Pano Roof Questions

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:43 pm
2japs wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:26 am
RGS wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:59 am £59.70 to check and clear all drains on my recent OPC service.
You pay your money and take your choice, if it gives you peace of mind, it’s not exactly a fortune.

I agree with regard to a pano roof (not that I’d ever spec one).

With regard to the fuel filler cavity and the windscreen scuttle, I think it’s profiteering. Neither would lead to water leaking to the interior of the car and both would be pretty blinkin’ obvious to the casual observer. ;)
Yeah, get that.
With the Macan there seems to be one or two extra bits of maintenance I never even considered with previous cars, the Pano roof drains and screen wash strength re the freezing issue. I asked at handover what strength the washer fluid was and didn’t seem to know, just shown the refill cap and recommended to get a jug with a spout🤷‍♂️

Never worried about anything with first Macan, although it required a oil service after 12 months, having said that I only had it 18months.
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

2japs wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:48 pm
You pay your money and take your choice, if it gives you peace of mind, it’s not exactly a fortune.

With regard to the fuel filler cavity and the windscreen scuttle, I think it’s profiteering. Neither would lead to water leaking to the interior of the car and both would be pretty blinkin’ obvious to the casual observer. ;)
Yeah, get that.
With the Macan there seems to be one or two extra bits of maintenance I never even considered with previous cars, the Pano roof drains and screen wash strength re the freezing issue. I asked at handover what strength the washer fluid was and didn’t seem to know, just shown the refill cap and recommended to get a jug with a spout🤷‍♂️

Never worried about anything with first Macan, although it required a oil service after 12 months, having said that I only had it 18months.

Car asking for an oil change after a year is common, with ‘Audi’ engines. My Panamera 4 wanted an oil change at 10k miles after only about 7 months! (Mostly motorway miles.)

The technical knowledge of the average SE is way below many of the folks on here! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

RGS wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:59 am £59.70 to check and clear all drains on my recent OPC service.

Not defending the costs Simon, but there is a potential route for water to enter the car from the windscreen scuttle. The ventilation plenum chamber inlet is there and if that fills with water and the pollen filter seals aren’t perfect water can get into the passenger footwell. And re the drain from the fuel filler chamber, it’s purpose is to drain water and potentially fuel away safely and keep it away from bodywork and the rear tyre, both of which can be damaged by fuel.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:02 pm

Not defending the costs Simon, but there is a potential route for water to enter the car from the windscreen scuttle. The ventilation plenum chamber inlet is there and if that fills with water and the pollen filter seals aren’t perfect water can get into the passenger footwell. And re the drain from the fuel filler chamber, it’s purpose is to drain water and potentially fuel away safely and keep it away from bodywork and the rear tyre, both of which can be damaged by fuel.

⬆️ This is why you’re my technical/mechanical guru, Nick! :)

But I still maintain that a drain blockage in either of those locations should be easily spotted (and subsequently rectified) by an observant owner. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

My last three MB's have had a pano roof and never had any problems with blocked drains,(cars always parked in the garage) is it just a Porsche problem. I'd always spec the pano roof purely for the brighter interior and the option to tilt the roof for some draught free ventilation. I have to admit that I very rarely opened the roof fully as it gets a bit blustery above about 55mph. I always had the shade open and rear seat passengers always commented on how light and spacious the rear felt with the pano roof.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

The panoramic roof in the Macan is great. Had one on both my Macans and use it tilted and fully open during sunny weather a lot. 8-) Rarely have the blind across as prefer the extra light that it gives. :idea:

Never garaged, but never parked under trees. Never had any problems with water ingress in 6 years combined use.

My OPC did try and charge to service the GTS' roof at the 1st service, at 2yrs old, but I refused to pay for it.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Just do what I do and don’t park under trees and keep the drains clear with a Henry Hoover.
Also, cut the drain ends off as they restrict the flow and cause the blockage.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

I use mine and had no problems with leaks. I have not carried out any drain cleaning (although the dealer may have without my knowledge). With speed kept at a reasonable level the noise is fine for me as it is not exessive.
Deleted User 5286

Post by Deleted User 5286 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:15 pm ^^^^^ +1

Those in the rear seats would benefit most, but then it does reduce headroom.
+2 a spec error on my part would delete darkened glass if no Pano roof though…