Macan Turbo PP

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JC27

Post by JC27 »

Morning All,

I’m new to the forum and wanted to ask for a bit of real consumer advice from actual Macan owners.

Bit of a background, I’ve previously owned a 991 Carerra 4S, an F10 M5 and an RS3 new with my own spec. Times were strange during COVID and I ended up settling with a Golf GTI Performance which I’ve had for 3 years, but I’ve recently had more time to save and focus on my family and I’m now in the market for a bigger car to satisfy the needs of my family and kids but something to also satisfy the petrolhead in me.

I recently had a look at a 2017 Porsche Macan Turbo Performance Package which seems to have excellent residual values. I usually always PCP finance my vehicles as I change them often but I’ll probably be looking to keep this one throughout the period of the agreement and beyond.

In comparison I had a look at a Macan GTS and a Macan S and the residual values in them with 3 different finance lenders are worse than an SQ5!! The only Macan I could get to a somewhat decent figure was the Turbo Performance.

On that note, I have also looked at the SQ5 and that seems to have an appealing package also whilst working well financially. My main questions are;

1) Has anyone here owned both an SQ5 and a Macan Turbo and do you have an honest opinion on the everyday usability of these cars?

2) Its not my first rodeo with expensive to run cars as mentioned above, but part of the reason I sold my M5 was due to it costing hundreds a week to fill up. I don’t do a lot of motorway miles and I understand both cars are heavy but can you actually achieve a reasonable mpg/fuel economy out of the Macan Turbo with somewhat sensible driving? The M5 was a 2 ton car but with a twin turbo V8 in it and I was pulling 16-17mpg most days on that. I’d like to think the Macan could better that even if slightly.

3) I have read countless times the residuals on Macan models are good, but so far as I mentioned above, the only one that has come out better than a SQ5 is the Porsche Turbo PP. Could this be due to Porsches electric only drive for the future?

Appreciate all comments and thoughts!

Cheers

BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Just my personal opinion and I don’t know your circumstances.

I wouldn’t pcp a Macan as they depreciation is so good. There have been reports pre the covid second hand car boom that the Macan was the slowest depreciating vehicle(by %) in the whole country. Therefore I’d consider ‘buying it’ with a cheap loan especially in the current climate where very few new Macans are being made so second hand values are sky high. My 6month old Macan is currently worth about 110-120% of the price I paid for it new including the OTR taxes.

As for comparisons there are a load of YouTube videos that compare them - just make sure you get one with the right generations.

Lastly you don’t buy anything but a diesel Macan for MPG. Expect somewhere around 20mpg depending on driving style for a Macan turbo. My Gen3 S has achieved 24mpg so far which for a Macan is ‘good’.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

I have a standard Turbo and it is a great car, so much so that I have had mine since 2016.

Turbo PP’s are quite rare but I have driven one at the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone during a Promo day there that I was invited to.

The Turbo PP felt so much quicker than my Turbo and the handling a bit better as it shares the same setup as a GTS so what is there not to love about it.

The Turbo models are pretty well fitted as standard so desirable options can be restricted or ott.

The new GTS has a different engine but the same power output so perhaps a test drive of one of these can help you decide.

Good luck in your choice.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

BanZ wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:01 pm Just my personal opinion and I don’t know your circumstances.

I wouldn’t pcp a Macan as they depreciation is so good. There have been reports pre the covid second hand car boom that the Macan was the slowest depreciating vehicle(by %) in the whole country. Therefore I’d consider ‘buying it’ with a cheap loan especially in the current climate where very few new Macans are being made so second hand values are sky high. My 6month old Macan is currently worth about 110-120% of the price I paid for it new including the OTR taxes.

As for comparisons there are a load of YouTube videos that compare them - just make sure you get one with the right generations.

Lastly you don’t buy anything but a diesel Macan for MPG. Expect somewhere around 20mpg depending on driving style for a Macan turbo. My Gen3 S has achieved 24mpg so far which for a Macan is ‘good’.
First 1200 miles in my GTS and averaged 26.6MPG. Have a long motorway journey on the continent coming up soon so will be interesting to see how this figure changes, if at all.
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
JC27

Post by JC27 »

BanZ wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:01 pm Just my personal opinion and I don’t know your circumstances.

Cheers for your reply. I’d love to be in a position to be able to do a bank loan or even buy it outright but sadly a PCP in this instance is really only the best option for me financially at the moment.

I’m not so fussed around the MPG, I know full well what to expect with a petrol V6 SUV but I know VAG tech like engine cut off and early gear changing to lower the rev range saves fuel so wanted to know if it could at least manage better than my M5. 24mpg isn’t bad all things considered.

Col Lamb wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:42 pm Welcome.

I have a standard Turbo and it is a great car, so much so that I have had mine since 2016.

Turbo PP’s are quite rare but I have driven one at the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone during a Promo day there that I was invited to.

The Turbo PP felt so much quicker than my Turbo and the handling a bit better as it shares the same setup as a GTS so what is there not to love about it.

The Turbo models are pretty well fitted as standard so desirable options can be restricted or ott.

The new GTS has a different engine but the same power output so perhaps a test drive of one of these can help you decide.

Good luck in your choice.
Hi Col, cheers for the reply.

My biggest issue with the GTS is that is seemingly has worse residual values than an SQ5 for reasons unknown. The Turbo/Turbo Performance were the only Porsche Macan models that absolutely aced the finance on a PCP agreement. I’m fact the expected residual value is one of the best I have ever seen on a car that…from what I’m looking at, is 5 years old!

Whilst it’s ridiculous to ask, it’s still a pivotal point to
consider. What is your fuel economy like on the Turbo? Reaching at least 24mpg average?
JC27

Post by JC27 »

PorscheMack wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:02 pm

First 1200 miles in my GTS and averaged 26.6MPG. Have a long motorway journey on the continent coming up soon so will be interesting to see how this figure changes, if at all.
Hi Mack, cheers for your reply.

26.6 average isn’t bad at all! Most likely subtle driving for running in I guess? I’d also be interested, could you let us know what you achieve? How are you finding owning the GTS? Any drawbacks to ownership? I know it’s an amazing car having test driven both but I’m always interested more to hear peoples negative points on owning the car rather than how amazing it is.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

FYI on 10k mpa the extra cost of 20mpg v 25mpg is 100gallons or £730 assuming £1.60 per litre.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

JC27 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:56 pm
PorscheMack wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:02 pm

Hi Mack, cheers for your reply.

26.6 average isn’t bad at all! Most likely subtle driving for running in I guess? I’d also be interested, could you let us know what you achieve? How are you finding owning the GTS? Any drawbacks to ownership? I know it’s an amazing car having test driven both but I’m always interested more to hear peoples negative points on owning the car rather than how amazing it is.
I'm actually starting to appreciate more now as it so reminds me of the SQ5 3.0 TDI 2015 I had from new back in 2015. I only kept that for 18 months (no reflection on how good it was, I just wanted to get away from diesel) and moved into a Merc C43 3.0 Wagon which was a noisy in-your-face type of car; hardly subtle, but hey that's what AMG are good at :lol: The Macan is a big solid lump with adequate power and sophistication and covers most driving requirements from performance to haulage. I often find that you tend to measure a new car against your previous car which can muddy the waters. One annoying problem at the moment is that I have a rattle coming from the tailgate which my OPC said could be the tailgate lock so they've ordered a new one.....
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:09 pm FYI on 10k mpa the extra cost of 20mpg v 25mpg is 100gallons or £730 assuming £1.60 per litre.
I previously had a Merc GLC 2.0 petrol and after around 20k miles recorded 29.7MPG. So if I can stick at around 27MPG for 20k miles in my Macan I won't be disappointed.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Not sure where you are getting your figures from, but the GTS version of any Porsche is usually the slowest depreciating model. The Turbo PP is mostly a standard turbo with GTS running gear and seats, so why not just buy a GTS. However, the turbo PP is an awesome car, so crack on and enjoy!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.