Ceramic coating - first wash

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

Definitely try the snow foam first as suggested by others and as the video suggests.

‘Foaming’ or lack of it isn’t necessarily meaning it’s not doing it’s job just as much as ‘suds’ don’t necessarily mean your shampoo isn’t doing it’s job.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Snow Foam consistency varies with the applied pressure of the power washer.

Snow Foam - mix it as per the instructions, apply it to a dry car.

Look at buying a Race Tech water filter and a measuring tool to ensure you change the resin when the efficacy of the resin has reduced.

See the thread

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5106&hilit=Washing+and+detailing
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
andreas

Post by andreas »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:59 pm

Look at buying a Race Tech water filter and a measuring tool to ensure you change the resin when the efficacy of the resin has reduced.
This is good advice. I used resin-filtered water to rinse the car, and can just leave it to dry itself, even in bright sunshine. The less you touch the paint, the longer it'll stay beautiful.

As an aside, once you've got a resin filter, you can also use the water to clean the windows of your house. I bought a rechargeable battery-powered window cleaning kit with a fibreglass pole and brush, just like the professionals use, and it works well. Some people might even use their purchase of the window cleaning kit to help justify getting a resin filter for the car!

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/p ... bre-bundle
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
TK421

Post by TK421 »

andreas wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:21 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:59 pm

This is good advice. I used resin-filtered water to rinse the car, and can just leave it to dry itself, even in bright sunshine. The less you touch the paint, the longer it'll stay beautiful.

As an aside, once you've got a resin filter, you can also use the water to clean the windows of your house. I bought a rechargeable battery-powered window cleaning kit with a fibreglass pole and brush, just like the professionals use, and it works well. Some people might even use their purchase of the window cleaning kit to help justify getting a resin filter for the car!

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/p ... bre-bundle
Exactly the same as I have, grab the water test meter as well. Even on black paint left to dry in the sun, zero water spots!
23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

The final Hurrah http://www.porsche-code.com/PRSB8KW7
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

After five+ years mine still looks pretty good.

But

Water spots can still form, not due to washing but due to rainwater being left on the car.

Mine has had them following long periods when I have not been fit enough to wash the car but a couple of hours with a water spot remover, a wash and dry and then a Quick Detail spray and polish and its good as new.

The Race Glaze 25 litre is the one I use

3EE0A634-4572-4F11-9031-A5F0906C0C07.jpeg

I did use another make initially but they did not last as long and were disposable whereas the Race Glaze is refillable.

Do go for the 25 litre version in the long term it is far less hassle.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Wouldn't a periodic coat of a decent wax eg Bilt Hamber Double Wax give sufficient protection/finish tho at a fraction of the cost? 🤔
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
TK421

Post by TK421 »

PorscheMack wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:52 pm Wouldn't a periodic coat of a decent wax eg Bilt Hamber Double Wax give sufficient protection/finish tho at a fraction of the cost? 🤔
Or any quality carnauba based wax. That’s why paint has a clear coat to protect the base.
The issues with ceramic coatings are water spotting and also scratching up, which involves a further application. Each to his own. They certainly have a great margin.
I’m ok with hand washing, waxing and maintaining my paint work. It’s what I’ve always done since a lad.
Bilt Hamber product line is most certainly on point. I also use RUPES kit, in particular the UNO protect which is a one stop paint correction and protector/sealant . Currently getting over 6 months from one application, easy enough to apply and costs £20 for a litre which by my reckoning will do 10 cars easily. YMMV.
23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

TK421 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:06 pm
PorscheMack wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:52 pm Wouldn't a periodic coat of a decent wax eg Bilt Hamber Double Wax give sufficient protection/finish tho at a fraction of the cost? 🤔
Or any quality carnauba based wax. That’s why paint has a clear coat to protect the base.
The issues with ceramic coatings are water spotting and also scratching up, which involves a further application. Each to his own. They certainly have a great margin.
I’m ok with hand washing, waxing and maintaining my paint work. It’s what I’ve always done since a lad.
Bilt Hamber product line is most certainly on point. I also use RUPES kit, in particular the UNO protect which is a one stop paint correction and protector/sealant . Currently getting over 6 months from one application, easy enough to apply and costs £20 for a litre which by my reckoning will do 10 cars easily. YMMV.
I think I agree on the wax/polish point and would certainly be cheaper. Just to be clear my choice to have a coating was based mostly on the ease of cleaning it provides I.e not having to wax or polish as I don’t enjoy that part of car care.
I can confirm it was very easy to wash and the finish is fantastic afterwards but an expensive way of doing it for sure.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
TK421

Post by TK421 »

Jon A wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:47 pm
I think I agree on the wax/polish point and would certainly be cheaper. Just to be clear my choice to have a coating was based mostly on the ease of cleaning it provides I.e not having to wax or polish as I don’t enjoy that part of car care.
I can confirm it was very easy to wash and the finish is fantastic afterwards but an expensive way of doing it for sure.
Totally understand this. In fairness I think that’s who the ceramic coatings manufacturers/dealerships/installers are targeted at.

I would also argue that a well waxed/sealed car will bead as well if not better if maintained (PH neutral wash and winter wax top up) than a ceramic coating, plus is far less hassle in the long run and cheaper. But each to his own.

For me the cleaning it’s all part of the ownership.
I sold the M50D yesterday, phone was ringing of the hook with people wanted to make daft offers and come and see it. Ended up going to a trader for really strong money, when he turned up to see it he was shocked at how well kept it was and stated his go to detailing guy doesn’t produce work like this. Every single car I’ve ever owned and then gone on to sell has been the same. They genuinely look better than when they left the showroom after I’ve finished with them. For me I take great satisfaction in the cleaning and caring and standing back after a days graft on the car and admiring it. I do it for the love of cars.

Just purchased an M135i as a stop gap whilst waiting for the Macan GTS, I’ll probably end up keeping it to be fair, misses already loves it. Spent a day on it today doing some spot corrections, still a lot to do with it but already really pleased.

45002554-A058-48E9-B22E-F9C046C6BED6.jpeg

Last edited by TK421 on Mon May 02, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

TK421 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:08 pm
Jon A wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:47 pm

Totally understand this. In fairness I think that’s who the ceramic coatings manufacturers/dealerships/installers are targeted at.

For me the cleaning it’s all part of the ownership.
I sold the M50D yesterday, phone was ringing of the hook with people wanted to make daft offers and come and see it. Ended up going to a trader in the end for really strong money, when he turned up to see it he was shocked at how well kept it was and stated his go to detailing guy doesn’t produce work like this. Every single car I’ve ever owned and then gone on to sell has been the same. They genuinely look better than when they left the showroom after I’ve finished with them. For me I take great satisfaction in the cleaning and caring and standing back after a days graft on the car and admiring it. I do it for the love of cars.

Just purchased an M135i as a stop gap whilst waiting for the Macan GTS, I’ll probably end up keeping it to be fair, misses already loves it. Spent a day on it today doing so spot corrections, still a lot to do with it but already pleased.
Wow, I admire your skills on this! Just to blow your mind further, I won’t be opening the bonnet until it needs screen wash or an oil top up either! 😂
Seriously though, I don’t mind doing a proper wash and hoover and I do like the car to be clean, but I’m never going to be bothered by a fingerprint here and there or brake dust build up etc I just clean as and when time allows.
Actually what bothers me most is the interior, I can’t drive it unless all is clean and tidy on the inside.
Anyway, so far so good, it’s clean and it seems very shiny so happy bunny 😂
Is the 135 the two litre or the three litre predecessor? My wife has the M240i cabriolet and it is an awesome car with such a superb engine.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0