Windscreen washers

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

The car's washer reservoir is 3.5 litres.

Porsche winter concentrate (as shown above, £6 delivered) is 1 litre.

I would recommend a stronger mix than you might otherwise think is needed as the rear washer pipes are particularly exposed, wind chill being a factor.
The pipework has a pressure relief valve designed to literally blow off at 5 BAR pressure. As PGB regard this incident as being due to "external influences" i.e. cold, YOU are at fault, per Porsche GB, and it might cost you £1000 - £2000 to have this rectified.

But... some OPCs disagree with PGB and have argued with them that it's a design fault. Depending on your relationship with your OPC they may repair this FOC. Mine did so recently. To stand a better chance, use only Porsche washer additives. My OPC asked, and I had towed the line. I don't know how they would test for this but they may well be able to.

I'm now mixing 1:1 for the Midlands UK which protects down to -17C. Choose your mix wisely. Porsche's green washer fluid can still be mixed in with the winter concentrate as per your owner's handbook.

Protection levels below...

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 22.11.00.png

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

For about 8 years I’ve bulk bought the VAG screenwash that is safe to -70C undiluted. You can usually find a box containing 10l in 1l bottles for about £50 delivered on eBay. Since VAG own Porsche I’m sure it must be fine in the Macan - although it only mentions VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat on the label. It has the lowest freezing point of any washer fluid I’ve found, anyway, and has dilution details on each bottle.
Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPMPKF77
Audi S6 Avant
Suzuki Jimny
Mini Cooper
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I think anybody who accepts Porsche telling them they won’t fix an obvious fault because you didn’t use Porsche screenwash deserves everything they get! 😂😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Having just checked how much it now costs to buy the VW screenwash (£80+postage for 10l) I think it’d be cheaper to buy the Porsche winter stuff anyway 😄
Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPMPKF77
Audi S6 Avant
Suzuki Jimny
Mini Cooper
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Jon A wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:38 pm I think anybody who accepts Porsche telling them they won’t fix an obvious fault because you didn’t use Porsche screenwash deserves everything they get! 😂😂
Tell us more. Why do you think it wrong for a manufacturer to specify what should be used?
pmg

Post by pmg »

OPC's that include porsche summer screen wash even when a car is serviced in November do not have an answerable case. :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol:
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

DJMCUK wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:58 am
Jon A wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:38 pm I think anybody who accepts Porsche telling them they won’t fix an obvious fault because you didn’t use Porsche screenwash deserves everything they get! 😂😂
Tell us more. Why do you think it wrong for a manufacturer to specify what should be used?
I don’t. I think it’s wrong for a manufacturer to try and blame screenwash brand to avoid fixing a clear and obvious design fault. See threads last winter. 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
andreas

Post by andreas »

Jon A wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:40 pm

I don’t. I think it’s wrong for a manufacturer to try and blame screenwash brand to avoid fixing a clear and obvious design fault. See threads last winter. 👍
I agree, there's nothing magic about screenwash - it just needs to resist freezing. I buy Halfords Concentrate (about £10 for 5 litres) and it works perfectly.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Jon A wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:40 pm
DJMCUK wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:58 am
Ah, I get you. But when every time you want your OPC to fix something FOC where PGB say it's chargeable it overcomes the initial rebuttal when you can say "I only use Porsche additives" rather than "I just put Halfords stuff in it."

E.g. A Porsche engine smokes or leaks due to IMS/RMS/Bore scoring : Q. "What oil did you use to top up with?" A. "I put some Comma oil in, no idea what's in it though."

Knowing Porsche and how they approach things I prefer not to rock the boat whilst under warranty. Just saves an argument, and a £1,400+VAT washer pipe repair bill when they say "ah, you shouldn't have used that" and I then have to take them court for "an obvious design fault" and leave it to the judge on the day to decide.
andreas

Post by andreas »

DJMCUK wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:27 pm ...and I then have to take them court for "an obvious design fault" and leave it to the judge on the day to decide.
I wish someone would!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)