New to Porsche - a few Q's and help avoiding any 'surprises' of a financial nature.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Welcome

PTV is not necessary - I’ve driven ours hard and never noticed it under perform on the road so it is unnecessary and money saved or spent on the pano roof to brighten up the dark interior.

If do low miles you are likely to need services more often than 2 years so don’t bank on your schedules/pricing to be accurate

I’d have one over an RS4

I too had a B8 and the engine was sublime, handling/ride was less so and the one that followed didn’t up the game much more for the money I thought.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Great thanks, I think PTV+ is for the chopping block.

I've always been into the 'fast wagon' thing but their prices are more than a GTS new for a reasonable spec and the second hand market has gone nuts for them also.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
james718gts

Post by james718gts »

Interest rate could be better/worse from Porsche - it's OK. If you want to shop around, given the current interest rates available, you could get a personal loan out on 2.9% and be a bit better off.
This is an interesting question that I forgot to ask - is it worth engaging with 3rd party financers or just go straight through Porsche? I think due to the nature of PCP (only loaning the depreciation) a personal loan works out a fair bit more expensive?

My understanding with PCP financing is that the total amount you're borrowing (i.e. the OTR minus your deposit of 10k) is what you pay interest against. Therefore, OTR of let's say £75k, minus £10k, you'd pay interest on that remaining £65k. You then pay monthly payments which cover the difference between OTR minus deposit and the GFV - with the interest element added on top. So interest at 6% on a £65k balance could be fairly costly per month versus interest at 2.9% on £65k.

With a personal loan, you'd obviously be paying roughly the same of move per month but you're sort of putting money into a car kitty as when you come to sell, you'd have paid off a lot more of the car's value vs a PCP.

Worth looking into at least... I could be wrong too, I'm no expert :)
Current: Macan S (PPHWIVP8) and 997.1 C2S
Deposit: M3 Touring, 992.2 Carrera T
Sold: 718 GTS4.0, 987.1 B, 987.2 S C, 718 C, 718 S C, MX-5 RF D
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Yeah that's correct, and essentially what I tried to say but you actually... well, said it properly :lol:

Using a quick loan calculator, a personal loan paying back £65k at 2.9% over 4 years would be £1,434.77 a month - a fair bit higher than I'm comfortable with, though I do fully appreciate the upside you mentioned.

I guess the other question is Porsche Financial Services vs and independent performance vehicle financer - is there any cons to going with a 3rd party? I guess Porsche won't like it as they make a wedge through finance...!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I am considering HP with a ballon. The balloon is slightly less than Porsche finance but interest rate is slightly better - the key thing about this is the mileage you do is irrelevant, you just owe what the balloon is after the period come what may.
This is with Clydesdale bank as recommended by folks on this forum.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

As per others, PTV not necessary.

I'd be tempted to spend the money saved on the Black/Carmine Red Extended GTS leather interior package (Black with Red stitching)
You will also get the rev counter in Carmine Red.

My GTS is a GEN3 and 2 months old with 1800 on the clock.
I'm a regular on the M1 / M25 and traffic dictates a slow to steady journey, and my MFD tells me I am regularly getting 33MPG.

Finance - Porsche, of course, wanted me to finance with them, and I might have done, if not for their crazy 6.9% rate.
Even when they dropped to 5.9%, I got a far better rate elsewhere at 3.6%.

You'll see lower rates for personal finance, but a lot of these I found would only lend up to £25K for a car.

Seats - These really are down to personal preference. On my first Macan I had the 18-ways.
I found them uncomfortable and stuck with the standard 8-way this time round, which I find much more comfortable.

However, many will swear by the 14 & 18 ways.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Bazza06 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:13 pm As per others, PTV not necessary.

I'd be tempted to spend the money saved on the Black/Carmine Red Extended GTS leather interior package (Black with Red stitching)

I'm a regular on the M1 / M25 and traffic dictates a slow to steady journey, and my MFD tells me I am regularly getting 33MPG.

Finance - Porsche, of course, wanted me to finance with them, and I might have done, if not for their crazy 6.9% rate.

You'll see lower rates for personal finance, but a lot of these I found would only lend up to £25K for a car.

Seats - These really are down to personal preference. On my first Macan I had the 18-ways.
I found them uncomfortable and stuck with the standard 8-way this time round, which I find much more comfortable.

Are you able to say where you got your finance Bazza? Also have you done it via a PCP or other?
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Jon A wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:19 pm

Are you able to say where you got your finance Bazza? Also have you done it via a PCP or other?
I financed mine through Clydesdale Bank, they have a division that specializes in higher value vehicle purchases.
It's HP.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Bazza06 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:23 pm
Jon A wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:19 pm

I financed mine through Clydesdale Bank, they have a division that specializes in higher value vehicle purchases.
It's HP.
Great thanks, I’m considering this too after speaking with them. 👍
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

My input

1. I shopped around for better PCP finance and was told that either the Porsche rate was reasonable or that they didn’t want to quote which I found hard to believe. Definitely worth the Clydesdale enquiry though because they have been recommended many times on here. The interest over 4 years is fierce and is clearly far in excess of what a number of other manufacturers are offering. A friend of mine bought an M4 a year ago and is paying 2.9%.! I put a bigger deposit down to try reduce the interest payable and, of course, you’ll only pay the quoted interest if you run the car for the full term.

2. Seats. A very emotive subject on here. I had 8-way standard GTS on my Macan and thought they were the nicest seats I’d ever had. When moving to a Cayenne I tested the non-GTS 8-way, 14-way and 18-way and you really need to test them before committing. I ended up going for another GTS and going for the GTS 8-ways again and love them. I then added heated seats (an absolute must in my opinion) and a heated alcantara steering wheel (which is a nice to have but not a must on a non-leather wheel).

3. Most of my driving was motorway in my Macan but against the rush hour traffic. I averaged around 26-28 driving steadily. A burst of acceleration though saw that decline instantaneously. On the M4 50 mph endless stretch I got mid 30s. I’d also add that in 20,000 miles I didn’t need brakes or tyres changed because of that type of driving. But lots of local stop/start heavy accelerating and braking driving will wear those tyres and brakes far quicker and they aren’t cheap! The low profiles are also more susceptible to punctures so reckon on needing one a year at £250 or so.

4. Lastly, as a London driver, surround cameras is an absolute must if you want to protect those alloys.

2 Porsches in I hope never having to go to another manufacturer! Good luck with your purchase.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )