A Polish, a set of wee wheels and a road trip

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Stevie171

Post by Stevie171 »

About a month ago I bought my first Porsche. The 2017 Macan S Diesel with 32,000 miles.

Until it was pointed out on here I didn't realise the car had upgraded wheels.... 20" Gen 2 Turbo alloys no less.

I almost instantly decided that I was going to take the car on a road trip from Belfast to the Highlands of Scotland. Something of an annual pilgrimage and a trip I usually do on the motorbike.
The only thing I was worried about was how the 20" wheels would perform as a large percentage of the trip would be on single track roads.
So I bit the bullet and decided function over fashion was the best way forward and sourced a second hand set of 18" wheels which were shod in my favourite tyres... the Michelin Cross Climate all season tyre. I have had them before and was really happy with them. (I know they are not Porsche rated tyres, but the car is out of warranty and they make me happy).

Last thing to do was to polish the car then photograph it in all it's glory before removal of the big wheels.

05b2ce96-eaf7-4c61-8906-3110f23f8dd8.jpg

That evening I cleaned and fitted the 'poverty' wheels. They didn't look too bad, but by heck they transformed the ride...... for the better.

IMG_9019.jpg

One slight problem. Even though they are fitted with Porsche TPMS, the car is still failing to calibrate with them. A 1000 miles in and still the same. I have tried setting the computer to a different size then later changing back to the correct size. No change.

Any advice on this?

So the road trip was just that. Loads of miles enjoying my new car on some of my favourite roads. 5 nights and about 950 miles. No more than 40 miles of it was motorway and 100's of miles on single track. excuse my editing skills, but below is a rough idea of the stop offs each night. Campbeltown, Fort William, Nairn, Bettyhill and Ballachulish.

IMG_9110.jpg

The car performed amazingly well. It felt luxurious and sure footed. And the biggest shock of all was the fuel consumption. Almost 45mpg over 950 miles

IMG_9111.jpg

On the last day of the trip, it returned 49.3mpg over 170 miles.

Today it's back to the real world. And the car needs a wash.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Glad you enjoyed the car and the trip.

Your mpg shows that it does take a while for the engine to return an expected economy, even allowing for error of the system over 40 is in my book pretty good going.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

It also shows how the smaller wheels make a massive difference to the MPG. The 21" look great but they really hurt the MPG.

Great picture by the way!
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

What an excellent trip. I'd love to be able to find the time to do that. Good MPG also. My SD is around 40mpg with the 21' Turbo wheels. I also have a set of 18' winter wheels but have never fitted them. Interesting observation that 21" wheels have a negative effect on MPG.
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Lovely looking Macan 👍

What a great run. Campbeltown is a good run :D :D
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Almost NC500'ish? We did that a couple of years ago, clockwise. Unfortunately the weather was poor so the best views were obscured but there were still some good roads to enjoy and things to see and do. The hotels were expensive though, I think there's maybe an 'NC500 Premium'!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Stevie171

Post by Stevie171 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:15 am Almost NC500'ish? We did that a couple of years ago, clockwise. Unfortunately the weather was poor so the best views were obscured but there were still some good roads to enjoy and things to see and do. The hotels were expensive though, I think there's maybe an 'NC500 Premium'!
Nick, I have been doing the West coast several times a year for the past 20 odd years on my bike, long before the NC500 was given a name.
Great roads and some of the best ones aren't actually on the NC500 route.

But you hit the nail on the head regarding hotels....... they really have jumped up in price, probably doubled in the past 5 years. Also availability is almost non existent, even at this time of year.

I was lucky to get a couple of cracking deals due to last minute cancellations and me only booking a night or 2 before. I wouldn't dare take the chance in summer season.
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

That looks like a cracking road trip. Are you able to publish it in a little more detail?

I've always wanted to do the NC500 but worried that it would be like some sort of procession as everyone follows exactly the same route.
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)