How does an OPC ordering process work?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PowerMalc

Post by PowerMalc »

I am thinking of buying a new Macan S, test drive arranged for Tuesday.
If I place an order with an OPC what are the stages in the ordering process.
As I understand it each OPC gets an allocation of each model but do they get this monthly, quarterly, yearly etc.
So if they have a monthly allocation of say 5 cars so can use one of those slots to then order my car with Porsche GB.
But if all those 5 slots have already been filled by other customer orders I presume mine gets delayed until the following month or until an
allocation slot is available. Potentially then my order might not 'get' to Porsche for months if the OPC I use has many Macan orders in front of me.

On my assumption that I will not get a discount on a new Macan my only bargaining tool is to try and find out which OPC has the shortest order trail
and has available allocation slots and place the order with them. Is there anyway of checking the OPC's statements of there allocation and ordering schedule.
Can you check with Porsche GB on your order status, I understand this is possible with Audi.
I am not keen in placing more than one £3000 deposit with more than one OPC but do not mind travelling for collection.

In the current climate what has been the shortest order to delivery time reported on a new Gen 3 Macan S ?
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PPHDBG45
Macan S ordered 14-1-22 Gentian, extended Mojave, Walnut, Air, sunroof, 14 way, ACC, LCA, keyfree, surround, spare, HFW, PS+, PDLS+, Heated wheel, rear airbags, autodim, vented seats

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I think the best option would be to phone a few dealers and ask for their allocations - as you say, you are unlikely to get a discount so the only real differing factor will be delivery time

Others have probably drilled down more in to the actual process, I can't remember if it is a quarterly or monthly allocation they get but they are quite different between them
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
davlewis

Post by davlewis »

That’s what I did, decided on what I wanted and spec. Then called 6-7 dealers and simply asked what their earliest build slot was and that I was willing to send over a build and place a deposit there and then.
- Macan Volcano Grey / Bordeaux Red Interior
- First time Porsche Owner
pmg

Post by pmg »

PowerMalc wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:44 pm I am thinking of buying a new Macan S, test drive arranged for Tuesday.
If I place an order with an OPC what are the stages in the ordering process.

Deposit, build allocation date and Order accepted by Porsche, build locked, built, sitting at Emdem dock, Sheerness or Grimsby, OPC and pre delivery

As I understand it each OPC gets an allocation of each model but do they get this monthly, quarterly, yearly etc.

Typically quarterly but can vary with supply issues, new models and factory holidays

So if they have a monthly allocation of say 5 cars so can use one of those slots to then order my car with Porsche GB.
But if all those 5 slots have already been filled by other customer orders I presume mine gets delayed until the following month or until an
allocation slot is available. Potentially then my order might not 'get' to Porsche for months if the OPC I use has many Macan orders in front of me.

Correct

On my assumption that I will not get a discount on a new Macan my only bargaining tool is to try and find out which OPC has the shortest order trail
and has available allocation slots and place the order with them. Is there anyway of checking the OPC's statements of there allocation and ordering schedule.

Not aware of checking whether any particular OPC or sales exec is telling truth on length of order queues

Can you check with Porsche GB on your order status, I understand this is possible with Audi.

Not aware of one

I am not keen in placing more than one £3000 deposit with more than one OPC but do not mind travelling for collection.

In the current climate what has been the shortest order to delivery time reported on a new Gen 3 Macan S ?

The message from reading this forum for orders placed today seems to be current S delivery Mid Summer 2022, GTS well into 2023 but does vary between OPC's and one can be lucky with cancelled released slots
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Unless things have changed the configurator we use is similar to the one the SE’s use but it is not linked to the ordering module.

The lockdown build is entered into the ordering module by the Admin at the OPC, line by line ( errors have occurred in the past but thankfully they are rare ).

Each stage of the ordering, wait, build and transportation process has its own code which the OPC will not share, they will give you the run around.

The one that matters is the lockdown V250 Vehicle Fixed, the actual build takes place two to three weeks later, they may want you to lockdown early by giving you some BS but do note that your deposit is fully refundable until lockdown when you have then entered into a formal contract for the build.

The next one that matters is V311 Entry into Factory Compound, after which delivery can be in the range 7 - 40 days and once the car leaves the Port of Emden Porsche generate the invoice to the OPC.

Our Cousins in the USA can get advised of each stage of the process, it is just us that get badly treated by Porsche.

My advice for years is, discuss your order with multiple OPC’s and even place deposits with the two who most likely to deliver when you want ( do make sure the two are not part of the same Group ). Once you have your build code discuss with the SE’s that you can supply a code if they have a cancellation or extra allocations. I did just this and was offered two early builds but these were before I had been to the PEC where the only Turbo on air with 20” wheels was located. I passed the cancellation to a member here who circumvented all the others in the queue at the OPC and took the build.

Allocations do tend to be on model and variants ie 5 base, 3 S, 2 GTS Macan’s etc. Do also remember Macan’s are built at Leipzig along with Panamera’s so production will be flexible based on the order book for these two models.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

In my opinion OPC don’t have the info, so it will be their best guesstimate. Info posted above is as close to the truth as we can get right now.

However, if you can connect with well informed SE, he should be able to tell you how many “S” orders they have ahead of you, and how does if fit their annual business plan.

Porsche GB is doing their best to support the committed orders with deposit (especially those within the committed 2022 business plan), but with all the disruptions, many plans have been compromised, so back to the guesstimates.

So, few phone calls will help you select a dealer, but if you don’t have existing relationship, don’t expect too much info upfront. Rather visit the one that is willing to help and see if you can get more info in person.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
MrBaozi

Post by MrBaozi »

The chances at the moment that any OPC have free allocations are slim to none. Both Porsche East London and Hatfield told me how the ordering process works.
Go to configurator. Spec your car and create a code.
Send code to OPC of your choosing. OPC creates an order for you to confirm, sign and asks for a deposit from you. You pay the deposit and your OPC sends the order to the factory in Germany that they would like this particular car. Regardless how many ppl are in front of you an order will be sent to the factory if you’ve signed an order and paid a deposit.
Anyone who has paid a deposit but has yet to be given a build slot will currently be at this stage.

Next is where it can get a little blurred. OPCs are generally sent their monthly allocations every quarter.
Different dealers are sent different amounts and are never sure how many they will get until they are sent to them. That’s why when a SE has no further news they really don’t. Until you are given a build slot any news will be purely guesswork. Where I ordered my GTS I know got a minimum of 10 GTS allocations in their last round.

You could place multiple deposits at different dealers but isn’t really the best practice as they would be holding quite a bit of your money. Best thing to do is to call different dealers and ask how many orders are in front of you and their allocation history for that particular model. That’s how OPC estimate the delivery times.