Higher Mileage GTS Opinions?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Hi All!

New-ish member, looking to get into my first Macan.

I have seen a few GTS's now creeping up into higher miles and as such bringing the price down considerably. Seemingly under £40k at least.

How have those that own a GTS found they hold up with mileage? I presume the 3.0 is pretty reliable? Is it the same engine as the the S with a different tune or?

Obviously I would prefer to have one with a Porsche Warranty but given dealers are selling these there is at least a little back-up until a Porsche Approved warranty can be put on the car. Considering however that does mean £270 for a 111 Point and £800pa for the warranty it does add a chunk to the car. Not to mention any work that needs carrying out.

I can't decide if I'm better going for a higher mileage good spec GTS or a lower miles 2.0/3.0D. Given I can get the latter from OPC for £40ish with a 2 year warranty a less than half the miles I'm not sure what the better deal is...

Would be keeping for 2 years, 20k miles. Would anyone buy a GTS with 100k on it for £30k? Seems like it could be a hard one to shift.

Thanks in advance!

pmg

Post by pmg »

Jaws wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:23 pm Hi All!

New-ish member, looking to get into my first Macan.

I have seen a few GTS's now creeping up into higher miles and as such bringing the price down considerably. Seemingly under £40k at least.

How have those that own a GTS found they hold up with mileage? I presume the 3.0 is pretty reliable? Is it the same engine as the the S with a different tune or?

Obviously I would prefer to have one with a Porsche Warranty but given dealers are selling these there is at least a little back-up until a Porsche Approved warranty can be put on the car. Considering however that does mean £270 for a 111 Point and £800pa for the warranty it does add a chunk to the car. Not to mention any work that needs carrying out.

I can't decide if I'm better going for a higher mileage good spec GTS or a lower miles 2.0/3.0D. Given I can get the latter from OPC for £40ish with a 2 year warranty a less than half the miles I'm not sure what the better deal is...

Would be keeping for 2 years, 20k miles. Would anyone buy a GTS with 100k on it for £30k? Seems like it could be a hard one to shift.

Thanks in advance!
Gen 1 GTs and S with the Porsche V6 can suffer from oil leaks. Th other issue is transfer boxes but that now has 7-year guarantee.

Between your choices, I would say a lot depends on use. If use mainly long motorway trips then get an SD. If short trips in town then 2.0 lit. If driving medium mileages on twisty country roads then GTS could be worthwhile
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

If budget is your main constraint then the GTS might not be the best way to go as they had a high initial list and good examples tend to hold a lot of value. For your budget you are likely looking at an SD possibly a base Macan. I have seen very few Macan S with a reasonable spec/mileage for under 40k recently.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

pmg wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:32 pm Gen 1 GTs and S with the Porsche V6 can suffer from oil leaks. Th other issue is transfer boxes but that now has 7-year guarantee.

Between your choices, I would say a lot depends on use. If use mainly long motorway trips then get an SD. If short trips in town then 2.0 lit. If driving medium mileages on twisty country roads then GTS could be worthwhile
Medium miles and twisty roads is me!

I can go slightly over £40k but don't want to go too nuts. I am putting up half cash and half personal loan given it seems the most reasonable way to finance such toy. Hence my budget is limited. I don't wish to enter the worlds of 6.9% APR or go into my investments over a car.

It's a difficult choice to get the right balance. GTS is what I want, just not sure if it's worth going for at higher miles or settling for a lower performance car. With a history of performance cars it's a tough one to sell myself on..
pmg

Post by pmg »

Jaws wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:25 pm
pmg wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:32 pm Gen 1 GTs and S with the Porsche V6 can suffer from oil leaks. Th other issue is transfer boxes but that now has 7-year guarantee.

I can go slightly over £40k but don't want to go too nuts. I am putting up half cash and half personal loan given it seems the most reasonable way to finance such toy. Hence my budget is limited. I don't wish to enter the worlds of 6.9% APR or go into my investments over a car.

It's a difficult choice to get the right balance. GTS is what I want, just not sure if it's worth going for at higher miles or settling for a lower performance car. With a history of performance cars it's a tough one to sell myself on..
If you look what's available on Autotrader at present spending £5K more could be worthwhile seems to bring the mileage of a 2017 GTS down from the order of 80kplus to 40 to 50K
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Jaws wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:25 pm

if performance is key make sure you check which generation it is as well as the badge. A gen1 GTS for example has basically the same bhp as a gen2 S. Also check what the difference is in performance stats some of the differences between model years/variants is very negligible

Oh and 6.9% for borrowing 20k lol.
JBA

Post by JBA »

Generation 1 GTS anyday and anyway you can would be my advice. Still an absolute gem of a caring terms of design and quality. If it's been well serviced and maintained you won't regret buying one that's done a few miles and is 4-5 years old. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Gen 1 GTS engines are the same as the Gen 1 S engines but tuned to produce twenty more horses.

The GTS engine and gearbox is reputed to have uprated components v an S.

GTS suspension is lower and tuned to be the sweet handling version (until the Turbo PP came along).

The GTS had a better standard spec v an S hence is seen as a more desirable model.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

In my experience these cars do wear well, I’ve just sold my 2017 SD at 28k miles for £41k, I think that’s the top end of where any SD should be. I now own a 2017 GTS with 25k miles and it seems very tight still, just like a new car.
I should image the drivetrain would hold up well, the drivers seat bolster not so much. Mine is already a bit saggy at 25k miles. But, let’s face it, you are better off with a Macan than any other SUV for quality and residuals.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.