Anyone else wavering?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

MikeM wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:56 pm If OP is redeeming deposit entirely due to lack of wheel choice?
Nope, that was someone else. I spec'd the standard wheels.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

We live in the world of instant gratification… some years back I even bought a new car on my AmEx card. With maturity (not age!) I am acquiring patience and I am willing to stalk the car I want!

I find it deeply gratifying, keeping the powder dry to get a brand new Porsche with the spec I want.

In the meantime, the fast-talking guys in shiny suits, can get instant dopamine by getting a spotless pre-loved vehicle. Everybody is happy :D
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
cc3

Post by cc3 »

My SE phoned on Xmas eve. Still on track for Q2 allocation of GTS should know by end of Jan. Still a Real shortage of allocations for GTS and S, order book to end 2023. Could get a standard Macan before end 22 as more allocation. Some 911’s now 2024. All down to parts shortage and no sign of improvement in short term. I asked for Q2 so very happy if it gets delivered then.
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

Pivot wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:42 pm We live in the world of instant gratification… some years back I even bought a new car on my AmEx card. With maturity (not age!) I am acquiring patience and I am willing to stalk the car I want!

I find it deeply gratifying, keeping the powder dry to get a brand new Porsche with the spec I want.

In the meantime, the fast-talking guys in shiny suits, can get instant dopamine by getting a spotless pre-loved vehicle. Everybody is happy
Fair comment, but some of us want to drive the thing whilst we still have the faculties to enjoy doing so ;)
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

MikeM wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:56 pm If OP is redeeming deposit entirely due to lack of wheel choice? guess his heart isn’t actually set on owning a Macan. Good luck with whatever you decide but if it’s a high quality sport performance and handling SUV that’s desired. Well there really is nothing to compare.
How do you work that one out?? When I’m paying nearly 70k of my hard earned on a Macan I want it to be exactly what I want, not nearly what I want. A Macan is my first choice,however I’m not buying a Porsche because it’s a Porsche, I’m buying because I like them and I want it to look right,this is not negotiable just because it’s a Macan. If I can’t get a Macan to look how I want it to look then I wouldn’t buy one,would you? Whatever car I buy, I need to like the look of it, what’s wrong with that?
Macan S on order in Black. Leather and 21’ GT’s- Cancelled. Coming soon 911 GTS. :D
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Sweetmeister wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:41 pm
MikeM wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:56 pm If OP is redeeming deposit entirely due to lack of wheel choice? guess his heart isn’t actually set on owning a Macan. Good luck with whatever you decide but if it’s a high quality sport performance and handling SUV that’s desired. Well there really is nothing to compare.
How do you work that one out?? When I’m paying nearly 70k of my hard earned on a Macan I want it to be exactly what I want, not nearly what I want. A Macan is my first choice,however I’m not buying a Porsche because it’s a Porsche, I’m buying because I like them and I want it to look right,this is not negotiable just because it’s a Macan. If I can’t get a Macan to look how I want it to look then I wouldn’t buy one,would you? Whatever car I buy, I need to like the look of it, what’s wrong with that?
Completely agree. I too want black wheels but I am swaying toward the gloss black sport design wheels after seeing them in the metal. I have asked OPC if they will paint RS Spyders in satin black and they have agreed so that solves that problem. Have also ordered a Matt black front grill insert (instead of body coloured) so I can get the very specific front end of the “Python green package” I.e without the coin slot look of a standard GTS.
All this on an S because what it looks like is almost as important to ME as how well it drives!!
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
pmg

Post by pmg »

if the gen 3 change had not been made, and wheel choice was for Gen2 which wheels would you have chosen?

A car purchase is very similar to house purchase and an element of compromise is necessary. I purchased BMW's for several years. They were not perfect but I could live with the choices available. When the compromises got too much I moved to another brand where I made fewer compromises. For me, my compromises on the Macan are its weight and fuel consumption and it is also right at the maximum width I am prepared to live with.

I do agree with MIke in that if the heart was set on a Macan I would still purchase if the wheel design that was my first choice ceased to be available
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Agree re compromise to a point. The Macan is already quite flawed in terms of its platform age, average info tech and a host of useful features that don’t even appear as options! I’m happy to overlook these because of the performance and drive quality and even (to a lesser extent) the badge. But sometimes, for some people it might be that a lack of a wheel option is the straw that broke the camels back.
Don’t get me wrong, the Macan is a great car but it is possible (if you don’t spec it right) to make a £60k plus car look frankly crap.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

pmg wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:28 pm
if the gen 3 change had not been made, and wheel choice was for Gen2 which wheels would you have chosen?

A car purchase is very similar to house purchase and an element of compromise is necessary. I purchased BMW's for several years. They were not perfect but I could live with the choices available. When the compromises got too much I moved to another brand where I made fewer compromises. For me, my compromises on the Macan are its weight and fuel consumption and it is also right at the maximum width I am prepared to live with.

I do agree with MIke in that if the heart was set on a Macan I would still purchase if the wheel design that was my first choice ceased to be available
Wheels are a very important part of a car for me,like many say, wheels make a car. The wheel choice available is too much of a compromise for me, although I may consider having the RS ones sprayed Matt black.
Porsche have such an extensive options list, mainly so that when you buy a Porsche you should not have to compromise!
Weight and fuel consumption do not even come into it for me,why buy a 2.9 twin turbo and then worry about fuel consumption?
So,based on your theory, if most of the colours became unavailable and you could only have red, you’d still buy one? I wouldn’t because colour and wheels are the most important things to me.
Macan S on order in Black. Leather and 21’ GT’s- Cancelled. Coming soon 911 GTS. :D
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

Jon A wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:46 pm Agree re compromise to a point. The Macan is already quite flawed in terms of its platform age, average info tech and a host of useful features that don’t even appear as options! I’m happy to overlook these because of the performance and drive quality and even (to a lesser extent) the badge. But sometimes, for some people it might be that a lack of a wheel option is the straw that broke the camels back.
Don’t get me wrong, the Macan is a great car but it is possible (if you don’t spec it right) to make a £60k plus car look frankly crap.
Agreed. :D I don’t want my 65k car to look crap. I’d go and save 60k and buy a corsa instead. :D