Post by neilj007 »

You only hear trees that fall in a wood
Macan
Taycan Turbo

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Isleaiw wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:36 pm
PorscheMack wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:49 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:38 pm In fairness, Sweetmeister, it does sound as if your experience of Porsche customer service (or lack of it)) has been worse than most on here. :(

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy! 👍
Yep. Just make sure it's not a Porsche!!
Its not the brand, they dont own the dealerships...... well not all of them!

I ordered a Macan GTS in 2017, Solihull if I recall as they gave me a shorter wait time. I reckon I am a pretty undemanding customer, but honestly they gave the impression that they were doing me a favour selling me the car and the experience was shocking. When I cancelled - with reception as they couldnt get hold of the SE - he never rang me to discuss, just got my deposit back about 3 weeks later, not even a note in with the cheque....

I hope you have better experience. Since I have bought 2 Audis (SQ5, RS4) and one BMW (M5) with a much better experience in all cases. Maybe if the dealers had tried a bit harder then I'd be in a Taycan Cross Turismo now....
That was probably a crap SE rather than the whole dealership. There are two other OPCs in the same group (Sutton Coldfield & Wolverhampton) who have a much better reputation and there have been other forum members who speak highly of Solihull.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Jonnyw wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:52 pm Having watched this topic like many others end up as complaining about OPC’s. I wanted to share a view back on topic.
After 6 weeks my only comment is that coming from two Diesel Macans I am worried that my spotless driving record could be spoilt as with the new S it is very easy to find myself exceeding speed limits and needing to be a little more vigilant .
It is still a brilliant car and the son in laws are seriousness impressed.
It was fairly easy to exceed the speed limit in an SD. I spent four hours in 2018 learning the error of my ways :oops:
Peter

Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

Old Chimer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:46 am
resjud wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:11 am It’s strange how much value is being placed on the pre-delivery process for cars when compared to other premium products.

If I buy a business class airline ticket rather than an economy ticket on a budget airline, or if I book a two Michelin starred restaurant rather than the local pub, the very limited communication I receive in advance of the flight or the meal is exactly the same as it would be had I chosen the cheaper option. I have parted with money for a ticket or deposit in exchange for the opportunity to experience a premium product or service in the future and I do not expect to receive anything other than essential communications in advance of my arrival at the airport or restaurant.

Similarly, with a Porsche, during the period when my deposit is refundable in full, I would expect to be treated no differently to a customer at any other car dealership and only to be updated when there is a substantive update to be given.

I appreciate that the date of a flight or a meal is fixed at the point of sale, whereas the delivery date of a car is not, but we are all made aware when we pay our £3,000 deposit that build dates are subject to many variables and, save for the lucky few, we are not given any fixed date. It is not as though we enter the purchase process without knowing this.

The difference between ordering a Porsche and another brand comes when the vehicle arrives, when we experience the superior drive compared to other cars, when we take that last look at the car at night and acknowledge the smile it puts on our face every time we drive it. In the same way, the difference with the business class flight comes when we have space and comfort and free-flowing wine, and with that restaurant comes when we experience impeccable service and memorable, unique food. The difference does not come with the email reminding us of our booking, and nor do we expect that it should.

Do other manufacturers make you feel more special during the purchasing process? Perhaps they do, but then Wetherspoons sends me many more emails than Le Manoir and EasyJet reminds me of its constant sales far more than Virgin invites me to book an Upper Class seat. Does that mean I am more valued by Wetherspoons and EasyJet than I am by Le Manoir and Virgin, or does it simply mean that the former are more desperate for my business than the latter and more uncertain that I really want to buy their products and services…?
All well and good, but if you book a table at Le Manoir for a date in March, or seats in Virgin Upper Class for a date in April, then find out through a third party that they can't actually accommodate you until sometime in September....
Agree, it is strange. I know it's relatively exciting buying a new Porsche but I wouldn't expect regular updates on the order until about a month before delivery so I can decide what to do with my old motor.
Most of what the SEs will be feeding you back is probably BS anyway, to shut you up.
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hertsman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:17 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:15 pm I think that if they did a survey of people who had ordered a Macan and split it between those that had been on the forums and those that hadn't, the Hadn'ts would be much more satisfied with the ordering experience.

Before finding this festering pit of angst I would have just accepted the 6 month delivery and wouldn't have spent endless hours changing my spec and believing any of the personal opinions spouted.

Social Media - eh ! :lol:
Fair comment and probably very true. There is always going to be a minority that have issues/problems. When somethings not right we go to town on it, when is good - that's just what we expected and rarely say anything.

Would like to clarify though - I have not ordered a Macan because its a "Porsche", I have no interest in chasing badges. I ordered a Macan because I really like the look of it and my head turns every time i see one on the road. I would have ordered one if it was made by any German brand. I just didn't realise the complacent attitude that appears to come with a Porsche and its really a shame. They are nice but are they really that much better to warrant the price, running costs, and manner in which the OPC's treat us?

Maybe I'll stick with it and flip it for a profit! :o
I would imagine that every brand has good and bad dealerships, especially when not owned by the manufacturer. I remember Mercedes planning to buy up all of their UK dealerships to try and solve the problem. I don't know if they went through with it as I moved to Porsche (not because of problems with my local Mercedes dealership).

When I ordered my GTS in March 2020 the OPC had an allocation of 1 per month. I think most OPCs would kill to be able to get GTSs at that rate now and it's probably not that much better with the 2L and S. Generally, OPCs are not being complacent but have more potential customers than they can supply. That's just my opinion which does not necessarily make it so.
Peter

pmg

Post by pmg »

On-Track wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:33 am
Hertsman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:17 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:15 pm I think that if they did a survey of people who had ordered a Macan and split it between those that had been on the forums and those that hadn't, the Hadn'ts would be much more satisfied with the ordering experience.

Before finding this festering pit of angst I would have just accepted the 6 month delivery and wouldn't have spent endless hours changing my spec and believing any of the personal opinions spouted.

Social Media - eh ! :lol:
Fair comment and probably very true. There is always going to be a minority that have issues/problems. When somethings not right we go to town on it, when is good - that's just what we expected and rarely say anything.

Would like to clarify though - I have not ordered a Macan because its a "Porsche", I have no interest in chasing badges. I ordered a Macan because I really like the look of it and my head turns every time i see one on the road. I would have ordered one if it was made by any German brand. I just didn't realise the complacent attitude that appears to come with a Porsche and its really a shame. They are nice but are they really that much better to warrant the price, running costs, and manner in which the OPC's treat us?

Maybe I'll stick with it and flip it for a profit! :o
I would imagine that every brand has good and bad dealerships, especially when not owned by the manufacturer. I remember Mercedes planning to buy up all of their UK dealerships to try and solve the problem. I don't know if they went through with it as I moved to Porsche (not because of problems with my local Mercedes dealership).

When I ordered my GTS in March 2020 the OPC had an allocation of 1 per month. I think most OPCs would kill to be able to get GTSs at that rate now and it's probably not that much better with the 2L and S. Generally, OPCs are not being complacent but have more potential customers than they can supply. That's just my opinion which does not necessarily make it so.
More customers than they can supply is easily solved by increasing prices ;) ;) ;)
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
resjud

Post by resjud »

Hertsman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:03 am Further, if you find out subsequently that the posh restaurant you booked had given other people poor service or served fatty meat on occasions, might you book an alternative restaurant?
Sure, but the poor service and the fatty meat happen once you are there. My point is that the lead up to getting your car is no different to your lead up to the restaurant visit. If Porsches all fell apart once people took delivery (let's forget the panel gaps and pano roof leaks and transfer boxes and whatever else for now) then by all means, choose a different car, but to judge a brand on a pre-purchase experience (leaving aside those few people who seem to have had outright lies fed to them by their SE, rather than only receiving non-committal answers or no response at all) seems to be unique to the car-buying process!
Macan S delivered Jan 2022: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7N8UC1
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

resjud wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:57 am
Hertsman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:03 am Further, if you find out subsequently that the posh restaurant you booked had given other people poor service or served fatty meat on occasions, might you book an alternative restaurant?
Sure, but the poor service and the fatty meat happen once you are there. My point is that the lead up to getting your car is no different to your lead up to the restaurant visit. If Porsches all fell apart once people took delivery (let's forget the panel gaps and pano roof leaks and transfer boxes and whatever else for now) then by all means, choose a different car, but to judge a brand on a pre-purchase experience (leaving aside those few people who seem to have had outright lies fed to them by their SE, rather than only receiving non-committal answers or no response at all) seems to be unique to the car-buying process!
I think you make excellent points and agree completely but to be fair everybody isn't judging purely on "pre-purchase experience" if so there would be a lot fewer folk on this forum! It's just the human condition, everybody likes a good moan now and again! Boy, don't OPCs give us the opportunity in spades :lol:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

On-Track wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:17 am
Isleaiw wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:36 pm
PorscheMack wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:49 pm
Yep. Just make sure it's not a Porsche!!
Its not the brand, they dont own the dealerships...... well not all of them!

I ordered a Macan GTS in 2017, Solihull if I recall as they gave me a shorter wait time. I reckon I am a pretty undemanding customer, but honestly they gave the impression that they were doing me a favour selling me the car and the experience was shocking. When I cancelled - with reception as they couldnt get hold of the SE - he never rang me to discuss, just got my deposit back about 3 weeks later, not even a note in with the cheque....

I hope you have better experience. Since I have bought 2 Audis (SQ5, RS4) and one BMW (M5) with a much better experience in all cases. Maybe if the dealers had tried a bit harder then I'd be in a Taycan Cross Turismo now....
That was probably a crap SE rather than the whole dealership. There are two other OPCs in the same group (Sutton Coldfield & Wolverhampton) who have a much better reputation and there have been other forum members who speak highly of Solihull.
What is it they say, a chain is as good as its weakest link...?

There may be better, funnily enough I havent gone back to find out! Great service from all 3 garages I have used since and I'd have no hesitation recommending them (in fact my ex bought her car from one of them....) which I certainly do with Solihull...
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Hertsman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:03 am
Old Chimer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:46 am
resjud wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:11 am It’s strange how much value is being placed on the pre-delivery process for cars when compared to other premium products.

If I buy a business class airline ticket rather than an economy ticket on a budget airline, or if I book a two Michelin starred restaurant rather than the local pub, the very limited communication I receive in advance of the flight or the meal is exactly the same as it would be had I chosen the cheaper option. I have parted with money for a ticket or deposit in exchange for the opportunity to experience a premium product or service in the future and I do not expect to receive anything other than essential communications in advance of my arrival at the airport or restaurant.

Similarly, with a Porsche, during the period when my deposit is refundable in full, I would expect to be treated no differently to a customer at any other car dealership and only to be updated when there is a substantive update to be given.

I appreciate that the date of a flight or a meal is fixed at the point of sale, whereas the delivery date of a car is not, but we are all made aware when we pay our £3,000 deposit that build dates are subject to many variables and, save for the lucky few, we are not given any fixed date. It is not as though we enter the purchase process without knowing this.

The difference between ordering a Porsche and another brand comes when the vehicle arrives, when we experience the superior drive compared to other cars, when we take that last look at the car at night and acknowledge the smile it puts on our face every time we drive it. In the same way, the difference with the business class flight comes when we have space and comfort and free-flowing wine, and with that restaurant comes when we experience impeccable service and memorable, unique food. The difference does not come with the email reminding us of our booking, and nor do we expect that it should.

Do other manufacturers make you feel more special during the purchasing process? Perhaps they do, but then Wetherspoons sends me many more emails than Le Manoir and EasyJet reminds me of its constant sales far more than Virgin invites me to book an Upper Class seat. Does that mean I am more valued by Wetherspoons and EasyJet than I am by Le Manoir and Virgin, or does it simply mean that the former are more desperate for my business than the latter and more uncertain that I really want to buy their products and services…?
All well and good, but if you book a table at Le Manoir for a date in March, or seats in Virgin Upper Class for a date in April, then find out through a third party that they can't actually accommodate you until sometime in September....
Further, if you find out subsequently that the posh restaurant you booked had given other people poor service or served fatty meat on occasions, might you book an alternative restaurant?
Some great analogies.

Just remember in the long run we're all dead so don't worry, be happy !
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6