Best tyres on Gen 3 'S'

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Sweetmeister wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:48 pm Everyone goes on about Michelins, if I had a choice it would be Goodyear Asymetrics every time . Best all round tyre by far.

Until they start to crack on the inside edge! I loved Goodyear assymetrics, had them fitted to all my cars, but had 2 complete sets fail (different assymetrics type as well). Wouldn't say they were the best by far either, Michelin PS4S are awesome tyres.
Michelin for me now.

(Freaky that I'm on my way to work at the old Goodyear factory right now)
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:12 pm I have 'Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 SUV' on my GTS. So far, I am impressed. Good grip in the wet, hard stops with no issues, comfortable, quiet and have retained wheel balance.

Early days for wear / life. But compared to my previous SD, they are holding up well. That came OE with 'Michelin Latitude Sport 3'. At like for like mileages vs tread depths, the Goodyear are so far comparable.
As your car is less than two years old, Steve, I didn't expect you to be commenting on this post. How many miles did you get out of the factory fit tyres. I know you've said in the past what tyres they were but can you remind me?
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

On-Track wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:30 am
SAC1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:12 pm I have 'Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 SUV' on my GTS. So far, I am impressed. Good grip in the wet, hard stops with no issues, comfortable, quiet and have retained wheel balance.

Early days for wear / life. But compared to my previous SD, they are holding up well. That came OE with 'Michelin Latitude Sport 3'. At like for like mileages vs tread depths, the Goodyear are so far comparable.
As your car is less than two years old, Steve, I didn't expect you to be commenting on this post. How many miles did you get out of the factory fit tyres. I know you've said in the past what tyres they were but can you remind me?
I changed the O.E. 19" Michelin tyres on my SD at 18,000 miles with 3mm remaining at 3 years old. On my current 19 month old GTS the O.E. 20" Goodyears have now done 6,600 miles with 6.2mm remaining. GTS wear is even across all 4 tyres and front to back. The SD wore the fronts slightly quicker than the rears due to edge [cornering] wear. The GTS corners flatter on its suspension.

Note: the SD was 258 bhp/ 428 lb.ft. and the GTS is 376 bhp/ 384 ft.lb.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

How does that feel to drive, more power, less torque? Better, worse or just different?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:04 am

I changed the O.E. 19" Michelin tyres on my SD at 18,000 miles with 3mm remaining at 3 years old. On my current 19 month old GTS the O.E. 20" Goodyears have now done 6,600 miles with 6.2mm remaining. GTS wear is even across all 4 tyres and front to back. The SD wore the fronts slightly quicker than the rears due to edge [cornering] wear. The GTS corners flatter on its suspension.

Note: the SD was 258 bhp/ 428 lb.ft. and the GTS is 376 bhp/ 384 ft.lb.
Shows what happens when you don't read the post properly :oops: . I thought you'd changed tyres on your GTS.

I got 21,500 miles out of the factory fit Pirelli P Zero summer tyres on my SD before changing them at just over three years. I'd also covered 9,600 miles on winter wheels over the same period. My GTS has covered approx 7,500 miles but I haven't checked the wear pattern yet.
Peter

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:31 am How does that feel to drive, more power, less torque? Better, worse or just different?
I'm sure Steve will answer for himself but in my case, with a similar swap from SD to GTS, much better. It creates overtaking opportunities that weren't there with the SD (which was no slouch).
Peter

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:31 am How does that feel to drive, more power, less torque? Better, worse or just different?
The SD was quick up to 80 mph, but the GTS is much more rapid. No hesitation when you hit the loud pedal to overtake or pulling away from rest. The GTS feels totally connected to the throttle at all times. The Sport Chrono adds another layer of rabid on top. The 20 second burst is particularly useful for safely passing two or three 40 mph dawdlers on the rural A and B-roads that I use a lot.

Of course the SD was better on fuel consumption by about +10 mpg. With reduced Covid mileage I don't care! The GTS is just such a joy to drive. Today we did a 77 mile jaunt in the sunshine with the pano fully open and the heated Alcantara seats on = bliss. :D 8-)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
BarrieMc

Post by BarrieMc »

I have always replaced with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric and found them to be a good tyre prefer them to most others.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNNTBH34
2018 A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Current
2017 A5 2.0 TDI Quattro (interim whilst waiting for above)
2011 A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
2006 A4 3.0 TDI Quattro
2004 A3 3.2 Quattro
1999 A3 1.8 T Sport
Was an Audi man as you can see :lol: