Rear Bumper - Repair or Replace?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Middle_Ager

Post by Middle_Ager »

Evening all. welcome some advice, maybe somebody has been through similar pain in the past (unfortunately).
Managed to reverse at slow speed into my own fence post this evening. Only about 4mph but the car now has battle scars.
Car 0, Post 1.
I have no idea if this is repairable or if its a new bumper job. Obviously if a new bumper I will go through insurance and swallow the excess but if its repairable I may avoid any insurance related discussions!
If anyone is in the Chichester, West Sussex area - any recommendations on who might be able to assess and/or do a good job?
Being plastic I wasnt sure if it can be 'moulded back' or whether its never going to sit right and I just need to suck it up and replace.
There is white plastic showing through where the bumper Split/cracked, and then there is an area about 3 inches long below it which has distorted.
Its obviously shifted a bit as well, the panel alignment with the rear quarter panel is now out (bumper protruding a couple of mm).
I've tried to show in pics.

Embarrassed the car is so dirty!

Macan S, Volcanic Grey, 2020.
Grateful for any guidance.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

You need to get a smart repair man to take a look, where are you, you might get some recommendations....
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I agree - try a smart repair first. Some are very good.

It is very annoying - but could always be worse. Good luck. :D
adam b

Post by adam b »

Smart repair every time.

It’s not just the excess, it’s the impact on your insurance quotes for the next 5 years
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
jean458

Post by jean458 »

this is nothing, even if the bumper is cut in half it can be repaired...
A new bumper is very expensive
PORSCHE999

Post by PORSCHE999 »

It's a shame, it looks like the paints been affected, if it was just a plastic dent, you could try boiling hot water on the bumper, this expands and contracts the plastic and usually goes back to original shape
SC85

Post by SC85 »

Hi there fellow Chichester area Macan driver!!

I would also go smart repairer and, whilst I don’t have one to recommend, suspect the detailer I use would be able to guide you to one that he knows.

Wax is Dead detailing/ceramic coating over at Oving, I’d give him a call and ask, he’s high end so suspect any recommendation he has would be decent.

Ps - if you find one that’s good, do let me know!
2022 Macan S - Night Blue
SC85

Post by SC85 »

The other people to ask for a recommendation would be Harbour Cars.
2022 Macan S - Night Blue
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

I don't trust smart repairs guy, go to a proper body shop might cost a bit more but it will last.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

I don't trust smart repairs guy, go to a proper body shop might cost a bit more but it will last.