night last night for an early start this morning and the first they knew of it was when arriving to get into the car park.. :o

I've not been to FOS for over 20 years now, but marshalled at it between '95 and '01, and only ever went as a ticket buying member of the public the once in '02 when I took the now ex-missus. Not been back since, I much prefer the Revival in September.

I remember marshalling at a very wet and windy FOS in the 90's which was as bad, if not worse than the forecast for today, and we all coped fine on the day... :roll:
I think the wind is the problem not the rain

It is blowing quite strongly where I am and I guess the concern is there are a lot of objects over there that could be moveable in big winds and it only takes one…
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Tracky wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:51 pm
GeeRam wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:04 am I think this bizarre decision by the elf n safety zealots will end up biting them on the behind...

I wonder how many thousands of people had an early night last night for an early start this morning and the first they knew of it was when arriving to get into the car park.. :o

I've not been to FOS for over 20 years now, but marshalled at it between '95 and '01, and only ever went as a ticket buying member of the public the once in '02 when I took the now ex-missus. Not been back since, I much prefer the Revival in September.

I remember marshalling at a very wet and windy FOS in the 90's which was as bad, if not worse than the forecast for today, and we all coped fine on the day... :roll:

It is blowing quite strongly where I am and I guess the concern is there are a lot of objects over there that could be moveable in big winds and it only takes one…
Event insurance company pulling the plug is the rumour I'm hearing from someone I know who is marshalling there this weekend, but that is only speculative rumour, rather than fact.
Whispers are that forecasts were for more than 50mph gusts today, and ins co's limit is 50mph, or so the rumour is, hence pulling the plug. Reality is looking like 40mph gusts at most today, but as we've seen met office issue warnings on the side of worse case ever since they had their pants pulled down after the '87 (or '88) Hurricane......you can see how they might have made the decision to pull the plug.
Gust speed across whole of UK at the moment is highest along south coast area from Exeter to Brighton, plus north Kent coast, and ironically inland between Swindon and Cirencester which includes area of RIAT at RAF Fairford...all around 39-41mph.
GTB

Post by GTB »

Maybe a powercut forecast, so chargers not working for those attending with EV's......................... :lol: :lol:

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
pmg

Post by pmg »

GeeRam wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:14 pm
Tracky wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:51 pm

Event insurance company pulling the plug is the rumour I'm hearing from someone I know who is marshalling there this weekend, but that is only speculative rumour, rather than fact.
Whispers are that forecasts were for more than 50mph gusts today, and ins co's limit is 50mph, or so the rumour is, hence pulling the plug. Reality is looking like 40mph gusts at most today, but as we've seen met office issue warnings on the side of worse case ever since they had their pants pulled down after the '87 (or '88) Hurricane......you can see how they might have made the decision to pull the plug.
Gust speed across whole of UK at the moment is highest along south coast area from Exeter to Brighton, plus north Kent coast, and ironically inland between Swindon and Cirencester which includes area of RIAT at RAF Fairford...all around 39-41mph.
Living 6 miles South East of Goodwood so far today nothing like 50 mph gusts
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Was there yesterday, pissed it down the entire day but it was a great day out!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94