Pdls plus

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Wil wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:40 pm Hi all, another Porsche noob question.
I collected my gen 3 gts a few weeks ago and I’m slowly getting used to it, but I think there’s a bug in the pdls software, let me try to explain.
You’re driving along and it’s dark. Engage high beam with the column stalk and in the dash you get the green “A”, which is effectively telling you that high beam is on, it the car will decide for itself whether to actually put it on.
If there’s no other cars around, then high beam will come on, and the blue lights appear on the dash to tell you it’s on.
If a car is detected the beams dip and the blue light goes off, so you’re back to just the green A on the dash.
So far so good, auto high beam working as expected.
But, switching auto high beam off again is where it goes wrong.
I tend to not use high beam on the motorway. If the road is lit you don’t need high beam and I find the sensors sometimes don’t pick up oncoming vehicles because their headlights are hidden by the central barrier, so it often doesn’t dip properly and it’s more hassle than it’s worth.
So, Back to the issue, I’ve been driving along on an a raod with auto high beam on, but I’m following a car so the beam is dipped. We both hit a motorway slip road so I want to switch off auto high beam, but high beam isn’t currently on.
What I’ve found is that’s not possible without putting high beam on.
To disengage auto high beam you pull the stalk towards you. If it’s not on ,that will flash the lights, which I don’t want to do if I’m following another car down a motorway slip road. But there’s no other way to switch off the auto high beam unless you wait for HB to actually come on, then pull the stalk to switch it off.
Either way, auto high beam can only be switched off by having high beam on in some way.
Is this the same for everyone?

Sorry about the lengthy description.

Happy new year to those of you who are still reading this.

Cheers.
Turning the light switch from Auto to On and back again should do it
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Wil wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:00 pm
Tracky wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:54 pm Leave it until you’ve passed the car you are following ?
That works to a point, but you still end up flashing your lights on the motorway to switch it off, which is annoying for other vehicles.
It’s just really odd there’s no way of disengaging auto HB without HB being on.
I don’t disagree - assume AMG E class isn’t the current shape ? Mine had the matrix which were brilliant - have them on my 992 too
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Tracky wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:04 pm
Wil wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:00 pm
Tracky wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:54 pm Leave it until you’ve passed the car you are following ?
That works to a point, but you still end up flashing your lights on the motorway to switch it off, which is annoying for other vehicles.
It’s just really odd there’s no way of disengaging auto HB without HB being on.
I don’t disagree - assume AMG E class isn’t the current shape ? Mine had the matrix which were brilliant - have them on my 992 too
I opted against PDLS plus simply because it’s just not a bigger move forward over manually applying full beam where required.
If matrix had been an option it would have been close to top of the list. I had on an E coupe five years ago and they were absolutely superb.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

If you switch the headlights to on rather than auto, does that deactivate dynamic headlights?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Wil

Post by Wil »

martinto8 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:26 pm
RGS wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:43 pm Hopefully the next Macan will come with a Matrix Lights option which are far better than PDLS Plus ( old technology )
Have to agree on this I have matrix LED on my S5 and they are light years (excuse the pun) ahead of PDLS+ IMO
Yep, same here, the merc intelligent light system is way ahead of pdls +.
I assume they don’t offer it on the macan to keep the differential between it and the cayenne as large as possible, but it’s a shame.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I have PDLS+ and like the turning beam feature, the auto full beam sucks so I turned it off in the MFD menu system.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Strange, I find auto full bem excellent.......I wonder what the differences in use environment are to affect it
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I too find the auto dip excellent but mine is mainly A & B roads, not a lot of dual carriageway or motorway . I also find the turning feature very useful, particularly @ country road junctions.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Wil wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:19 pm
Highflyer99 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:05 pm Taken from ‘Good to know ‘ Porsche App. :D 7A0F242F-DC32-4EB0-9E04-BAB86AA96BD2.png9D0F3A58-47F0-449B-94D5-CBC3DA28E071.png12A21CAF-BF71-424B-9A02-1866FF05E87F.png
Yeah, as per my post, if you do what it says, high beam comes on.
Your full explanation is correct Wil, “it’s a Faf” and why I chose not to have it on my second Macan, especially annoying if approaching a large reflective road sign as you just get dazzled by your own headlights 😵‍💫. Got to say though I do miss the auto graduation adjustment, that is useful.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6