Anyone moved from Boxster 981 S to Macan S ?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PowerMalc

Post by PowerMalc »

We are at the start of the process of considering a move to a Macan.
Our initial move was an Audi Q3 Vorsrpung which we had ordered but due to Audi's inability to supply and subsequent deletion from there configurator means we will never see it.
Our current cars are Boxster 981 S and VW Tiguan 2.0Tdi DSG. The Q3 was going to replace the VW.
I want a performance car which the 981 gives me but open to that performance and fun aspect that a 380hp Macan could possibly give.
My 981 is coming up to 10 years old which I worry about in respect of possible expensive repair bills.
So now thinking of moving the Boxster on and keeping the VW as second runaround car.

What are peoples thoughts from anyone who has moved from Boxster to Macan? Did it give the drive satisfaction the I get from the 981.
Part of the desired satisfaction factor is having a convertible, will a sunroof be a good substitute?
My average mpg from the Boxster has been 32mpg,, could I count on getting 30mpg from a gen 3 Macan S
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PPHDBG45
Macan S ordered 14-1-22 Gentian, extended Mojave, Walnut, Air, sunroof, 14 way, ACC, LCA, keyfree, surround, spare, HFW, PS+, PDLS+, Heated wheel, rear airbags, autodim, vented seats

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

No to the last question, others will have to answer the rest though.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Yes

My wife went from a 981S to gen 2 Macan S , both owned from new

It won’t surprise you when I say they are completely different cars but of all the SUVs the Macan is by far and away the best drivers car.

You won’t have that real connected bum on the floor and adjustability of the Boxster - I assuming you drive it as intended

I’ve never missed the convertible. We have pan roof but probably only opened it twice !

It won’t be anywhere as economic - looking back on our App over the last 7k miles we have done 24.8 mpg which is a real mixture of all driving.

I was lucky enough to still have sports cars which helped me get over the swap I would imagine
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

PowerMalc wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:13 pm We are at the start of the process of considering a move to a Macan.
Our initial move was an Audi Q3 Vorsrpung which we had ordered but due to Audi's inability to supply and subsequent deletion from there configurator means we will never see it.
Our current cars are Boxster 981 S and VW Tiguan 2.0Tdi DSG. The Q3 was going to replace the VW.
I want a performance car which the 981 gives me but open to that performance and fun aspect that a 380hp Macan could possibly give.
My 981 is coming up to 10 years old which I worry about in respect of possible expensive repair bills.
So now thinking of moving the Boxster on and keeping the VW as second runaround car.

What are peoples thoughts from anyone who has moved from Boxster to Macan? Did it give the drive satisfaction the I get from the 981.
Part of the desired satisfaction factor is having a convertible, will a sunroof be a good substitute?
My average mpg from the Boxster has been 32mpg,, could I count on getting 30mpg from a gen 3 Macan S
I went from Cayman to Macan (Gen 1) to Macan S (Gen 2).

In terms of handling, the Macan is perhaps class leading for an SUV, but the Boxster/Cayman is in a different league really.

I wouldn’t count on averaging over 30mpg on any petrol Macan! I get around 27 overall from the Gen 2 S.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Wot he said. 981 Cayman S to Macan S
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I have a 986 Boxster S as well as my Gen 1.5 Macan S, as regards fuel economy the Boxster wins hands down @ about 31 average as opposed to the Macan which averages a startling 24.5. The Macan is a market leading handling SUV but a 20 year old boxster shows it the way round corners! As regards comfort then the Macan is very obviously the winner, as I never bought it for fuel economy, after 2 years it still makes me smile when I give it some. My wife & I often joke “ which Porsche shall we take comfort or economy” !
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

In 2014 I swapped from a 2012 981 Boxster to a Macan S Diesel. I then had another two Macan diesels before buying a low mileage 69 plate 718 Boxster T in 2020. I’m now back in a Gen 3 Macan 2.0 but have also owned a 2005 Boxster S and a 2010 987.2 Cayman. I think I only averaged 20mpg in the Cayman and 21 in the 981 Boxster. Probably only averaged about 22 in the 718 and about 30 in the diesel Macan. I do like a sports car but find that the opportunities to really use them as intended are limited given the shocking state of our local roads and crappy weather up here.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

As already stated not really two cars you can compare, what I would suggest is drive/compare back to back your Boxster then the Tiguan alongside a Macan GTS. It will give you a clearer impression of the differences.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

PowerMalc wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:13 pm We are at the start of the process of considering a move to a Macan.

Don’t know if you’ve test driven a Macan yet? I’ve driven that Tiguan model and the Macan by comparison it’s night and day! The turbo lag which the Tiguan has is all but gone and it feels far more like a hot hatch than a van. The reason I bring this up is if you have two almost identical sized cars will you use the Tiguan barely at all?
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

The Macan is no doubt one of, if not the best handling SUV in its class and I still love driving mine. However if I get straight into it after driving my 718 Boxster it does feel rather cumbersome and a bit lethargic. But to be honest I wouldn't have expected anything else.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25