Cam belt change - £789 on a VW Polo!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

I appreciate this is off topic (albeit still within the VW group)

I just got quoted £789 for a cam belt change on our 2018 VW Polo! This is from a VW dealer (we have a service plan with them that doesn’t include this as an additional item) Apparently this is required every five years.

I haven’t seen this on any of our Porsche services so far or on our previous VW Tiguan but this and my previous Macan was a diesel - do they not have cam belts?

Is it included in the major Porsche service for petrol engines - perhaps that why they are so expensive! If they cost this much on a polo, I dread to think how much the OPC’s will charge.

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

The Macan has a timing chain, instead of the belt. It should last a lot longer. The only thing noticeable with chains, is that they can become noisier as they age.
You may see no service schedule, as per normal for a cam belt, as there isn't one. Not on the V configuration engines, at any case.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I believe that all engines used in the Macan have timing chains not belts.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

commonly @ultrabelse belt changes recommended 5/7 years and 70k miles whichever comes first. If your light on mileage just hold back and shop around when your ready as that price is OTT.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

ultrabelse wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:16 pm I appreciate this is off topic (albeit still within the VW group)

I just got quoted £789 for a cam belt change on our 2018 VW Polo! This is from a VW dealer (we have a service plan with them that doesn’t include this as an additional item) Apparently this is required every five years.

I haven’t seen this on any of our Porsche services so far or on our previous VW Tiguan but this and my previous Macan was a diesel - do they not have cam belts?

Is it included in the major Porsche service for petrol engines - perhaps that why they are so expensive! If they cost this much on a polo, I dread to think how much the OPC’s will charge.

That seems expensive for the cam belt change on your Polo, as I was quoted £439.59 inc VAT for the same job at my local VW dealer in May last year 🤔
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
boreas7

Post by boreas7 »

I believe that fibre/rubber cambelts have a design life of 8 to 10 years or 80 to 100k miles whichever comes first. There are a number of manufacturers recently and particularily on turbo engines, that seem to have had belt quality issues, probably the same belt supplier. A lot of cars share the same, or similar engine and the problem seems fairly widespread.
Your quote however is typical of a main dealer and is just too expensive, seek a better price.
Have it done though, whilst the failure rate is low, possibly less than 10%, a failure is catastrophic to the engine.
New User

Post by New User »

Quoted £699 on my 2018 Polo for this.

I also have a BMW X3 and the belt drives the accessories rather than cylinder head so less critical but £308 incl VAT to include the replacement of the tensioner from a BMW Dealer.

£789 for the Polo is outrageous
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

£493 for our Yeti 2.0 tdi last year at local independent. Cam belt kit includes tensioner and water pump. VW recommend 4 yearly or 40k miles for this engine.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Thanks everyone. Great information and advice as always on this forum

I got the original VW dealer from £789 down to £669 and called around to benchmark -

3 other VW dealers wanted £789 - £1050 (!)
3 independents were £500 - £700

So I was fine to pay the modest premium and get it done with the service and MOT at the original VW dealer

I’m based in SW London / Surrey so am sure there’s a London premium in those prices too