Standard Sound System?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

My Gen1 base system isn’t exactly powerful, no thumping bass here. However it’s more than loud enough to not need the iPhone volume on max. The sound quality is good enough that my ageing ears can still hear piano foot pedals moving in their felt slides , even with compressed format files.

I guess if you like heavy metal it’s not the system for you

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I went for the Burmeister without managing to listen to one in a Macan, so I hope it doesn't disappoint! I managed to have a quick listen to the system in a 911 they had in the showroom, so if anything the Macan should be better as it's a bigger cabin with more speakers.

I love music and listen to it all the time in the car so a proper sound system is a must. With lower quality stuff I find myself turning it up to get any bass and 'feel' from the music, which isn't great for my ears! I like everything from classic rock to heavy metal, so really struggle to get much out of a basic system. I'm pretty spoiled in that I have high end hi fi/surround systems and headphones at home, so I've just got used to music always being really good quality. The demo car I had before ordering mine had the Bose system and I really wasn't impressed, certainly not to pay £800 for it. My previous JLR cars were the same, the first level Meridian for ~£800 was still fairly average, whereas the £5k full beans Meridian system is absolutely amazing and worth every penny.

Doesn't look like many people at all spec the Burmeister in the Macan so I'll report back when I finally get the car.
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Wotsits wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:15 pm I went for the Burmeister without managing to listen to one in a Macan, so I hope it doesn't disappoint! I managed to have a quick listen to the system in a 911 they had in the showroom, so if anything the Macan should be better as it's a bigger cabin with more speakers.

I love music and listen to it all the time in the car so a proper sound system is a must. With lower quality stuff I find myself turning it up to get any bass and 'feel' from the music, which isn't great for my ears! I like everything from classic rock to heavy metal, so really struggle to get much out of a basic system. I'm pretty spoiled in that I have high end hi fi/surround systems and headphones at home, so I've just got used to music always being really good quality. The demo car I had before ordering mine had the Bose system and I really wasn't impressed, certainly not to pay £800 for it. My previous JLR cars were the same, the first level Meridian for ~£800 was still fairly average, whereas the £5k full beans Meridian system is absolutely amazing and worth every penny.

Doesn't look like many people at all spec the Burmeister in the Macan so I'll report back when I finally get the car.
I’ve said elsewhere that I think Bose should be the minimum entry point on a Macan ( as it is in some parts of the world ), and that if you can afford it and intend keeping the Macan for a while you should probably go for the Axminster system.

This is very different to my comments before buying a macan when I didn’t know just how poor the base system is. It has grown on me a bit but it can still be massively outpaced from £150 of gear thrown together from Halfords. I think this is another case of Porsche knowing their cars sell on the badge alone so they don’t care about spending money on other things.

I think you’re right to spec the Axminster ( yes, I know ) and would love to hear one in the wild.
CKMAC

Post by CKMAC »

My current Gen 1 GTS has Bose and I can tell the difference when sittinng at the front and the back.

I have tried Bose for a Gen 3 S and I can only tell the difference when sitting at the back. Very strange!

So, I am not going to spec Bose for my Gen 3 S order.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I thought the standard was great in my S. I had Bose in a Cayenne I had for a few months and I really didn’t think there was much between them.
The standard system in the Boxster however is awful and had to get it sound dampened. This improved things no end.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

Had a Taycan for a test drive with Burmeister. Wow - the difference is noticeable. Would I pay the premium - no.
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

For me it’s burmester or standard.

So I always go with standard, can’t justify £3k for a sound system.

Ive had Bose on previous macan and just can’t tell the difference between standard and Bose, it’s so marginal that I wouldn’t bother.

Plus I listen to music on average volume level and to my ears I really can’t appreciate the difference to spend £900 on it.
Last edited by sd1985 on Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Strange.

Many here baulk at spending extra on a sound system upgrade yet spend thousands on Bling.

To each there own.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:03 pm Strange.

Many here baulk at spending extra on a sound system upgrade yet spend thousands on Bling.

To each there own.
I have no issue spending money on a sound system, but only if I felt it was an upgrade on the standard speakers. I don’t believe the Bose system is.
Burmester - that’s when I’ve been able to tell the difference, but I’d never spec it.

I listen to music on low volume and not often, with kids it’s normally cocomelon or Disney music, why on earth would I spend £900!
crockers

Post by crockers »

My T had standard the S has Bose. I find the Bose has sharper clarity at softer volumes.