Battery booster starter pack

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:04 pm
Percymon wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:40 pm
andreas wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:37 pm

Isn't the bonnet release a purely mechanical system?
Or could have charged at 5A for a few hours via the centre console power socket
Not with my generation Macan, the power sockets are linked to the car operating system and are only live for 30 minutes after the ignition is turned off.

Plus even if it was possible the rough running of the engine would still have needed OPC action to reset, the AA guy could not reset it hence the Recovery to the OPC.

In any case it was still under Warranty.
Col Lamb, what year is your Macan? Mine is 2017, and providing you connect the CTEK charger whilst the ignition is live, the socket does not turn off. Having just had a total hip replacement the charger is still connected now, it has been hooked up for a week now, and still maintaining nicely.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Toddie wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:51 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:04 pm
Percymon wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:40 pm

Or could have charged at 5A for a few hours via the centre console power socket
Not with my generation Macan, the power sockets are linked to the car operating system and are only live for 30 minutes after the ignition is turned off.

Plus even if it was possible the rough running of the engine would still have needed OPC action to reset, the AA guy could not reset it hence the Recovery to the OPC.

In any case it was still under Warranty.
Col Lamb, what year is your Macan? Mine is 2017, and providing you connect the CTEK charger whilst the ignition is live, the socket does not turn off. Having just had a total hip replacement the charger is still connected now, it has been hooked up for a week now, and still maintaining nicely.
You're right that as long as you connect the CTEK charger to the cigarette socket whilst the ignition is live it should continue to charge. However, if the battery is low then the power socket (or cigarette lighter) goes dead virtually immediately and you have to use the under bonnet terminals. Once you've got sufficient charge into the battery, you can revert to using the power socket.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

one question - if i am to go away for 5/6 weeks - is not not possible to detach the battery safely? Where is the battery btw?
Gen 1 Macan Turbo in Carrera White
Air, 21” wheels ACC Pano SurCam 18w LEDs PS+, Int Light Pack
Heated Seats and Steering, Spare wheel, SC, Heat&Noise insulated
Ext Leather, Sports+ Bose+TV tuner
Std Turbo exhaust, E&Drive, Sports Design Package
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Greddyuk wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:03 pm one question - if i am to go away for 5/6 weeks - is not not possible to detach the battery safely? Where is the battery btw?
The battery is located in the boot under the spare wheel.

There are +ve and -ve terminals under the bonnet at the rear nearside of the engine bay where jump leads can be connected or where a trickle charger can be connected.

There is no guarantee that detaching the battery is the best option as the onboard OS memory may be corrupted and require reset at an OPC.

Best option is to discuss this with the service dept at your OPC to see if they know for certain.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

Thanks Col.
Thats not so good - what happens if you dont have a garage at home and have no access to a plug closeby - where travelling for a longer period - or even being under quarantine would mean there is no contingency to prevent the battery going dead.
penport

Post by penport »

Greddyuk wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:43 pm Thats not so good - what happens if you dont have a garage at home and have no access to a plug closeby - where travelling for a longer period - or even being under quarantine would mean there is no contingency to prevent the battery going dead.
Hence my original question re Noco booster pack - has got to be better than nothing.
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

https://frazerpart.com/products/charge- ... le-charger

Is this the correct trickle charger to buy for the Macan? Same as the porsche original one but non-branded? I am seeing prices ranging from £65 - £100
i suppose i better get my christmas list together! :D
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Greddyuk wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:37 pm https://frazerpart.com/products/charge- ... le-charger

Is this the correct trickle charger to buy for the Macan? Same as the porsche original one but non-branded? I am seeing prices ranging from £65 - £100
i suppose i better get my christmas list together! :D
Exactly the same as I have, in fact I purchased mine from Fraserpart as well.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

thanks for letting me know!
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

The CTEK MXS 5,0 is the got to, but CTEK also have a couple of newer models - i bought the CTEK 'time to go model', which offers the same 5A charging and (from recollection) an ability for larger battery Ah than the MXS 5.0

I bought mine from Amazon for ca £55 a few weeks ago

Tayna and smartchargers UK normally have the best prices, but Amazon beat them on this occassion