New to Porsche - a few Q's and help avoiding any 'surprises' of a financial nature.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

(Hope I've posted this in the right section!)

Hey,

So out of interest I sent a Macan GTS build to a local OPC and they came back with a fairly reasonable PCP deal.
With £10k down (most of which which I'll get from trading in my current car) and a 'On the road' price of £75k, it works out to "just" £809 a month, mainly due to the high GFV of the GTS.

I looked at the S, but by the time I added the options I wanted it was so close to the cost of a lightly optioned GTS, and with the GFV being lower, it would probably have been more expensive on the monthly.

I originally specced to about £71k I think, but the SE at the OPC said he based the PCP deal on £75k to account for first registration and tax and a few more options. I've since gone back and specced to £74,200 but there are a few things I could remove to bring it down if needed as I'm unsure what the 'On the road' costs are.

Now for the questions...!

Here is my Porsche Code: PNK52AW1

1: GTS... S... or something else? I do a lot of mountain biking, and for a few various reasons I like to carry up to 2 bikes inside the car rather than outside. (But might get a roof rack in the future). So, I was tossing up an RS4 or a Macan... RS4 seems to get better MPG (probably due to weight) but it's insurance is nearly TWICE that of a Macan GTS. I think due to how much they're stolen. I also said I wanted one last nutty ICE car before going electric. So at least 6 cylinders and 400+ BHP. (I'm guessing I know the answer to this one..., get the GTS!). The only concern I have is of the GTS MPG - not for normal driving but one or twice a year I drive from London to Scotland to do some mountain biking up there - it could start becoming an expensive journey!

2: Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus - I've read both for, against, and totally neutral for this. I doubt I will ever track my car, and in the UK probably won't be driving in much snow. But I do like a spirited drive around some country roads. Is there a final verdict? It's a good way to cut a grand if I don't need it...!

3: Heated GT sports steering wheel - I'll be honest, I'm only buying this for the black accents instead of the silver/aluminium accents on the wheel. Am I right in thinking these used to be Alcantara? And the standard steering wheel is leather anyway surely? It's one for the chopping block if I need, too be honest - the UK doesn't get cold enough to need a heated wheel!

I welcome any other comments on my build, also!

Finally, I guess I'm looking for reassurance on the cost of ownership - I gather all 'on the road' prices are included in that 75k figure. I've had insurance quotes around £600 (actually cheaper than my current S3...). Some Googling have revealed the following costs for 4 years:

Minor Service. £430 - year 2
Major Service. £560 - year 3
B/F Change.x2 £190 - year 2 & 4
MOT x1. App £30/£50 ea - year 4
Tyres. 2 to 4 £450-£900 - actually doubt I will rinse the tyres that much in four years but good to know.

Road tax is then £155 + the £350 odd for the luxury car charge.

All in all, surprisingly affordable, which is why I'm trying to find the catch!

Apologies for the wall of text, also!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94

hood69

Post by hood69 »

Hi there.
I'll throw in a bit of what I know.

I wouldn't worry about a once or twice a year trip up to Scotland as when cruising you'll get over 30mpg.
Regards GT steering wheel-no it wasn't alcantara but you could/can spec it to be alcantara but that was an extra 3-4 hundred on top of the heated GT wheel
PTV+ I have never had this on a Macan so unable to comment on that but never reckoned I'd be driving it in a way that I'd need the benefit of that.
Regards your service times I think a lot of folks find they are needing services done at about a year from memory and some in less time than that due to short journeys so you may be a bit out with the costs for service but others can chime in on this.
You will have time to save up anyhow.
Good luck in decision
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi Plyphon and welcome to the forum.

You're unlikely to get a realistic answer on fuel consumption because deliveries of Gen 3 GTSs are only just starting and the best you'll get will be based on gentle running in info.

Some journalists have reported that you can feel the benefit of PTV on tight bends but unless you really like to push on at all times the £1000 could be better saved/spent elsewhere.

I'm surprised the SE has not suggested a Panoramic Roof but as you're buying on PCP the usual argument that it will be worth more at trade in does not carry much weight.

The GTS is in the highest first year registration category so around £2.5k.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

Servicing if mileage less than 10k a year should be just years 2 and year 4. I am also assuming you do not trigger an early oil change due to too many short journeys. Your minor and major service post looks bit low, nearer £600 and £800,

The mpg of the post 2019 V6s varies more by use than model and should be in the range 25 to 30 mpg with even a slight improvement on the latter on a long run to Scotland
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Economy. I've just done Scotland to London and back and saw high 20s (on a Gen 1 3.0 GTS) and have never seen 30mpg

Steering wheel. Mine is heated and I love it!

Servicing costs. Way off sadly. Porsche used to publish prices under the banner 'Total Transparency' (Google it) and for the GTS 2 years 20k miles was £575, 4 years 40k miles £1250 and 6 years 60k miles £950. I've just had the 4 year 40k service done and paid £1492 less a 10% discount. If you are keeping it more than 3 years, extended warranty is £720 pa.

The cars are not cheap to run; Porsche is infamous for its crazy prices. A headlamp for my car (£2100) is more than I paid for a 10 year old Panda as a runaround.

I carry bikes too. Had an RS4 (B8). The Macan out-rides and out-steers the RS4 which is much overrated (though the old V8 was glorious). It was easy to put bikes on the roof of the RS4 but I'm not tall enough to do so with any ease on the Macan - fine maybe if you're 6ft but I'm not :-)
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Great spec but dump the sealant and compressor, add spare wheel and then buy a can of sealant when you have the car. The spare is a collapsable unit and comes with a compressor. As you are into mountain biking you do not want to be stuck in a remote area which has no mobile Phone signal. Been there had an irreparable puncture in fact I have had more punctures with my Macan than all my other cars put together, five punctures in six years.

Ditch PTV+ it is not worth it.

As stated servicing is every two years for normal mileage so if you are going to be on a three year deal you will only have the year two service.

Tyre life does depend upon driving style with anything from 12k to 40k out of a set of four.

Mileage on the MFD will probably read 10% higher than actual.

Heated steering wheel is the best option since sliced bread.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
james718gts

Post by james718gts »

Just a few of my thoughts...

You'll struggle to find many *new* cars that will hold their value as well as the Macan, especially the GTS. Most reviews can't get enough of them. Therefore, your money (GFV) is pretty safe. Interest rate could be better/worse from Porsche - it's OK. If you want to shop around, given the current interest rates available, you could get a personal loan out on 2.9% and be a bit better off.

There's usually a for and against for nearly every option Porsche offers. Most traders want a pan roof, large (>20") wheels, leather interiors (usually nothing too vibrant) and bose. However, as long as you're not going for anything too out there, I'd go with what you want - don't like the tail wag the dog. There will be some options that are a better investment than others, however.

Unfortunately, your service prices are optimistic for a Porsche centre. If you google fixed pricing for servicing, you should see some centres working to those prices. Otherwise, you could go down the indy route but a lot of buyers will insist on a Porsche SH. Your call though, depends how long you want to keep the car. Also, on that note, you can extend the Porsche warranty for many years which is useful. I'm not sure who actually administrates that product nowadays though.

Tyre prices are a tad low too. Depends if you want to run N-rated and if you buy new.

Fuel I wouldn't worry too much if you're comparing a Macan and RS4.

I personally think RS4 prices start to fall off a cliff after 3-4 years. I don't think you'd have the same with a Macan. Ignoring the current 10-20% premium on most used cars, the Macans are still highly desirable cars and the values demonstrate this.

P.S. nice build. You should also consider wait times and when you want the car. The GTS is a v long wait now.
Current: Macan S (PPHWIVP8) and 997.1 C2S
Deposit: M3 Touring, 992.2 Carrera T
Sold: 718 GTS4.0, 987.1 B, 987.2 S C, 718 C, 718 S C, MX-5 RF D
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Hi, Plyphon, welcome. My two pen'orth, I went up to Aberdeen from Sheffield in October and got 31 mpg on the motorway up to Hamilton (no bikes on the roof) it was less on the A93 after that but that road is well worth the extra, then 29 mpg on the run back south. PTV is unnecessary. The standard steering wheel is just fine but go into some dealers and check it out, you are going to have plenty of time for that before having to lock down your spec.! Finally, that insurance seems expensive, I have two cars covered for £400 with LV= and that with a few points too. That said I'm 65 and don't, it seems, live in a dodgy, sorry, high crime, area!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

My GTS is having its four year service (25k miles) next week and I was quoted £630 from Porsche Brooklands. I previously paid £780 for a four year service for my S. so I think you are about right with your servicing.
I have the factory fitted extending tow bar and a Porsche bike rack to fit onto it. It’s great as it still allows the tailgate to open even with two bikes on board. I also have roof bars and bike carriers, but the tow bar system wins every time.
Enjoy!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Thanks all for the replies!
I wouldn't worry about a once or twice a year trip up to Scotland as when cruising you'll get over 30mpg.
This is great to know - I was basing my MPG assumptions of the previous Turbo. End of the day, I'm aware it's slightly silly to get _too_ caught up on MPG when buying a 440hp Porsche GTS.

Regards GT steering wheel-no it wasn't alcantara but you could/can spec it to be alcantara but that was an extra 3-4 hundred on top of the heated GT wheel
Gotcha, thanks - still undecided on this one.

welcome to the forum.
Thanks! Been a lurker for a minute but just signed up now things are getting serious.

Some journalists have reported that you can feel the benefit of PTV on tight bends but unless you really like to push on at all times the £1000 could be better saved/spent elsewhere.
Good to know, thanks - I think it might be for the chopping block. I like 'getting on' for sure but I'm not going to be hanging it out on any corners.

I'm surprised the SE has not suggested a Panoramic Roof but as you're buying on PCP the usual argument that it will be worth more at trade in does not carry much weight.
You know - I'm not keen on the pano roof at all. I prefer a darker cockpit and wouldn't ever open it!

The GTS is in the highest first year registration category so around £2.5k.
Ah great, this is great to know. I can tailor my spec to account for that. Thanks!

Servicing if mileage less than 10k a year should be just years 2 and year 4.
Yeh, I won't be commuting in the car - just domestic and pleasure. I've put 8k a year on the PCP deal, but probably won't even hit that. Probably not many short journeys either. I'll update the service costs also, thanks!

Servicing costs. Way off sadly. Porsche used to publish prices under the banner 'Total Transparency' (Google it) and for the GTS 2 years 20k miles was £575, 4 years 40k miles £1250 and 6 years 60k miles £950. I've just had the 4 year 40k service done and paid £1492 less a 10% discount. If you are keeping it more than 3 years, extended warranty is £720 pa.
Oh dear haha. I wont hit 40k miles and possibly hand it back at the 4 year mark to get the new EV hopefully by then.

five punctures in six years.
Crikey this is just simply unlucky! Good tip re the compressor, i'll add a spare. I'll ditch PTV also.

Heated steering wheel is the best option since sliced bread.
haha, noted!

Interest rate could be better/worse from Porsche - it's OK. If you want to shop around, given the current interest rates available, you could get a personal loan out on 2.9% and be a bit better off.
This is an interesting question that I forgot to ask - is it worth engaging with 3rd party financers or just go straight through Porsche? I think due to the nature of PCP (only loaning the depreciation) a personal loan works out a fair bit more expensive?

You should also consider wait times and when you want the car. The GTS is a v long wait now.
Yeh I'm waiting for the OPC to come back and tell me I wont get it until 2023 and ruin all my plans!

that insurance seems expensive,
You'd be shocked to hear what my Audi S3 costs me in insurance! That's London for you. (And we're in a nice part....!)

Thanks all, lots to think about!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94