Thoughts on my new Dolomite Silver S so far

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Ntense

Post by Ntense »

I took delivery of my Gen 2 S in October 2019 and a while later a colleague on asking if I was happy with it was shocked with my reply that it’s just ok. This was really due to the throttle response or turbo lag which I though really affected my enjoyment of the car, in other respects it was great. Fast forward a few years and a series of extended test drives in the Gen 3 S demonstrated that the new model was so much better with virtually no lag. Deposit placed Feb 2022 with a build slot in October. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to give up the earlier build and finally took delivery of my new Macan S last week, it took almost 4 weeks from the end of the build to delivery, which was agony and ecstasy, but the wait was worth it.

Finalising the spec took ages, started with Gentian, but viewing this in an overcast light made me change to Dolomite silver with extended leather in Bordeaux Red. It is nigh on impossible to photograph the interior accurately but the colour is a rich wine hue not like garnet of old which is very bright. Extended leather really gives the interior that special feeling I felt was missing on my earlier Macan which had the standard leather interior. I opted for 14 comfort seats this time over the 18’s really due to the side bolsters which passengers found difficult especially my ageing mother. For my medium frame the 14 way seats are just as comfortable. Had the standard stereo last time and opted for Bose which has much better bass response but the standard is perfectly acceptable in my opinion for most of my listening.

Selecting the wheels was difficult, having had 21” RS Spyder’s which were just gorgeous but a headache in other respects mainly due to the diamond cut finish, I had very slight parking scratches sorted as a smart repair but I just wanted easy to clean and maintain wheels going forward. Really wated the GT Design wheels in Platinum but this wasn’t possible, didn’t like the 5 arm Vesuvius grey option so opted for the silver ones, I was worried that this would not match the car well but was really pleased when I saw them in reality. If these are damaged badly I will just powder coat in platinum.

Just running in but so far, I love this car due to its great engine. The problem is that I had an extended test drive in a 911 992 Carrera and came away just smitten. Man maths in flow and was thinking about a new order which the latest price rise has now made much more difficult I think. I had never driven a 911 before and can now see their charm, it is the only car aside from a BMW E30 325i which I owned years ago that really made me feel connected to the road, lovely. However, I wonder if I would get tired of that noise, harsh ride and connected feeling when doing the usual things. On getting back into the Macan after the 911, I was struck how civilised the Macan was for 90% of my driving. Still can’t get the 911 out of my head…..

Negatives on new Macan:-
The glove box is not cooled any more, seriously?
Steering column manual adjustment, just pants
The jury is out on power steering plus, but this could be due to the thinner steering wheel, I miss the heavy feel of the normal steering
Not sure how I feel about the loss of buttons but the centre console is going to be a scratch magnet without ppf, looks very nice though
Telephone calls via Bose only playing through centre speaker, I wonder if this is a fault?

Positives:-
Air suspension feels less floaty than earlier generation
Engine has virtually no lag even at low revs on a trailing throttle, it’s always responsive. Test drive felt like more than 385 ponies were corralled
Car just feels more resolved, I think Porsche may have made minor suspension adjustments
Love the 14 way seats
Bose sounds good and the stereo now has decent low end response
Extended leather just makes the package complete IMO
PDK is just magic and seems even more intuitive, seems to read the road ahead, not sure if it is interfacing with google maps to enable this

IMG_5622.jpeg

IMG_5619.jpeg

IMG_5615.jpeg

IMG_5606.jpeg

IMG_5598.jpeg

IMG_5601.jpeg

20230413_162105.jpeg

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Everything about your car looks fab including the wheels. I love the Bordeaux with silver too.
Centre console is (surprisingly) not a scratch magnet but is a fingerprint magnet! 😳
Really nice car Ntense, enjoy 😊
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I only ever buy silver or white cars so love your colour combinations. :)
Macan S MY 2023
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Very classy, a nice colour combination.

The PDK is clever, but not so clever it reads the road ahead via Google maps. I think you’re feeling a new box that hasn’t yet learnt bad habits, which it will if only driven in Miss Daisy mode. A gearbox software reset will correct that though, as will spirited driving to a certain extent.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Kevthegas

Post by Kevthegas »

The Macan looks great in silver.
Nuclear Nick, can the pdk box be reset by the owner or does it have to be done by a dealer?
My Mk1 Gts is normally driven by my wife and it is a bit laggy?
I once did it to my daughters Polo dsg by pressing about 200 buttons in sequence !

Kev
2018 GTS
1993 968
1985 944
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

Looks lovely! I do like the silver and what you've specced looks like it ties in nicely all over. Great job.
Pippsy

Post by Pippsy »

That looks great! I saw a couple of silver ones in my OPC last week and they looked much better in the flesh then on the configurator.

I recognise your OPC - the missing red bit in the S gives it away. I wish they would fix that!
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Kevthegas wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:38 pm The Macan looks great in silver.
Nuclear Nick, can the pdk box be reset by the owner or does it have to be done by a dealer?
My Mk1 Gts is normally driven by my wife and it is a bit laggy?
I once did it to my daughters Polo dsg by pressing about 200 buttons in sequence !

Kev
Yes. It’s been covered a number of times on the forum. Take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=12619&hilit=PDK+reset&start=40

Let us know how you get on!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Screenshot_20230423_172439_Gallery.jpg

I've never tried it, but told it does work by another Macan owner that I know. As Nick says, let us know how you get on.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

Comprehensive review and stunning car! Dolomite really suits the Macan and those wheels are simple and beautiful too. When I test drove a Macan, it was a Gen2 S and then I ended up ordering a Gen3 S, and I must agree the engine upgrade is phenomenal!
Now: 2022 Macan S
Previous: BMW 320i, C class