Parking Macan S into a very tight garage opening

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Davecoops

Post by Davecoops »

Morning Guys,
I’m new to this forum , and I’m considering purchasing a 2022 Macan S but my garage opening is very tight and would require the wing mirrors to be folded.
My question is, will the surround view cameras in the wing mirrors still work when folded, and how accurate/reliable is the system for this type of issue?
Any advice very much appreciated 👍

Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

They do still work when the mirrors are folded but you get a very strange view on the screen. The cameras are pretty accurate but not perfect. One issue is the height. I nearly reversed into a park bench because the arms were slightly higher than the rear camera and parking sensors.
andreas

Post by andreas »

I don't think the view you'd get with the mirrors folded would be much help. Do you really need to garage it?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Davecoops

Post by Davecoops »

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of maybe just folding the mirrors to get past the opening brick work then opening them up as I get through.
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Davecoops wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:48 am Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of maybe just folding the mirrors to get past the opening brick work then opening them up as I get through.

Yes, I do that!

Not that I garage it very often.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

Just did a quick test for you and it certainly does give you a strange view but it is better than nothing and once you get used to it it might be OK. and if it is only to get through the doorway it should be fine.

Jim

01c.jpg

02c.jpg

SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

I have a similar scenario with a double garage. The surround camera is good for lining the car up with the edge of the drive. The #1 precaution I take is, before putting the car through the door aperture, get out, go to the rear and look along the side of the car to line it up with the post and ensure there’s enough space to clear the body. The mirror has to be folded in. It can be folded out to check the rear of the car once the mirror is past the door post.

#2 precaution is to have a tall mirror at the rear of the garage lined up down one side of the car so you can check the gap between car and garage door post and also the walls. The mirror is great and works well in daylight but not at night when the marker lights are too bright to see it.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

My garage opening is very tight too. I have cut out a mirror sized section from either side of the door frame which allows me to use the mirrors for reversing in. I then fold in the mirrors for driving out.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

ScotMac wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:33 pm My garage opening is very tight too. I have cut out a mirror sized section from either side of the door frame which allows me to use the mirrors for reversing in. I then fold in the mirrors for driving out.
😂😂 priceless.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
pmg

Post by pmg »

Davecoops wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:48 am Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of maybe just folding the mirrors to get past the opening brick work then opening them up as I get through.
I would get half way in before folding mirrors then you will see the lines for the initial entry.

My garage entry leaves about a centimetre either side of the mirror and suurround view is boom even for that.

With the increase crime due in the coming recession, many who do not garage cars will regret their practice.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8