Battery booster starter pack

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
penport

Post by penport »

Does anyone have experience of using a battery booster?

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GB70-Ultr ... B016UG6PWE

I will (hopefully) be away on a cruise for 5 weeks from February and just looking at the options re car parking:

1. Leave at home in the garage hooked up to my CTEK trickle charger and get taxi both ways
2. Drive to the port and leave car in secure outside car park facility with booster inside ready to use if battery is flat on our return (which I anticipate it may be having been left in the cold for 5 weeks on original battery now 4yrs old)

Pros and cons:
Re 1. I'll know the car is safe but no control over taxi turning up/timing etc
Re 2. As long as the booster works I'm fully independent - but how good are they and do they harm sensitive Porsche electronics?
Cost to buy booster v. return taxi ride is about the same - so would have booster for next time / other uses

Thoughts appreciated
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]

Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

I would park up and enjoy the cruise. If the battery is flat call your breakdown cover or ask the car park attendant for their jump starter.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Alas is may well not be as simple as calling the Recovery Service.

When I left my Macan in my garage for six weeks after I had surgery and I had forgotten to put it on a trickle charge, hence it was a completely flat battery when I went to get it out of the garage.

I had to use the emergency key to get into the car but could not open the bonnet or boot.

Recovery came and two hours later they had gained access to the battery but it would not jump start.

Eventually they got it started but to say it was running rough was an understatement.

It was transported to the OPC where the system was reset.

So no, do not leave it on the assumption you can just jump start it if needed and get on your way home.

Leave it at home on trickle charge and get a Limo service to take you and collect you.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
andreas

Post by andreas »

For 5 weeks, I'd leave it at home.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
andreas

Post by andreas »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:15 pm

I had to use the emergency key to get into the car but could not open the bonnet or boot.
Isn't the bonnet release a purely mechanical system?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

andreas wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:37 pm

Or could have charged at 5A for a few hours via the centre console power socket
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

penport wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:53 pm Does anyone have experience of using a battery booster?

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GB70-Ultr ... B016UG6PWE

I will (hopefully) be away on a cruise for 5 weeks from February and just looking at the options re car parking:

1. Leave at home in the garage hooked up to my CTEK trickle charger and get taxi both ways
2. Drive to the port and leave car in secure outside car park facility with booster inside ready to use if battery is flat on our return (which I anticipate it may be having been left in the cold for 5 weeks on original battery now 4yrs old)

Pros and cons:
Re 1. I'll know the car is safe but no control over taxi turning up/timing etc
Re 2. As long as the booster works I'm fully independent - but how good are they and do they harm sensitive Porsche electronics?
Cost to buy booster v. return taxi ride is about the same - so would have booster for next time / other uses

Thoughts appreciated
Re Noco booster. Yes, I have one, very good and completely safe to use but you don’t need a GB70 as a GB40 (£99) is more than adequate to jump a Macan. Just ensure you fully charge the Lithium battery up beforehand. As already stated you may need to open the car manually and the jump connection points are located under the bonnet, several examples using Noco and connecting to Macan on YouTube. Still personally would just leave the car at home on the CTEK and let someone else do the driving.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
penport

Post by penport »

Thanks for all your replies so far....looks like I will be leaving her at home

And yes aware of the emergency key (a couple of years ago I went to look at a base Macan that hadn't sold for ages on a local forecourt - the sales boy had no idea had to get in, kept blaming the fob :roll: ) and the mechanical bonnet latch.
But of course the boot is an electrical catch - although just checked GTK and jump leads are recommended on the under bonnet connectors not the battery itself.
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Yes but I could not open the bonnet as my garage space is tight and there was a shelf strategically located just above the bonnet that stopped me doing that.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Percymon wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:40 pm

Or could have charged at 5A for a few hours via the centre console power socket
Not with my generation Macan, the power sockets are linked to the car operating system and are only live for 30 minutes after the ignition is turned off.

Plus even if it was possible the rough running of the engine would still have needed OPC action to reset, the AA guy could not reset it hence the Recovery to the OPC.

In any case it was still under Warranty.
Col
Macan Turbo