Tweet from Andrew Frankel auto journalist tonight

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

pmg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:24 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:09 pm It shows how good Porsche Engineers are yet all Audi Engineers do is stick in a large engine, put it stiff roll bars and springs and call it an RS with all the brain numbing effect of a harsh ride
And judging by the comparative reviews of Audi Etron GT and Taycan models Audi cannot deliver the same degree of driving pleasure when given it at the start. ;) ;) ;)
Yes - have read the reviews, which are pretty clear about which is the better car, despite the shared components.
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)

Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:09 pm It shows how good Porsche Engineers are yet all Audi Engineers do is stick in a large engine, put it stiff roll bars and springs and call it an RS with all the brain numbing effect of a harsh ride
Its a good job we all like different things as I'll take my RS4 over a Macan any day thanks - faster, more economical, more space, perfectly acceptable ride, doesnt look like I am trying too hard as to most people its just an Audi....

But maybe the ride has numbed my brain ;)
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Isleaiw wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:26 pm
Its a good job we all like different things as I'll take my RS4 over a Macan any day thanks - faster, more economical, more space, perfectly acceptable ride, doesnt look like I am trying too hard as to most people its just an Audi....

I’ve always liked the look of an RS4 Avant and just had a quick look at What Car to get a view on it - I was shocked to see that it gets just two stars!
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a rating so low and yet the write up is largely positive. It seems the suspension is the culprit but not in the way you might think 🤔
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

I do love an RS4 but their attractiveness to thieves and their low residuals meant it wasn't a car for me. The new ones cost more once you've added a few key options than a well specced Macan GTS.

Shame, because they look fantastic,
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Must be a B9 then. Had a B8. It looked and sounded great but the Macan rides WAAAY better and steers better than the RS ever did. I did think the B9 whilst having lost the V8 was a better drive, quicker too
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Jon A wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:49 pm

I’ve always liked the look of an RS4 Avant and just had a quick look at What Car to get a view on it - I was shocked to see that it gets just two stars!
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a rating so low and yet the write up is largely positive. It seems the suspension is the culprit but not in the way you might think 🤔
Nobody else rates it so low, and frankly I reckon what car award based on who pays them most for advertising these days...
And as always its what works for the individual, I had an M5 before this (F90) and an SQ5 before that and would say the RS has better ride than both (SQ5 was on 21s)
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Plyphon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:57 pm I do love an RS4 but their attractiveness to thieves and their low residuals meant it wasn't a car for me. The new ones cost more once you've added a few key options than a well specced Macan GTS.

£30k depreciation on mine over 4 years and 32k miles according to the GFV (that's between what I paid and GFV). I'm happy to live with that....

The only cars that seem to get nicked round me are SUVs (RRS, Audi SQ7 most recent).... As my neighbour has an RRS SVR, I think I am pretty safe with it - but if not, its insured with GAP so nothing to worry about.

Cost more - list price or what you pay? Mine (Carbon Black edition, Comfort and Sound, sports exhaust, red calipers, metallic - no pan roof as I dont like them!) was less than a decent specced S when I bought it 15 months ago....

And there is room for the dog in the boot and she can manage the jump up (when I say room for dog, I mean in a crate and with room for luggage next to it!) And given 80% of my driving is carrying the dog, if she is happy I am happy.....
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Madelvic wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:48 pm

Must be a B9 then. Had a B8. It looked and sounded great but the Macan rides WAAAY better and steers better than the RS ever did. I did think the B9 whilst having lost the V8 was a better drive, quicker too
B9.5. And yes may not sound as good as the V8, but drives way better, and you dont need a fuel tanker following you everywhere. I can get 34 on a run. I can get 18 when having fun too!
alians1109

Post by alians1109 »

Had an RS4 2 years back and it's probably the best car I've ever driven. Had an RS6 before that and an M4 after, but RS4 was just superb. Best of the bunch
Macan S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNXGPN66
Miami|Bl Lthr|Pano|Blk Rails|Blades ext. clr|Model matt blk|Air|Sports Chrono|Blk T/pipes|75l|21" Spyder (satin blk)|18" spare|Tinted Tailights|Privacy|ParkAssist|LCA|18w|GT Race tex wheel|Bose
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Isleaiw wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:56 pm
Plyphon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:57 pm I do love an RS4 but their attractiveness to thieves and their low residuals meant it wasn't a car for me. The new ones cost more once you've added a few key options than a well specced Macan GTS.

£30k depreciation on mine over 4 years and 32k miles according to the GFV (that's between what I paid and GFV). I'm happy to live with that....

Cost more - list price or what you pay? Mine (Carbon Black edition, Comfort and Sound, sports exhaust, red calipers, metallic - no pan roof as I dont like them!) was less than a decent specced S when I bought it 15 months ago....
I was recently given a deal at £73k for a very similar spec, but GFV was a fair bit lower from memory. It worked out closer to £1000 a month where as a Macan GTS is around £800!

Id be very interested in hearing how you got the price closer to a Macan S, although 15 months ago is a lifetime ago in terms of car prices and all the nonsense going on with chip shortages etc!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94