Ceramic coating - first wash

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
TK421

Post by TK421 »

It’s this one. xDrive version. I know, no B58 but point to point it’s a far more complaint ride and arguably quicker. Also achieved 42mpg on the motorway run home at ‘motorway’ speeds, plus the tech is plucked straight out of the X5/ 8 series etc. do love the new BM’s. Really on point and the best OS on the market. In my opinion of course.

In fairness I should of looked at the new M240i, I’ll
More than likely chop This one in when the new M2 comes out 22/23? as that is going to be a proper menace of a car.

80A71FFE-3D25-4BC4-A013-3A42CFF8D66C.jpeg

23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

The final Hurrah http://www.porsche-code.com/PRSB8KW7

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

V nice motor TK 👍
The Mrs loves hers but most of that is the B58 and all the drama it creates. I will say that hers is six years old now and there was no “running in” and no special oil services or “waiting for it to warm up” etc etc. - she just gets in it, starts it and drives (briskly) whether short or long journeys. It’s never missed a beat and is a fabulous bit of engineering 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
TK421

Post by TK421 »

Jon A wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:51 pm V nice motor TK 👍
The Mrs loves hers but most of that is the B58 and all the drama it creates. I will say that hers is six years old now and there was no “running in” and no special oil services or “waiting for it to warm up” etc etc. - she just gets in it, starts it and drives (briskly) whether short or long journeys. It’s never missed a beat and is a fabulous bit of engineering 👍
Thank you sir. It’s good fun with its pops and crackles as well. Loved the M50d, but this is so nimble. Nice contrast and made me appreciate what a smaller vehicle offers over the quad turbo stately home on wheels.

I recently watched a review of the new M240i 2022, it did 0-60 in 3.8! Incredible. Imagine what the new M2 will do!
23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

TK421 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:06 pm
PorscheMack wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:52 pm Wouldn't a periodic coat of a decent wax eg Bilt Hamber Double Wax give sufficient protection/finish tho at a fraction of the cost? 🤔
Or any quality carnauba based wax. That’s why paint has a clear coat to protect the base.
The issues with ceramic coatings are water spotting and also scratching up, which involves a further application. Each to his own. They certainly have a great margin.
I’m ok with hand washing, waxing and maintaining my paint work. It’s what I’ve always done since a lad.
Bilt Hamber product line is most certainly on point. I also use RUPES kit, in particular the UNO protect which is a one stop paint correction and protector/sealant . Currently getting over 6 months from one application, easy enough to apply and costs £20 for a litre which by my reckoning will do 10 cars easily. YMMV.
Can you apply the Rupes UNO on a cloth by hand (aka wax) or do you need some fancy pads?
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
TK421

Post by TK421 »

PorscheMack wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:48 pm
PorscheMack wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:52 pm Wouldn't a periodic coat of a decent wax eg Bilt Hamber Double Wax give sufficient protection/finish tho at a fraction of the cost? 🤔
Or any quality carnauba based wax. That’s why paint has a clear coat to protect the base.
The issues with ceramic coatings are water spotting and also scratching up, which involves a further application. Each to his own. They certainly have a great margin.
I’m ok with hand washing, waxing and maintaining my paint work. It’s what I’ve always done since a lad.
Bilt Hamber product line is most certainly on point. I also use RUPES kit, in particular the UNO protect which is a one stop paint correction and protector/sealant . Currently getting over 6 months from one application, easy enough to apply and costs £20 for a litre which by my reckoning will do 10 cars easily. YMMV.
Can you apply the Rupes UNO on a cloth by hand (aka wax) or do you need some fancy pads?
I guess you could just to get the sealant effect, but it’s really a machine polish application as it corrects first (depending on pad used) then as it breaks down it polished then it’s left on for 20 mins and buffed off.

So with hand application you’d only be using 50% of what it’s capable of. Which in fairness is still blooming good. Loads on you tube about this particular product, what we call an all in one product. By varying the pads, foam, wool or micro fibre it adjusts the cutting level of the compound. RUPES makes some of the best compounds in the business. The polishers are top notch also. The reality is For the cost of a ceramic application or a full detail you could buy a pretty decent RUPES setup and have it for years to come.
23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

TK421 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:56 pm

I guess you could just to get the sealant effect, but it’s really a machine polish application as it corrects first (depending on pad used) then as it breaks down it polished then it’s left on for 20 mins and buffed off.

So with hand application you’d only be using 50% of what it’s capable of. Which in fairness is still blooming good. Loads on you tube about this particular product, what we call an all in one product. By varying the pads, foam, wool or micro fibre it adjusts the cutting level of the compound. RUPES makes some of the best compounds in the business. The polishers are top notch also. The reality is For the cost of a ceramic application or a full detail you could buy a pretty decent RUPES setup and have it for years to come.
👍
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Jon A wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:47 pm
I think I agree on the wax/polish point and would certainly be cheaper. Just to be clear my choice to have a coating was based mostly on the ease of cleaning it provides I.e not having to wax or polish as I don’t enjoy that part of car care.
I can confirm it was very easy to wash and the finish is fantastic afterwards but an expensive way of doing it for sure.
I had the ceramic coat exactly for this reason. I hate washing cars as I’m OCD, I end up spending the whole day until I’m satisfied. With the ceramic coat a quick snow foam and it looks decent again, then I can spend time doing other things that I like doing.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
TK421

Post by TK421 »

Kleynie wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:37 pm
Jon A wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:47 pm

I think I agree on the wax/polish point and would certainly be cheaper. Just to be clear my choice to have a coating was based mostly on the ease of cleaning it provides I.e not having to wax or polish as I don’t enjoy that part of car care.
I can confirm it was very easy to wash and the finish is fantastic afterwards but an expensive way of doing it for sure.
I had the ceramic coat exactly for this reason. I hate washing cars as I’m OCD, I end up spending the whole day until I’m satisfied. With the ceramic coat a quick snow foam and it looks decent again, then I can spend time doing other things that I like doing.
In fairness it’s exactly the same process for a paint with sealant except you don’t have to use a top Up like with a ceramic. Quick snow foam, rinse and job done.
23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

TK421

Post by TK421 »

PorscheMack wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:59 pm

👍
Mack, just had a thought, have a look at Collinite 845 insulator wax, lasts for ages as a tiny amount goes a long way, and the protection it puts on the paintwork is incredible. I still use this and was one of my first go to wax’s. Beading is insane and protection lasts for 6 months plus (up to 12 months if cared for) . Mega easy to apply by hand, doesn’t white up all the rubbers either. The background chemistry is it was developed to stop muck/dust build up on pylon electrodes or something like that. Very good stuff, great gloss and finish, quick rinse off and top up with a good quality detailing spray after washing, something like chem guys speed wipe. ;)
It was my end of season wax, just after summer, in to autumn I’d apply this wax and it would see me through to spring.
476s double coat is another by the same company, but harder to work with, but longer lasting.
23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

TK421 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:16 am
PorscheMack wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:59 pm

👍
Mack, just had a thought, have a look at Collinite 845 insulator wax, lasts for ages as a tiny amount goes a long way, and the protection it puts on the paintwork is incredible. I still use this and was one of my first go to wax’s. Beading is insane and protection lasts for 6 months plus (up to 12 months if cared for) . Mega easy to apply by hand, doesn’t white up all the rubbers either. The background chemistry is it was developed to stop muck/dust build up on pylon electrodes or something like that. Very good stuff, great gloss and finish, quick rinse off and top up with a good quality detailing spray after washing, something like chem guys speed wipe. ;)
It was my end of season wax, just after summer, in to autumn I’d apply this wax and it would see me through to spring.
476s double coat is another by the same company, but harder to work with, but longer lasting.
👍 👌👍👌