Best tyres on Gen 3 'S'

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PowerMalc

Post by PowerMalc »

As far as I can see the Macan can be supplied new with tyres from one of; Goodyear Asymetric, Michelin or Pirelli.
What are peoples views on which one is best? I know you can not chose at build.
I have just put a set of GY asymmetric 5's on our Tiguan and handling is vastly improved especially in the wet
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PPHDBG45
Macan S ordered 14-1-22 Gentian, extended Mojave, Walnut, Air, sunroof, 14 way, ACC, LCA, keyfree, surround, spare, HFW, PS+, PDLS+, Heated wheel, rear airbags, autodim, vented seats

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

It's more than 2 years ago now but my Macan came with Hancook tyres which lasted 13,500 miles. The main thing is to have the Porsche N endorsement on the tyres or you'll never hear the end of it...
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Michelin.

Same for bikes.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

Everyone goes on about Michelins, if I had a choice it would be Goodyear Asymetrics every time . Best all round tyre by far.
Macan S on order in Black. Leather and 21’ GT’s- Cancelled. Coming soon 911 GTS. :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Often when a new Porsche comes fitted with Michelins, forum members (and not just this forum) say that the owner has won the ‘Michelin Lottery’.

My car came with Pirelli P-Zeroes. When they needed replacing, I opted for Michelins. Virtually the same price, but with seemingly much better reviews. I’m very happy with them. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:56 pm Often when a new Porsche comes fitted with Michelins, forum members (and not just this forum) say that the owner has won the ‘Michelin Lottery’.

My car came with Pirelli P-Zeroes. When they needed replacing, I opted for Michelins. Virtually the same price, but with seemingly much better reviews. I’m very happy with them. :)
So true, I've seen people changing their tyres within a week of delivery as they dislike the factory tyres so much!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I have 'Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 SUV' on my GTS. So far, I am impressed. Good grip in the wet, hard stops with no issues, comfortable, quiet and have retained wheel balance.

Early days for wear / life. But compared to my previous SD, they are holding up well. That came OE with 'Michelin Latitude Sport 3'. At like for like mileages vs tread depths, the Goodyear are so far comparable.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I quite liked the Pirelli P Zero on my old Macan, the current has Michelin Latitude sport 3 and they seem good too. I also run Dunlop 4D winters this time of year and they are noisy but grippy.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

I assume its because you all drive your 2 tonne SUVs so hard on the road - between the heavy traffic, cameras, speed bumps etc - that you can tell the difference between the various tyres that Porsche deem good enough at the price.

I had an M5 on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s of 4S and I now have an Audi on PZeros, I couldnt tell the difference 99.99% of the time.

And its unlikely I will keep it long enough for wear to matter either....

I do believe, as they are the only thing keeping you on the road, that good tyres are vital - but I dont believe Porsche fit bad tyres, just varying shades of good or very good...
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Michelin

First set lasted 21,000 miles before those that were original reached what I felt was worn enough.

Could probably have got another 2000 or so out of them but I wanted a fresh set ready for Winter.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags