New to Porsche - a few Q's and help avoiding any 'surprises' of a financial nature.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
hood69

Post by hood69 »

Just a point on the finance.
Even if the HP payments work out too expensive and you need to go pcp it is worth borrowing on a personal loan rate so that you pay the maximum deposit allowed.
If you can put say an extra 10K into the deposit at 2.9% it will work out a good bit cheaper than that 10K at 6.9%.
Doing the finance correctly is the biggest decision to make on the car(apart from alloys of course).

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

That is such a simple piece of advice which is absolute gold! Thanks Hood69 I had not even considered that…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Confession up front - I've never had a Macan but have ordered and cancelled two. I do run an RS4....

I think the Macan is great, and if you want an SUV that drives well its in a class of one. But I need practicality (dog to cart around) and actually dont need (or want an SUV) preferring the looks of a traditional estate. I also sometimes have to take my car to work, and there is something about a Porsche that hacks off the staff but an equally expensive Audi sails under the radar.

I guess if you want the Porsche then you want the Porsche, but the RS4 is probably a better load carrier. I can get 34 on a run too and Audi servicing is cheaper than Porsche (although there is an RS tax it seems).

I've looked again at ordering a GTS for my retirement present for delivery in a couple of years time, but the challenges above (excluding work) probably still apply so reckon I am going to keep the Audi...... I like it that much!

Edited to add mine is a 2020 FL 2.9V6 TT Carbon Black edition with a few options, listed at about £75k but I paid (13months ago) £64k.....
Last edited by Isleaiw on Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Isleaiw wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:38 pm Confession up front - I've never had a Macan but have ordered and cancelled two. I do run an RS4....

I think the Macan is great, and if you want an SUV that drives well its in a class of one. But I need practicality (dog to cart around) and actually dont need (or want an SUV) preferring the looks of a traditional estate. I also sometimes have to take my car to work, and there is something about a Porsche that hacks off the staff but an equally expensive Audi sails under the radar.

I guess if you want the Porsche then you want the Porsche, but the RS4 is probably a better load carrier. I can get 34 on a run too and Audi servicing is cheaper than Porsche (although there is an RS tax it seems).

I've looked again at ordering a GTS for my retirement present for delivery in a couple of years time, but the challenges above (excluding work) probably still apply so reckon I am going to keep the Audi...... I like it that much!
B8 or B9?

Yes the Audi is more practical
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Tracky wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:39 pm
Isleaiw wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:38 pm Confession up front - I've never had a Macan but have ordered and cancelled two. I do run an RS4....

B8 or B9?

Yes the Audi is more practical
Updated to add more details on current car. B9.5. I actually prefer the way it drives in the real world to the F90 M5 that preceded it...
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Done got me wrong I liked the B9 as it was clearly a step up (other than missing the V8, although appreciating the V6 is more useable ) but when I was changing I could justify the £45k so uplift from what mine was worth at the time to the b9 to gain little more which is why I went to an E class AMG wagon which you could literally put anything in the boot!!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Thanks all for the tip on Clydesdale Bank, ill check that out in the morning. Agreed the 5.9% from Porsche is spicy, if you look at the 'total cost' of the finance.

Regarding seats - I quite liked the Kerb view assist you get with the 14 way - thats really the only reason I optioned them. I am precious about my rims and current only have street parking. Maybe the surround view is enough?

Quite shocked to hear about all these punctures! Absolutely touch wood, only had one in my lifetime many moons ago - and that was on a bog standard steel rimmed car with huge sidewalls :lol:
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Even if the HP payments work out too expensive and you need to go pcp it is worth borrowing on a personal loan rate so that you pay the maximum deposit allowed.
If you can put say an extra 10K into the deposit at 2.9% it will work out a good bit cheaper than that 10K at 6.9%.
Oh shit so - if I understand this right -

Borrow 10k at 2.9% from [provider]

Combine with 10k cash for a 20k deposit

This will work out cheaper than just a single 10k deposit and the rest at 5.9%

I had never even thought of that. I guess there might be an issued getting approved for a further loan for the PCP if I have the personal loan already?
Last edited by Plyphon on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Yeh interesting comments on the RS4.

I have always wanted a Porsche but I also like Audi as a marque, nowt wrong with those motors. I was shocked how much the price of the RS4's have crept up to be on par with the Macan GTS which is why I started looking here. That and the almost-double cost of insurance due to theft of the RS4s...

Oh that and the lower GFV of RS4s seem to make them quite a bit more expensive on PCP, though admittedly that is Autotrader prices and I've not looked closer than that.

I've not discounted them, if the OPC says I can't get a GTS for 12 months then it's back to square one...
pmg

Post by pmg »

I would not rule out an s that has the same engine as last year's GTS. In practice, if you look at the power and torque curves of the GTS v S then most of the extra go is at high revs and with very little opportunity to use it legally on the UK's crowded roads
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8