Macan stolen!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

From the PCGB forum, Thursday:
"My Macan was Stolen at 3:30am this morning - Chuck a few AirTags in your car now....
Well, the Porsche tracking system was disabled by them, they lifted the back seats and unplugged the wires, but they did not count on an AirTag locating the car in Essex, which after a quick phone call to the police, was recovered intact and undamaged by 10am on the other side of London.

Anyone have any suggestions on security of the Macan, they seemed to make short work of the immobiliser and alarm, it did not even sound. I bought an elite Crook lock as a stopgap.

They seemed to get in and spent an hour in the car, leaving a couple of times. It is not keyless, one of the main reasons I bought it second hand. They must have been scoping it out as the false plates they put on it were from a blue Macan turbo of a similar age, if there is someone with a blue Macan reg WA16 N**, your plates are in use, I have them in my boot."

:o :o
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP

crockers

Post by crockers »

AirTags sounds a good idea.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I don’t think AirTags are designed for tracking cars. Apart from having to be within Bluetooth distance of another device to work, they would instantly show to the thief if they have an iPhone!
I’m very sceptical about this story, it reads more like trying to flog AirTags to me… 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
crockers

Post by crockers »

Just been reading about them. Air Tags don’t show up on any phone but yours. They use all Apple devices within Bluetooth range as a repeater without the owners knowing.
But
They play a noise if away from your phone after a time. Lol. So would need to be hidden in a sound proofed area. Do not maybe the best.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

My contribution: "This has blown away some of my sense of security, although its still only the second Porsche theft I've seen mentioned since joining the forums (PCGB & Macan) in 2019. David, might I ask where this happened?"

A: "Happened in Hampstead, NW London. When I spoke to my Porsche guy, he said they were flying off drives at the moment.

Still a bit shocked they managed to get round a non wireless key, very disturbing, and I have booked in a Ghost installation."

I don't "do" Apple and won't for this reason, may look at alternatives if this spreads north though!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

This from “Tracker team UK”

“As the thief will get a notification (if they have an iPhone) of being in range of a different AirTag. Triggering the need to search for it in the car. If it is hard to find then the noise will start emitting, making it much easier to find now.”

This is part of Apples solution to avoid stalking somebody by slipping one into a persons pocket to find where they live for instance. Apple are pretty clear with their own blurb as they say it’s not suitable as a car tracker.
Actually I think it would technically work but has too many flaws because it was not designed for this use. 🤷‍♂️
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Hmm concerning. I'm not in Hampstead but very nearby. My Macan is one of two on our street.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Don16

Post by Don16 »

crockers wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:09 am Just been reading about them. Air Tags don’t show up on any phone but yours. They use all Apple devices within Bluetooth range as a repeater without the owners knowing.
But
They play a noise if away from your phone after a time. Lol. So would need to be hidden in a sound proofed area. Do not maybe the best.
Most stolen cars are taken and then parked up somewhere for a week or 2 to make sure it's not being tracked still, before being moved on to final destination.
Don16

Post by Don16 »

If people are that concerned,then I would fit a second tracker in the car somewhere else.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Don16 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:46 am
crockers wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:09 am Just been reading about them. Air Tags don’t show up on any phone but yours. They use all Apple devices within Bluetooth range as a repeater without the owners knowing.
But
Most stolen cars are taken and then parked up somewhere for a week or 2 to make sure it's not being tracked still, before being moved on to final destination.

So I guess that we should all keep an eye out in our local neighbourhoods for unexpected/suspiciously parked up Porsches & other prestige cars... 🕵️‍♂️
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018